yellowtube.jpg

enjoy :D

-brad

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ikuwaseven
What type of camera?

its an old fuji finepix s3100 4mp camera... it really does suck...

but i found one of those 20 dollar 10x macro lenses on ebay and bought one... its one of those kind where you have to be a certain distance from the subject to get it in focus.. which is okay cause most of the corals in my nanocube are up close to the glass...

oh yeah and the camera doesnt have custom white balance... so everything comes out blue... put i just throw the pics in photoshop and adjust some levels... basically just color correction...

pics turn out okay... with patience...

great pictures. :) what's that in the second picture? I have some of those but i don't know what they are...

ikuwaseven
great pictures. :) what's that in the second picture? I have some of those but i don't know what they are...

thanx. the second pic is of my dendrophyllia...

very very very kool pictures. u have a FTS? wat kind of tank is that? it looks really nice.

thanx. It's a 2004 JBJ Nanocube... the version with the two splash guards... aka heat trap oven.. the 04 cube is the one that inspired chris to start up nanocustoms...

i know i have an FTS somewhere on my harddrive... i'll find it eventually...

meanwhile...

ON TO MORE PICS!!!

hope you all have broadband...

green4.jpg

grnnonindo3.jpg

licorice4.jpg

lightgrnlrd2.jpg

mint2.jpg

newmicropink9.jpg

redgrey.jpg

redindo.jpg

rednonindo.jpg

straylord2.jpg

mshollenberger

Two requests, could you label the corals in each picture and provide a full tank shot.

Looks really nice.

Thanks

ikuwaseven
Two requests, could you label the corals in each picture and provide a full tank shot.

Looks really nice.

Thanks

thanx.

first set:

1. acan lordhowensis

2. dendrophyllia

3. zoanthid palythoa

4. acan lordhowensis

5. micromussa amakusensis

6. zoanthid palythoa

7. cocoworm

8. acan lordhowensis

9. tube anenome

10. im not totally sure bout this one.. it has two spirals like a cocoworm.. it looks like a yellow and brown cocoworm and is the same size but it has a soft tube like feather dusters do... and cocoworms are classified by the hard calcium tubes they make... so i would say its some kinda of feather duster....

second set:

1. acan lordhowensis

2. acan lordhowensis

3. acan lordhowensis

4. acan lordhowensis

5. acan lordhowensis

6. micromussa amakusensis

7. acan lordhowensis

8. acan lordhowensis

9. acan lordhowensis

10. acan lordhowensis

if you want the names of each coral i could tell you what they were named if they had a name when they were sold to me... but people just name corals as a way to make them seem more unique and "eventually" to make more money when selling them... also to get credit for the find... so many times there are different names of the same coral... i do agree tho that names are better than saying acan lord one, acan lord two, acan lord three....

as for my acan lords... i have a bunch more...

but if you can identify which ones are indo and which ones are "non-indo" now thats a question... ussually people who can identify indo or nonindo lords have been around acans for a long time...

hmm... second request for a FTS...

how bout this...

fts10room.jpg

:D:D:D it is a full tank shot....

i'll post a real fts when i find one... or when i get even more requests for an fts... ;)

-brad

more requests for the fts, but love the acams. Are you getting them locally, or through the internet?

ikuwaseven
What type of lighting are you using?

96watts of PC's. 4 24watt bulbs.

1 aquamedic blue bulb, 1 Relux actinic, 1 nanocustoms 50/50 10k/blue, and 1 nanocustoms 50/50 10k/actinic.

more requests for the fts, but love the acams. Are you getting them locally, or through the internet?

ive gotten every coral i own locally... but people i buy from get them from somewhere else of course.... i only order drygoods and equipment online... id rather not pay the 30 dollar to 50 dollar overnight shipping fee... its good to live in california...

so um... you like acans huh...

here ya go!! man its gonna take hella long to load this one page... im glad i dont have 56k... if you guys have 56k... sorry... and sux to be you... :P

bullblaster3.jpg

greenorang7.jpg

grey2.jpg

lightgrey2.jpg

purple2.jpg

purplestripe.jpg

red2.jpg

reddarkcenter.jpg

redgreenring2.jpg

and... FTS... kinda... hehe :P

fts3.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, are you getting decent deals on your acans, b/c everywhere I look at down here, they ae around $100 for a four headed piece. I love the coral, but it's difficult to fill a tank with coral that expensive. Again though, they look great.

ikuwaseven
Brad

Thanks. Great tank, nice corals, nice camera.

than you thank you thank you.

Amazing pics!!!!

thanx!!!!

If you don't mind me asking, are you getting decent deals on your acans, b/c everywhere I look at down here, they ae around $100 for a four headed piece. I love the coral, but it's difficult to fill a tank with coral that expensive. Again though, they look great.

yes im getting decent deals on acans. fortunately ive found the right people. and theyre all at least a 5-15 min drive away from me. um i dont buy corals from LFS... i havent done that in a long time... i guess all i can say is find the right people...

