Top Shelf Aquatics

5.5 Gallon Bedside Pico

The Keeper

The Keeper

Updated Pics on Page2

I transferred the rocks and corals from my 1.6 Bedside Pico ( Click Here to see 1.6 Gallon) to this 5.5 Gallon AGA. The 1.6 was too small, and was stifling my aquascaping creativity. In the end I dumped the rock into the tank and I barely moved anything around. But at least its more space for livestock and I can finally get my first small fish (coming soon – Panda Goby or Green Clown Goby)

I didn't want to buy any new parts, so its got mostly ghetto left overs on it (Canister Filter, AC Powerfilters, etc..) . I also made a fairly cheesy DIY light canopy out of home depot rain gutter.

I built the whole thing for less than $100 bux with mostly used parts, or parts that where lying around...

Drygoods Setup

- 5.5 Gallon AGA (Back painted Black)

- 2x24 Watt Power Compact Retrofit in Rain Gutter Hood

- 1x1/2 Watt LED Moonlight

- AC20 Powerfilter (Purigen and Carbon)

- AC20 Powerfilter (Filter Floss)

- AC500 Refugium (Cheato, 25Watt Heater, Micro Compact 10w, Surf Skimmer )

- Fluval 304 (Filled with pieces of live rock chunks, Loc Line Output into tank)

The AC500 has a cut impeller with about 100 gph of flow, each AC20 has 100gph, and the fluval is at half flow which is about 130 gph. 430 Gallons / 5.5 = 78x turnover

Livestock

- 1.5" Sandbed

- Maybe 10lbs of Live Rock

- Xenia

- Green Star Polyps

- Kenya Tree Coral

- Zoanthids

- Candy Cane

- Brain

- Red Blastomussa

- Toadstool Leather

- Ricordia

- Mushrooms (red, skunk, and bullseyes)

- Hawaiin Feather Duster

- Cleaner Shrimp

- Decorator Crab with part of my kenya frag on his head

- Small Sea Urchin

- Nass Snail

- Turbo Snail

- 2 Blue Leg Hermits

- 1 Electric Blue Hermit

- 1 Scarlet Hermit

- 1 Whelk (snail eating bastard!)

- 1 Fighting Conch

- 3-4 Stomatellas

- 1 Brittleworm lolol

Future Planned Additions

- 70 watt HQI Retro

- Custom Canopy & Base

- Small Goby of some sort

- Small Star of some sort

- Maybe Harlequin Shrimp to eat small star lol

- 2-3 Sexy Shrimp

- More Zoanthids

- More Mushrooms

- 1 Monti Cap

- 1 Birdsnest

Here are some pics, the toadstool leather, gsp, and a few other corals are all closed up due too a water change and moving some ###### around. I'll try to get better pics of the tank in full glory tomorrow when everything is open.

Open to Comments, Suggestions, Compliments, Critisism, etc...

post-18302-1147724502_thumb.jpgpost-18302-1147724532_thumb.jpgpost-18302-1147724543_thumb.jpgpost-18302-1147724552_thumb.jpgpost-18302-1147724900_thumb.jpgpost-15248-1128890648_thumb.jpgpost-18302-1147724920_thumb.jpgpost-18302-1147724931_thumb.jpg[attachmen

=10666:attachment]post-18302-1147724947_thumb.jpgpost-18302-1147724954_thumb.jpg[att

chment=10669:attachment]post-18302-1147724972_thumb.jpg

post-18302-1147724908_thumb.jpg

post-18302-1147724939_thumb.jpg

post-18302-1147724961_thumb.jpg

The Keeper
Very nice. That shopping list is really going to fill that baby up. You might need a bigger tank soon. I will be watching for the 10gal bedside any time now

Haha...That may be very true. I'm going to try to limit myself to 5.5 though. I dont think a 10 gallon will fit on my nightstand. I think im going to try to make the baddest 5.5 I can, with a really nice stand and hood, and a 70watt halide. I might also try to make a remote sump/fuge for it that I can hide behind or under my bed. I want more water volume..

CapHillReef

With all that flow...and being next to my bed, I think I'd have to wake up to use the bathroom 3 times a night!

The Keeper
With all that flow...and being next to my bed, I think I'd have to wake up to use the bathroom 3 times a night!

You have no idea.

At night the canister filter turns off to reduce flow a little and quiet the room, but when it turns on my g/f always hears it and thinks the tank is leaking and always jumps up screaming just to discover its the surface agitation of the tank causing the noise.

sweet tank, especially for a noob. you must be a natural like me, lol (i'll prove it when i get a decent camera! haha). i really like the light idea, and i think it looks better than 99% of diy lighting out there.

The Keeper
sweet tank, especially for a noob. you must be a natural like me, lol (i'll prove it when i get a decent camera! haha). i really like the light idea, and i think it looks better than 99% of diy lighting out there.

I've always been good at keeping plants/animals. Poison Dart planted Terrariums, frog tanks, desert tanks for lizards, etc.. So this one is just filled with water. I really like saltwater, even though I've only been at it since January.

My biggest problem has been patience. I know everything takes time, but im dying to have a more mature tank. I can't wait til I move out of the place im renting now, so that i can buy a place and setup a BIG tank. I just need to have a secure location...

The Keeper

Thanks Texan. I liked it too, but I wanted more than shrooms, rics, and zoos. So I had to upgrade cus the size was just too small....

Clifford - i made a diy canopy made out of wood to replace the rain gutter one. I'm going to throw a 70 watt metal halide in it, and get rid of one of the 50/50 bulbs and throw a actinic in there.

I can't wait to see what it looks like...

The Keeper
Yay 70's for the 5.5's :) (mine is coming too).

I can't wait to see what this tank will look like with a 70w MH. Although im totally out of space in this tank. No more frags can go in here. I only have a green clown goby in there now, i could probably add another little fish in there. And a few more inverts.

I might make a custom 8 gallon starfire cube to move this to. HAHA.. Maybe I should just chill for a while, I dont want to waste time or money upgrading when I can be just planning for something bigger or better in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Redid some aquascaping, removed some old filter media that must have been hurting the tank cus the day after everything looked nicer than usual

Updated FTS:

post-18302-1150152869_thumb.jpg

Looks nice! Really like the new look. Is your 1.6G still up and running? If so FTS please.

Thanks in advance

texan

The one rock that was in the 1.6 is the biggest rock on the left hand side of the 5.5g. I transferred it when the 5.5 first came together.

Also I forgot to mention I added 2 small fish: a baby false perc, and a baby watchman goby. I will probably move the false perc to my 47 gallon when he gets a tad larger, and he'll be replaced with a pair of sexy shrimp and perhaps a green clown goby.

He swears its an anemone! Protects it, lets food fall to it...

Here are 2 more pics from today, since I seem to only take pics of it when things are unhappy after water changes.

DSC04163.jpg

DSC04162.jpg

Archived