Cultivated Reef

cant get rid of cyano please help

Labguy

OK the tank has been running for about 3 months now and I still have a terrible cyano outbreak. Is there an end to this stuff it is covering everything?

Treat the problem, not the symptom.

The problem (cyano...or any other algae for that matter) is high nutrients (nitrogenous wastes, phosphates). The solution is increased nutrient export (refugium, protein skimming, water changes, activated carbon).

Cheers,

Fred

Well as I failed to state earlier this is not my first go round with the cyano. I tried the natural way to no avail. I do plenty of water changes I am running a skimmer that is rated for twice the size of my aquarium. I am also running phosban and reef carbon. At the current time I have no money or room for a fuge but it is in the future plans.

travisurfer

i have been having the same problem as you. everything is perfect. I have done wc's twice a week and so many other things. manually romoving it twice a week helps but I am going to try chemiclean if chaeto doesnt help.

bucknellreefer
yeah I am using RO from walmart it is a pain but I am not sure it is worth it if I am getting bad water from them.

I am using that water too and i am also having a lot of trouble with cyano. My nitrates are 0 so i am thinking that there must be phosphates in the walmart water. Is there anyone who has tested it that can confirm or deny this? (I need to pick up a phosphate test kit but haven't gotten around to it yet)

flow doesnt always help. i have over 30x turnover and I still get it. hope you find something that works labguy.

check to see if the spots that have it growing are getting and flow, chances are theres low flow in that area and its growing. Try point a powerhead in its direction and it can help greatly

beyondtheblue

Get a phosphate test kit and see what it tells you. RO water in many cases have phosphate in it. Thats why many people invest in a ro/di unit. It can save alot of time and grief for you. It is worth the investment.

Like I said earlier.....

When all else fails....

It works, and has no affect on inhabitants...

of course you want to follow good husbandry....

but "When all else fails...."

use chemi-clean.

good luck, Mike :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

cyano is a bacteria, not an algae and has to be treated as such.

even the most pristine of aquariums can have cyano.

over feeding will cause a bloom, but the fact of the matter is, cyano is not caused from poor water conditions, it thrives in poor water conditions.

chemi clean-one dose should do the trick.

btw chemi clean only has no ill effects if you follow the dirrections to the letter, it does contain trace amounts of copper, but it is reef safe.

smoke eater

Invest in a RO/DI unit, can get one relatively inexpensive on EBAY, filter direct. I did the Wally World ro water and had the same problem. Bought one of these and ended up saving money. Ended the cyano problem. If it is really bad use Marcyn at twice the recommended dose. Dose and repeat 48hrs later. No ill effects to the tank and you are not intoduucing copper into the tank. Treat the long term problem first.

I just tested my distilled water that I bought from Walmart for phosphates. I tested it with a Salifert kit. I got a zero reading.

Mel

er1c_the_reefer

how long has the carbon been in the tank? if longer than a week, remove and replace. make sure there's no dead spots in the tank. also, let your nitrates increase a little bit. yes, you read it right, let your nitrates increase a little bit. it really does help.

when all else fails, use red slime remover, and stir up the sand so that the cyano in the sand gets hit with it too.

The Propagator

When it was REALY bad. I use dto take ou tmy corals and cleaners.

Place then in a hoding tank or the fuge/sump for 48hrs and plop in some Maracyn tabs. Then 48hrs later I would run fresh carbon through the system for 3-4 hours.

The algae would be gone, my citters and coral would still be alive, ( no it dosent kill the micro fauna so no new cycle ;) ) And it was good to go.

But that was the old school way.

It works every time though.

you still have to find the source though before or after you have rid your tank of it or it will become a viscious circle :)

travisurfer

Im just going to get the red slime remover. The bacteria causes the "algae" to grow. Even though my water has always been perfect it grows just because the bacteria was already there. I stir the sandbed twic a week along with waterchanges so its time to be done with it.

Archived