Top Shelf Aquatics

1st nano (thinking custom?)

twan

I had many small fresh water setups when I was younger and enjoyed the hobby with my father back in the late 80's. Now as an adult I am looking into starting a nano-reef. After browsing on the web I decided that a 7 or 12 gallon nano setup would be ideal for me to try my hand at keeping salt water life. So it was off to my LFS.

The salesman was very helpful but cautioned me that it would be hard to start with a nano as my 1st reef. If I really wanted to he showed me what they had. They were from a company called CAD. They were open top (which I am not interested in) and had lighting on an extended platform above the rimless edge.

He told me that the nano systems I was looking at online from JBJ were prone to leak and were not mod friendly to new lighting. He told me even with the CAD nano's he had there it would be ok to keep LR, 1 clown, 1 goby and a few snails and a cleaner shrimp thats it. No live coral or anemones.

I listened to what he said and went home to mull it over.

My goals are a setup like Gil & Liza have on http://www.oc-creative.com/reef/Photos.asp

I do want a turnkey system though including lighting, filtration etc etc. Id like to order something, throw in some live rock and sand and begin monitoring while it cycles. With this in mind I stumbled onto http://www.nanocustoms.com/catalog/

Either the 2006 Nanocustoms Modded JBJ 12DX 3.24 or the 2005 Nanocustoms Modded JBJ 6 3.18. I know they are different sizes but I still have not figured out where to put it.

I feel like I maybe rambling so let me sum up my questions.

Are the modded setups from nanocustoms turn key out of the box?

Any have one and care to tell me their experiences?

Do I need something like that with additional lighting if I wanna keep live corals or is a stock JBJ cube ok for me?

Do I need a seperate heater (lfs guy said with a CAD cube 6g I didnt) ?

Can I take reef water from them and I wont have to worry about cycle (they offered this)?

Are the modded setups from nanocustoms turn key out of the box?

nanocustoms.com stuff is very nice! THey got great customer service so I think its good choice if you decide to go that route.

Any have one and care to tell me their experiences?

I guess newer JBJ Cubes are supposed to be better, but older ones had very bad leaking/craking problem. I lost $$$$ to my NanoCube 6 cracking so I wouldn't recommend it. Here is pic of what I lost.

full13.jpg

Do I need something like that with additional lighting if I wanna keep live corals or is a stock JBJ cube ok for me?

Well, you will be able to keep lower light corals like Zoanthids and Mushrooms, but even those would look better with more lighting.

Do I need a seperate heater (lfs guy said with a CAD cube 6g I didnt) ?

That all depends how hot the tank runs, how hot your house is, etc....

Can I take reef water from them and I wont have to worry about cycle (they offered this)?

I guess using cured rock and water from established tank can shorten the cycle, but I never liked getting water from LFS..... God knows what they put in it. Also Salinity will be off because lots of times LFS keep their salinity lower then home tanks. I say, buy cured rock if you want, but mix a fresh batch of water yourself.

Welcome to NR

Thanks oogie.

So do I need to order a separate heater with my nanocustoms order?

My home with central air is a bit cool in the summer. I will probably need one.

I am absorbing as much as I can and the recently bumped thread here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...4602&st=140

Has helped me a ton.

Looking to purchase all the equipment I need in the next 2 weeks.

I am leaning towards this one:

http://www.nanocustoms.com/catalog/product...products_id=101

Just wondering what else I will need with that besides a marine water test kit, heater, sand and LR to get started?

Looking forward to more replies :D

Just remeber, with all those lights and pumps in the tank, it will run much higher then your ambient temp. This is what I would do....

When you get the tank, go ahead fill it up with RO/DI water. Don't add salt yet, and just monitor your temp. Like with your lights on, lights off, during night times... etc..... Then you will have clear idea if you need heater at all, or what kind of heater you need.

Obviously you will need salt and refractometer. Try to get refractometer instead of hydrometer, it will save you TONS and TONS of headache!

Welcome. I currently have two setups, both 24 gallon. One is a JBJ nano cube and the other is an Aquapod. I like the stock lighting and individual controls on the AP better. I bought the 3.36 hood for my JBJ from nano customs and I must say that it's nicer than the stock AP. They do really nice work and are easy to deal with. Either way, you'll want to upgrade your pump.

Robb

When ordering I can select these options:

- 1st Bulb Type ?

- Moonlight Option ?

