• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been around much, thought I'd show you all what I've been up to:

DSC05262.jpg

DSC05272.jpg

DSC05264.jpg

DSC05286.jpg

DSC05287.jpg

DSC05235.jpg

The smithii is still around too. It's molting currently so I haven't seen / heard from it in a while.

Yankee

I just got a Mantis this week to put in my 12 gallon Eclipse. I believe that it is a small Peacock (he is about 3 inches long), and will eventually graduate to an acrylic 30 breeder.

IMG_1354.jpg

I was examining my tank this morning and found that the peacock has smashed the heck out of the frogspawn on the left side of the tank. It'll have to be removed to a temp tank - Hopefully it'll mend itself.

I think the mantis did this b/c we weren't home until late last night - It was looking for attention.

I just got a Mantis this week to put in my 12 gallon Eclipse. I believe that it is a small Peacock (he is about 3 inches long), and will eventually graduate to an acrylic 30 breeder.

IMG_1354.jpg

congrats. it will need a bigger tank asap depending on how big s/he is

I was examining my tank this morning and found that the peacock has smashed the heck out of the frogspawn on the left side of the tank. It'll have to be removed to a temp tank - Hopefully it'll mend itself.

I think the mantis did this b/c we weren't home until late last night - It was looking for attention.

lol, gl

congrats. it will need a bigger tank asap depending on how big s/he is

He (I think) is only 3 inches long, and I have already ordered an acrylic 30 breeder for him. He will stay in the 12 until the 30 gets here, which shouldn't be more than a month.

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

since there are so many new users I'll have to post this again....

0930 hours: Inverted water bottle with scallop inside inserted into tank

0950 hours: Water bottle secured to live rock with zip tie, due to strong current in tank

1030 hours: 3 nassarius snail captured, no sign of the fugitive

1130 hours: 03 actinics turn on, still no sign

1145 hours: Mantis spotted (regular as clockwork, he is a morning hunter it seems)

1150 hours: Mantis evades surveillance. Probable hiding rock removed to quarantine tank.

1235 hours: Routine algae scrubbing of display tank commenses. 3 clicks heard

1240 hours: 3 more clicks and another small live rock removed.

1241 hours: "Mantis spotted, I repeat, Mantis spotted, I have confirmed his whereabouts" is heard over the two-way.

1242 hours: Mantis hideout live rock removed and placed in "mantis extraction holding device" (Home Depot 5 gallon bucket).

1245 hours: Quick trip to supply station to restock (went to supermarket for seltzer water).

1340 hours: Backup called in over the two-way.

1345 hours: Agent 2 (codename: "The Wife"), abandons "Operation folding laundry" and joins in the search.

1346 hours: Sub-Operation "Fizzy Rock" commenses.

1347 hours: A lot of fizz, no sign of the mantis.

1348 hours: Agent 2 (the Wife) screams "I see him".

1349 hours: There he was, curled up in his hole looking like a recently disposed Iraqi dictator, stunned and in disbelief.

1350 hours: Agent 2 extracts the mantis with the newly approved 3 billion dollar "Mantis Eliminator 3000" (a pair of tweezers).

1351 hours: A maniacal laugh is heard emanating from somewhere, I suddenly realize it is me.

1355 hours: All live rock rinsed with saltwater and returned to main display tank.

1340 hours: Mantis moved from "mantis extraction holding device" to quarantine tank where he will be later interrogated as to the whereabouts of the missing tourists (peppermint shrimp).

Another successful mission...its time for this weary team to rest, until the next "click...click...click" is heard

oh yeah! i saw that one, he is like the G.I. Joe character ICEBERG. The arctic sniper!

Congrats. I was eyeing him up because I got the black substrate. keep up posted.

Yankee nice tank and Mantis, you don't live to far from me too. So if you come home one day and find it missing :ninja: hee hee.

Did you build the tank or have someone build it for you.

did you build the tank or have someone build it for you.

I did all the plumbing and minor construction (oerflow) myself - The stand was an old console TV believe it or not

DogfoodEnforcer

ill be joining all you stomatopod fans in the near future, as i will be getting an O. Scyllarus when i get back from my upcoming trip.

i will be using a 32" long X 18" deep tank for it. roughly 35G. im debating whether to use my HOB fuge on this tank, or keep it on my AP24 reef. i have a Tunze DOC nano 9002 that i was going to put into the AP24...but would i be better off building a plexi box in the corner as a mini fuge and keep the skimmer and pumps in there? like stash it in the back corner?

