Top Shelf Aquatics

Poly filter

S.I.C.

Hello all.

I have heard different opinions about poly filters.

One is only use it for about 3-4 to days then remove it becuase the filter removes to much.

I have heard leave it in all the time.

I have put mine in for a week now and it has helped with water clarity, the foul oder I was getting when cleaning the glass, and slowed the growth of my hair algae.

Overall not sure what to do now as I don't want to damage my reef.

Regards,

Reefin'

i use them 24/7, no problems.

very easy to gauge when they're saturated with organics or pollutants via their color change.

as for removing too much stuff, i'd like to know what specifically it's removing too much of. i believe the makers (poly-bio marine) formulated it to equate to nsw levels. so once it removes whatever to nsw, it becomes 'saturated' (at least that's the story told to me :P ).

now my schedule of change does equate out to the same 3~4 day schedule you mention but that's more due to saturation level than limiting its adsorption ability. i take one cut-to-size pad and replace immediately with another. i usually get three cycles per pad, i.e. cut into three equal-sized pieces.

I am not sure of the "stuff" details. "Trace elements essential for the tank" is a direct qoute. I should have asked for the details.

:unsure:

clifford513

Are you talking about the poly floss? If so, it removes no trace elements. The big thing with filter media is to maintain regular changes to keep ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites from forming. I rarely use poly floss but find that detritus builds up so badly that it has to be run for a few days at a time and detritus constantly blown around wit the turkey baster to remove it. I too have heard, and I am not even sure where now, that you shouldn't run them 24/7. I'm beginning to think that if changed routinely it would be best to do though. Any others have an opinion on this?

I use floss 24/7, but I also change it every few days. I think it could be a source of nitrates if it is not changed religiously. When you remove it, its pretty brown so I figure it must be good to be getting that stuff out every few days. Right before each change I turkey baste the rockwork and let the filter run until the water is clear and then pull the floss and replace.

i think there's two subjects being discussed here.

the first is Poly Filters (brand name). this is a chemical adsorption media. very handy as it can be cut into almost any shape and color changes as it becomes saturated (versus other chemical adsorbing media like carbon or Chemi-Pure).

the second is polyfibers/floss material. this can also be purchased in any arts & craft store as pillow filler (and usually much cheaper than lfs or online). this is basically a particulate filter that should be changed fairly often to avoid decay of the trapped matter.

edit: i don't spell too good late at night. *yawn*

reefernanoman

I just use my stock sponge from my tank and rinse it out once a week with no problems. I do this with the old water from my tank, when I do my weekly water changes. I don't like the idea of buying this stuff all the time. Just my 2 cents

Archived