- second bulb type?

- third bulb type?

- Rear Sump Lighting ?

- Ballast Control Base ?

- hinges none ?

- ICA Chiller none?

What should I go with?

Obsessed Reefer

:welcome: to nr.com.

The older versions of the NC were prone to cracking, which is a bummer. And it sucked in oogie's case, cus he lost beautiful SPS. But he still one 2nd place which I beleive helped him start another tank.

I have the 06 12G JBJ NC Deluxe and I love it. No problems with it. Lighrting is good. If you want SPS of some LPS you need to upgrade. But I like zoanthids, shrooms, and other soft corals

If you do end up getting a 12 Gallon nano Cube, Most people upgrade the stock pump for something better, I got the Maxi Jet 900. Umm.... You will want moonlights. You really might not need a ICA Chiller... Cant really think of to much else, except

GOOD LUCK!!!

Jesse

I would just call them. Nick or Chris are super easy to work with and very low pressure.

They will gladly talk you through your decisions, and I found my purchasing experience to be low pressure (no hard sell).

Their number is 805.277.3292

I bought one of their High end systems (the MH 12) and could not be happier with it. Its a bit pricier, but I havent had any problems and am eagerly anticipating stocking it (I took my time and am still cycling).

Cheers

If you buy the Cube seperately, then you can just just do the 3.24 upgrade on your own if you are the least bit handy. It's much cheaper than ordering a modded cube.

You would be surprised what you can keep in just a stock cube. My advice is get the cube and run it for a few months before you contemplate a mod for it. Then you will have an idea of the shortcomings of the cube and what you would like to change. Many of the changes can be done w/o even ordering the official mod. I just did the 3.36 mod for my NC 24 and its basically a peice of sheetmetal, some PC fans, and a ballast. Don't get me wrong, I never would have been able to do it without thier directions and I am happy with the result, but it is a really simple mod when It's all said and done.

Get a Cube or pod and try it out, then upgrade if you want to. You might even decide to start a new customized setup in a few months rather than upgrade.

You do need a heater to control temperature fluctuations in the tank. I would not go without one and they are cheap.

only advice is to get the best quality you can afford from the start and it will save you alot of frustration later. You sound like you've been giving it alot of thought. Look forward to seeing what you put together.

Chupacabras
only advice is to get the best quality you can afford from the start and it will save you alot of frustration later. You sound like you've been giving it alot of thought. Look forward to seeing what you put together.

Best piece of advice there is... do it right from the start and you'll be much, much happier with your fishkeeping experience than if you hadn't.

I will call nanocustoms later today if they are open (july 3rd).

I just want to run the lighting options by you all. I have 3 bulbs I need to pick.

I am also adding their R2 Solutions 5 led moonlight.

This will be my complete lighting setup.

How does this look?

1st bulb 50/50

2nd bulb 50/50

3rd bulb Nanocustoms Actinic Blue 24w

R2 Solutions 5 led moonlight

Might be a little bluer than you might want. I would go with at least 1 of the first 2 bulbs as a 10K and the third actinic. 50/50's aren't really actinic. With the 2006 DX you can get 3-36 watt bulbs. I would go for that rather than a 24 watt. Put the actinic in the third spot because it is on its own circuit. I don't know if the extra 3 moonlights is worth the money. It comes stock with 2.

Otherwise good.

Thanks for your suggestions. See I am not sure what bulbs I need or if it came stock with any LEDS. Thanks very much.

Do I need the 50/50's at all or should I just go with both of the front ones 10K and the third actinic?

I run 2-36 watt 10k on one circuit, 1- 36 watt actinic on the second. Actinic comes on an hour before the 10k's and stays on an hour after the 10k's to create the dawn/dusk effect. This works well for me.

10K's supposedly have more Photosynthetic Active radiation so they encourge better growth.

Nanocustoms uses modded stock hoods so they will come with 2 LED's stock. LED's don't do anything other than look cool, so having more has little benefit. I think the extra moonlights cost like 35$ if I'm not mistaken. Make sure you get the fix for them because the stock moonlights can't be used on a timer as the power supply is shared with the stock ballast. You can modify them yourself if you prefer by just cutting them from the ballast and wiring them to a 12 volt adapter. I can send pics of the procedure if you need.

So it might be best to forget the extra moonlighting since it already has 2 and add Rear Sump Lighting for approx the same price? Seems a better solution.

