Pod Your Reef

Awesome article on how to frag a yuma!

proraptor2

Cool, wanna try it on my pink? ;) We can probaly get 8, 3" frags... :P

-Mike

Lets do it mike! B) Ill practice on mine first then we can do yours

The Propagator

Thats how I would have written it up. dont be a fraid to cut'em.

Florida rics heal SUPER fast. Like less than 48 hours and you have new polyps. BUT just remember the smaller you make the pieces the smaller polyps you will have. Florida rics take a long time to grow out too. From 3-6 months depending on the cut size for them to reach

2" - 2 1/2". So dont cut too small.

I place the pieces in a lees specimen container with holes drilled in it for flow. I place some crushed coral or small rock rubble in the container for them to attach to.

The amount of time it takes for them to attach varies greatly.

It can be as soon as 24 hours and as long as 3 weeks.

all I do is place the cuttings in the container and hang it on the side of the tank where it can get a steady low flow.

I've been wanting to do a 20L and I think it will be a prop tank/hospital tank. This info will be very helpful in keeping frags flowing.

Thats how I would have written it up. dont be a fraid to cut'em.

Florida rics heal SUPER fast. Like less than 48 hours and you have new polyps. BUT just remember the smaller you make the pieces the smaller polyps you will have. Florida rics take a long time to grow out too. From 3-6 months depending on the cut size for them to reach

2" - 2 1/2". So dont cut too small.

I place the pieces in a lees specimen container with holes drilled in it for flow. I place some crushed coral or small rock rubble in the container for them to attach to.

The amount of time it takes for them to attach varies greatly.

It can be as soon as 24 hours and as long as 3 weeks.

all I do is place the cuttings in the container and hang it on the side of the tank where it can get a steady low flow.

I hear floridas are a lot easier to prop than yumas....I actually want to prop some yumas and when I do Ill take pics of the process an post here

The Propagator

Good deal.

Yes, Florida species are MUCH more forgiving thats for sure.

You can litteraly cut a 1/8th of an inch section from one and it will form one teeny tiny florida ricordea.

If it were me though, I would not cut a large Yuma into more than 4 large pieces, and I would ake sure I had a section of mouth with each one. Cut in a ripping motion until you reach the mouth on each side.

(In other words cut the sides 1st) Then line up a sharp razor directly over top of the mouth and PRESS straight DOWN using gentle, and SMALL side to side cuttin gmotions is you have to until you have cut through the mouth to make your cuts complete. You dont always have to get a section of ther mouth for them to live but its a good idea with Yumas to do this. It increases thier survival rate about 50% percent.

With Florida ricordea you dont have to get any of the mouth at all.

You can just go nuts and cut the bejesus out of them. As long as you have patience they will all grow into new rics.

You can just go nuts and cut the bejesus out of them. As long as you have patience they will all grow into new rics.

Put one in a blender, hit puree for a second, now you've got 50 ricordias!!! :lol:

yankeereefer
Put one in a blender, hit puree for a second, now you've got 50 ricordias!!! :lol:

or a different variation of smoothie. Naked Yuma, anyone??

Good deal.

Yes, Florida species are MUCH more forgiving thats for sure.

You can litteraly cut a 1/8th of an inch section from one and it will form one teeny tiny florida ricordea.

If it were me though, I would not cut a large Yuma into more than 4 large pieces, and I would ake sure I had a section of mouth with each one. Cut in a ripping motion until you reach the mouth on each side.

(In other words cut the sides 1st) Then line up a sharp razor directly over top of the mouth and PRESS straight DOWN using gentle, and SMALL side to side cuttin gmotions is you have to until you have cut through the mouth to make your cuts complete. You dont always have to get a section of ther mouth for them to live but its a good idea with Yumas to do this. It increases thier survival rate about 50% percent.

Thanks for the advice...hopefully all goes well...Im going to do it next week after I gt back from vacation wish me luck!

I fragged one of my yumas last night! Man it was disgusting!!!! It oozed all kind of junk out and was really hard to cut through kind of like a bad steak....I now have the 4 yuma pieces in a small shot glass with sand so hopefully they attach and heal...wish me luck

Good luck! Got pictures?

I got a pair of Ricordias over the weekend and will most likely try fragging after a few months. They're my first ricordias, so I'll see how well I can keep them happy.

That's conforting for me. I don't have the guts to spend $40 for a single Yuma polyp yet. Until I actually get the money together to use a test kit regularly and even doing weekly water changes, I'll stick to cheap stuff. lol

I know, I'm stupit for not doing a water change for more than a year. :D

water changes are over-rated anyways...My SPS grows better in dirty water

Cool, no more water changes for me!

:P

-Mike

Glad to hear that SPS even grows in old water. I thought I was walking the line with my tank. I was just waiting for everything to die.

Wel I fragged the yuma like the article said and failed! LOL I came in yesterday and it smelled really bad....Oh well....

The Propagator

Oh crap! Sorry to hear that.

Sound like you used a semi dull razor to cut them with though if it was that tough to cut through the mouth?

If its a floating polyp I always just use scisors.

SpencerShepard

I bought a bright orange yuma the other day and cut it up with a pair of scissors as soon as i got home. i just assumed it would be like fragging any other mushroom so i didn't hesitate. with the exception of the one that floated away and got lost, all polyps are healing well.

I think the problem with mine is I had to get mine off the rock....I think I might have ripped the foot when I did it...So how do you get these guys off the rocks?

Also if I just cut it in half while its on the rock will it make 2 or will then heal back together?

Archived