ReefCleaners.org

the $3 soap dish

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

im sure some of you will remember seeing my soap dish before.

IMG_9579.jpg

IMG_9583.jpg

for those of you that dont have a fuge, its a fantastic way to add alittle cheato to your system. it keeps it under control, and prevents little bits of cheato floating around the tank.

recently i started fragging/trading some zoa's. problem is, i have a blue tuxedo urchin that seems to think, the only reason i frag zoa's is so he can wear them like a hat. :) he'll pick them up and cart them around the tank.

well heres soap dish use #2.

i added alittle eggcrate and placed my frag's inside. this has proved to be useful in a couple different ways.

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

it keeps my tuxedo away from the zoa's

IMG_0131.jpg

( i keep it close to the surface of the water) it allows me to position the zoa's in the perfect local. i can simply stick the dish anywhere in the aquarium, be it right under the light or at the bottom of the aquarium.

my friend liked the soap dish idea so much, he found his own use.

breeding nets. he has fresh water fish. the main tank being a 55g and his breeding tanks 10g. when his prenant fish are ready to spit out the youngens, he moves the mother to the soapdish in his 10g. once released the fish can make thier way through the holes and into the 10g, while the mother is secure in the dish, ready to be relocated to the 55.

i've also used the dish for sea hare eggs/algaes they feed on (which never amounted to much other than a food source for my fish)

IMG_7633.jpg

IMG_7626.jpg

anyway, i was bored, thought i'd take the time to sing the praises of my little $3 suction cup soap dish. hopefully it will spark some idea's.

btw i purchased my soap dish from homehardware.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do that.... Its a real problem when you look at a waving tree and think xenia or look at lichens on a rock and think coralline lol.

I do that.... Its a real problem when you look at a waving tree and think xenia or look at lichens on a rock and think coralline lol.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
Neat idea.

Do you find yourself walking through a store thinking, "I bet I could find a use for that in my tank."? I know I do. It's a sickness I tell ya! :lol:

not just in stores and not just with reef tanks. :) i have alot of hobbies that pay my bills, and tend to find alsorts of things to use in ways they weren't meant to be used.

i'm forever turning files into knives, skids/pallets into custom guitars (alot are made from some very impressive pieces of wood.) heres one im working on now, the flamed maple is actually part of an old skid found at a friends foundry.

(still alot of work to do on this one)

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

i even have a broken ostridge egg im using as a bonsia pot :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
That guitar is sick!!!! You should sell it to me!

unfortunatly its a bass. :) which is fortunate for me, since i play bass :)

i purchased a 1978 fender music master, piece at a time off ebay ( seller had dismantled the bass to sell)

the only part i didnt manage to win was the body.

i figured since it wasn't gonna be 100% original i'd use it for a project bass.

still lots of work to do, but its coming along nice.

heres the very first i carved.

skull.jpg

skull2.jpg

The Propagator

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2 You my friend are a talented individual !

Your knives at top knotch and your carving skills leave me wanting to say "yeah right that was cnc'ed !" :lol:

NICE WORK GUY !!!

I bet those pay for the bills and then some !

Which they should!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

thanks prop/justin i really appreciate that!

ask my girlfriend, she'll tell ya, im a dude with a thousand hobbies and no real career :P havent really worked in 10 years (knives,guitars,glass blowing etc are just fun things to do with my day)

truth of the matter, my only real talent is being stubborn :) if i dont get it right the first few times around, i just keep at it till i do. :)

I think you're being modest. You're a truly talented individual! It's a wonderful thing to be able to make a living doing things that you consider hobbies. Makes for a much more interesting life!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
I think you're being modest. You're a truly talented individual! It's a wonderful thing to be able to make a living doing things that you consider hobbies. Makes for a much more interesting life!

well looks like i'm gonna need to buy a new hat, this one doesnt fit anymore (swelled head)

but thank you! i appreciate the kind words.

interesting life, thats an understatement. but then again thats another story all together. :)

• 3 weeks later...
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

where did you get them for a $1. inquiring minds want to know :) :)

btw love the macro tank. could i get the link for the vender again, its not working in your other post.

thanks prop/justin i really appreciate that!

ask my girlfriend, she'll tell ya, im a dude with a thousand hobbies and no real career :P havent really worked in 10 years (knives,guitars,glass blowing etc are just fun things to do with my day)

truth of the matter, my only real talent is being stubborn :) if i dont get it right the first few times around, i just keep at it till i do. :)

You would probably injoy airbrushing.I do :)

hey icy, for the skimmer, do you think a soap dish with chaeto on one side and then a sponge on the other side would work. is the sponge included with the filter box just a square that fits flat onto the outlet?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

the overflow box is divided into 3 sections. section one houses the pump. it has overflow teeth to allow the water in. theres a partition between chambers one and two but its not water tight (1/4" gap on the bottom) chamber 3 is for the skimmer return, and its completely closed off.

chamber 2 has a large cut out in the bottom.

the idea, water leaves the skimmer filling chamber 3. it passes through a sponges and overflows into chamber 2.

the water can leave chamber 2 one of 2 ways.

bubble fill water overflows into chamber 1. bubble free water is drawn down through a second sponge and out the bottom of chamber 2. if any air makes it into this sponge, the 1/4" gap at the bottom of the partition

between chamber 1 and 2 allows the pump to draw it back into chamber 1.

its a very effective overflow box, if you can i'd try and fashion one out of some acrylic.

IMG_0755.jpg

on the soap dish note, i picked up a few frags today, so i got myself a bigger soap dish :)

IMG_0759.jpg

nice, i am going to try to just use one sponge directly on the output just so that I can decide its worth getting the actual box. the skimmer looks great so far though.

Archived