Now I am wondering about the balast control. If I want it like you have setup "Actinic comes on an hour before the 10k's and stays on an hour after the 10k's to create the dawn/dusk effect" I need the dual powercord option and not the $70 independant 3 x 24 right?

My budget is $300 (shipped) so that $70 balast control option is a little off for me.

Just wondering If I can achieve your dawn/dusk effect with the Dual Powercord option from them.

I am configuring here:

http://www.nanocustoms.com/catalog/product...products_id=101

edit: seems like the special for $239 on them is over and they are back to $269. Damn it!

Sorry, I reread the entire first post, and now see that you are getting the 12 gallon. I thought you were going for the 24, so forget what I said about the 36 watt and pretend I have talking about 24 watts.

As far as I know the 12 gallon is wired the same as the 24. The stock lighting runs off of a dual-24 watt ballast. Nanotuners adds a separate 24 watt ballast next to the stock dual ballast in the same stock case. So you have 2 ballasts and power cords coming from the same case, you can then run them on separate timers. I would thus conclude that the 70$ ballst control is rather unnecessary when you can achieve the same effect using 2- 10$ grounded timers. The only bonus would be that the ballast control might look a little cleaner than the 50 wires I have coming from my tank

If someone has done the 3.24 upgrade please chime in and back me up here.

You really save quite a bit by doing the work yourself. You can just buy the stock 2006DX cube from the cheapest online vendor, and then order the upgrade from Nanotuners. It'll probably save you 60-70 dollars. All you need are wirecutters, philips screwdriver, pliers and a power drill, and about 2 hours.

Speak to Chris directly, he's such a nice guy he will probably give you the better deal.

One thing you need to consider is that modding your cube voids the warranty.

Talked with a few friends and someone over at nanocustoms.

I am about to order the tank tomorrow.

I am going to order my accesories on friday.

I am going to get my salt / live rock / substrate from my LFS when the tank arrives.

Tank order:

2006 Nanocustoms Nanocube 12DX - 3.24 Series (72w)

- Bulb 1 Type 10000K Daylight

- Bulb 2 Type 10000K Daylight

- Bulb 3 Type Actinic Blue

- Cooling Fans Standard Flow

- Moonlight Option NVM Fix & Power Adapter

- ICA Chiller none

- Fuge Light none

- AC Adapter 12v/500mA AC Adapter

- Warranty Standard 6 mo - Excludes Bulbs

Subtotal = $282 shipped ( I am in NY)

I dont really need the moonlight option. Fuge lighting sounds good but I am going to DIY someday down the road not right off the bat.

Accessories Order:

CD-18773 Thermometer 2-1/4" x 1-1/2" $4.99

CD-17029 Theo Heater (50 watt) $15.99

CD-25773 Master Test Kit 5-in-1 $28.99

CD-25731 Power Center Single Digital $21.99

CD-18832 Cyclop-Eeze Freeze-Dried (30 g) $6.99

CD-12003 Ocean Nutrition Formula One Flakes 5.5 oz $8.99

CD-14035 Portable Refractometer $39.99

Subtotal = $127.93

Like I said above LR, substrate and sand I plan to get at my LFS.

Am I missing anything?!?!?!?

Thanks in advance!

beyondtheblue

To be safe I would fill the tank with water and check for leaks and make sure everything is working first before adding anything. :happy:

Thankx beyondtheblue, I plan on doing that.

Any1 else care to look through my order and let me know if I am missing anything?

SOunds good twan! Starting to look like you are gonna have great system!!!!

Maybe I would get 10K for first bulb, then 50/50 for 2nd bulb, and actinic for 3rd. That way you can set your automatic timer so that it comes on following sequence.

11 am actinic on

12 pm 50/50 on

1 pm 10K on

then

11 pm 10k off

12 am 50/50 off

1 am actinic off.

Would make a cool dawn/dusk effect.

Thanks for the reply oogie.

I am going to go ahead and place my tank order then my accesories order today.

Ive been reading everything I can get my hands on since I started browsing this forum 3 weeks ago. I think I have come a long way in understanding some basic concepts.............now to apply those and get started on my own little slice of the reef. Of course taking it slow at every step.

I dont think I am missing anything other then LR, substrate and salt which I will get local.

For ease of use since I do not have an RO/DI setup I anticipate using distilled water (for initial setup and weekly changes). Hope all goes well. :D

Archived