• 2 weeks later...
TheUnfocusedOne

Just got my mantis!

hes fiesty!

while i was aclimating i put a shell in to see if he was still lively

as i was puttin it in, he wacked it! scared the poop outta me!

hes currently patrolling, trying to find a spot to settle into

i think i might need a deeper sand bed for the little guy though

since there are so many new users I'll have to post this again....

0930 hours: Inverted water bottle with scallop inside inserted into tank

0950 hours: Water bottle secured to live rock with zip tie, due to strong current in tank

1030 hours: 3 nassarius snail captured, no sign of the fugitive

1130 hours: 03 actinics turn on, still no sign

1145 hours: Mantis spotted (regular as clockwork, he is a morning hunter it seems)

1150 hours: Mantis evades surveillance. Probable hiding rock removed to quarantine tank.

1235 hours: Routine algae scrubbing of display tank commenses. 3 clicks heard

1240 hours: 3 more clicks and another small live rock removed.

1241 hours: "Mantis spotted, I repeat, Mantis spotted, I have confirmed his whereabouts" is heard over the two-way.

1242 hours: Mantis hideout live rock removed and placed in "mantis extraction holding device" (Home Depot 5 gallon bucket).

1245 hours: Quick trip to supply station to restock (went to supermarket for seltzer water).

1340 hours: Backup called in over the two-way.

1345 hours: Agent 2 (codename: "The Wife"), abandons "Operation folding laundry" and joins in the search.

1346 hours: Sub-Operation "Fizzy Rock" commenses.

1347 hours: A lot of fizz, no sign of the mantis.

1348 hours: Agent 2 (the Wife) screams "I see him".

1349 hours: There he was, curled up in his hole looking like a recently disposed Iraqi dictator, stunned and in disbelief.

1350 hours: Agent 2 extracts the mantis with the newly approved 3 billion dollar "Mantis Eliminator 3000" (a pair of tweezers).

1351 hours: A maniacal laugh is heard emanating from somewhere, I suddenly realize it is me.

1355 hours: All live rock rinsed with saltwater and returned to main display tank.

1340 hours: Mantis moved from "mantis extraction holding device" to quarantine tank where he will be later interrogated as to the whereabouts of the missing tourists (peppermint shrimp).

Another successful mission...its time for this weary team to rest, until the next "click...click...click" is heard

OMG I was laughing for almost 5 mins after reading that. Reminds me of my first mantis story, just sub wife for "co-worker who wasnt afraid of putting his finger infront of mantis"

er1c_the_reefer

didn't think i'd ever get a mantis, but i saw this little BAMF at the lfs today:

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

sort of an impulse buy, but now he's chilling in my frag tank until i set up a display for him. w00t.

didn't think i'd ever get a mantis, but i saw this little BAMF at the lfs today:

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

sort of an impulse buy, but now he's chilling in my frag tank until i set up a display for him. w00t.

Nice! Do you know what type he is? (Species, genus)

Never mind I think I found it.. Lysiosquillina glabriuscula, I was just wondering because at first glance it looked very similar to Lysiosquillina maculata (the biggest mantis shrimp at about 15"). Anyways, still awesome :)

Edited by jonmar

I guess I'll show my mantis too :)

IMG_1503.jpg?t=1204432094

Lol I had to lure him out with a snail, so I could get a pic.

Oh and here's a pic of his tank :)

IMG_1500.jpg?t=1204432401

Enjoy!

that bumble bee mantis is beautiful.

heads up:

Uncle Bills on E. Washington in Indianapolis has (3) 4"+ peacock mantis'. I have been there on 3 different occasions in the past couple of weeks and have observed feedings. Great looking guys....just an FYI for anybody in the market.

I am not a fan of these uncle bills so much but this one really isnt bad with some extremely impressive tanks. One of their salt water tanks is about 5' tall x 8' long x 4' deep.

I know nothing about Mantis' (manti?), but was wondering why it is necessary to keep one in a larger tank.

Is it because they're messy eaters?

It isn't necessary to keep them in a larger tank because of the nutrient build up although that is a benefit. Normally you can base the tank size on the size of your mantis shrimp. Such as for the spearers you need a sandbed that is 1.5 as deep as your mantis is long.