100 dollars for 4 heads sound like the general price out there for indo acans... but i wouldnt pay that much... unless it was nonindo.. then thats a steal... those go for round at least 100 and up per polyp...

im sure there are plenty of people round your area that have acans and can get more acans... specialy since a lot of the corals imported are sent to the wholesaler right by LAX... but nonindo acans.. thats another game...

um i was gonna post another set of pics but theres already like 2mb worth of pictures up on this page... thats a lot of downloadin all at once... so i guess i'll just wait till this thread goes to page two... if it goes to page two.... if not... thats way more than enough pictures already posted... right??? :D

how bout i just post one pic... if you are wondering how im keeping a tube anenome in a 12dx nanocube along with a substantial investement of other expensive corals... this is how:

fts9side.jpg

i used the plastic tube left over from a tube of epoxy, stuck it in the sand, and placed the anenome in there... the reason i put it in a long tube is cause i found out that tube anenomes like to stretch at night... and can reach pretty far...

yeah cause tube anenomes are known as "fish killers" but theyre really not... its just that their tentacles wound anything they touch... so potentially they can kill... i remember i accidentally pulled off a piece of one of its tentacles one time... it floated around while i tried to catch it.. but it eventually fell on one of my acan echinatas... the next day where it touched there was a hole thru the flesh of the echinata...

so yeah tube anenomes are ussually kept in species tanks or big tanks... but im sucessfully keeping it in my small tank... so far.... if it becomes a problem... its gone. i knew it was a risk when i bought it.. but you dont see that many hot pink ones with neon green centers all the time... i had to buy it.

oh and just in case youre wondering... tube anenomes arent photosynthetic.. so u have to feed them.. just like dendros...

-brad

looks good, more pictures are fine by me, I'd love to see a front and left side pic too. As far as finding people who can get acans cheap down here, I think that the whole 'I know a guy who knows a wholesaler' is all a bunch of urban legend, or maybe somebody actually does know a guy that would like to help a guy trying to stock his tank fingerscrossed. But again, looks great. How long have you had this tank running again, was it 2 years?, keep it up.

Great tank!

As for finding deals on Acans and the like, there's no better place to find deals than here in SoCal! Just look in the Classifieds or go to one of the frag swaps!!

ikuwaseven
looks good, more pictures are fine by me, I'd love to see a front and left side pic too. As far as finding people who can get acans cheap down here, I think that the whole 'I know a guy who knows a wholesaler' is all a bunch of urban legend, or maybe somebody actually does know a guy that would like to help a guy trying to stock his tank fingerscrossed. But again, looks great. How long have you had this tank running again, was it 2 years?, keep it up.

people who know the wholesalers are people who actually sell... the ones who run an online business selling coral are youre best bet.. find one whose local to you...

you could also check out the livestock selling section of reefcentral... some one may have a big collection down there and at the right moment be fragging their colonies... then when you meet them be sure to ask them if they know of anyone else whos in the market for fragging...

my tanks "officially" been up since feb 05... so its been bout 1year and 4months...

Great tank!

As for finding deals on Acans and the like, there's no better place to find deals than here in SoCal! Just look in the Classifieds or go to one of the frag swaps!!

thanx.

and its true... socal is a really good place for corals... there are tons of reefers in socal... and you could join a local reef club... or even just read from the local reef club's fourm on reefcentral...

be thankful youre in california... cause i hear that all the east coast guys always buy from westcoast cause the people here in cali cherry pick their corals...

in the east coast there arent many choice corals that get there compared to the westcoast....

Ars Reefia

I was curious how you set up your return flow? How di you connect the locline to the original return bulkhead and how did you install your hydor flo?

ikuwaseven
I was curious how you set up your return flow? How di you connect the locline to the original return bulkhead and how did you install your hydor flo?

for the locline i just pulled off the duckbill off from the original return.. then put on the Y locline onto the ball socket of the original slip fitting...

as for the hydor.. i drilled a hole in the false wall and installed a 1/2" slip bulkhead.. and fortunately one of the adapters for the hydor fit snuggly inside of the bulkhead... so essentially the hydor seems to be flesh with the false wall... theres only a quarter inch between the hydor and the false wall...

page2 = more pics!

bumblebeeshrimp4.jpg

bumblebee shrimp

darkredmicro2.jpg

micromussa amakusensis

greylord2.jpg

acanthastrea lordhowensis

orangechina.jpg

acanthastrea subechinata

pompom7.jpg

pompom crab/boxer crab

ppe.jpg

zoanthid palythoa

redpurplelrd3.jpg

acanthastrea lordhowensis

ric1.jpg

ricordea mushroom

sweettooth2.jpg

micromussa amakusensis

whitefeather.jpg

feather duster

thanx for looking.

-brad

what do you call this

dendro8.jpg

i have something like that on my rock and it have a little green tip. it is the size of a apple seed

DementedLullaby

God the name of this topic is sooooo true LOL. I don't know how much money I've thrown at this hobby. Thankfully none of it seems to be a waste yet..

I love your pictures. The colours are so beautiful and vivid.

To the above poster...I believe that thingy is :

dendrophyllia

ugh. I'm so jealous. :P

then my work here is done. :D

God the name of this topic is sooooo true LOL. I don't know how much money I've thrown at this hobby. Thankfully none of it seems to be a waste yet..

I love your pictures. The colours are so beautiful and vivid.

To the above poster...I believe that thingy is :

dendrophyllia

yeah the name of this thread is pure truth.... there are days where i buy corals instead of food and end up eating ramen noodels... its worth it tho... reefing is an addiction... it needs to be fed more than i do... hahaha

actually i think when i first posted this thread and made the title it was one of those days when i just bought corals... a ramen noodle day.

thanx for the complements on the pics... they come out pretty decent.

what do you call this

i have something like that on my rock and it have a little green tip. it is the size of a apple seed

yeah like DementedLullaby said its a dendrophyllia... hmm... maybe i should post up more pics of it since youre the second one to ask about that dendro pic..

heres one of the dendro full after eating mysis and cyclopeeze

dendro2.jpg

heres a close up under actinics

dendro10.jpg

heres a pic taken from a canon rebel xt when my friend came by one time to show off his camera... i'll buy one of those one day.. when my money stops going into my tank... i dont really see that coming up any time soon tho...

but you can totally see the difference in a camera that has custom white balance... and mine which has none... even with photoshop color correction my pics still turn out sort of blue...

dendro13.jpg

Archived