Innovative Marine Aquariums

waterproofing wood

darkwaterdevil

Use polyurathane(spelling) If you get the glossy clear stuff from home depot it looks awsome dry. It is also availible in a spray can for a little more and that makes it a lot easier to apply.

darkwaterdevil

ok i think you spelt it right also the whole reason im asking about the fiberglass resin is because i work at autozone and get a good discount

supersecretshinto

Oil based paint or polyurathane is good enough. Never had a problem with it. Epoxy marine paint? Fiberglass resin? You guys must get huge ammounts of water splashed into the hood to justify the cost difference!

TheNorthernLight

the EASIEST, and most reliable, is a product called:

Marine Spar Varathane, comes in paint, and spray paint format.

nearly invisible. and you can get it at HD cheap.

It's what I used for my lighthood, and water beads right off of it.

It's used on marine docks. VERY resiliant to weathering and lights.

Cheers.

funkyfish77

fiber glass resin is not totally water proof i know it is safe for freshwater fish

i built a 150 gal plywood tank and i tryed fiberglass resin to coat the inside

and after a few days i noticed the side and back were damp but on a hood

it would work over kill but work

good luck

bobbi_dooley

the problem that I have found with fiberglass resin, i assume you are speaking of bondo brand - as this is the most common, it is UV sensitive, and unless you coat it, exposure to metal halide lighting will cause it to eventually flake off as it deteriorates.

example:

i built two hoods at the same time, one for me - one for a friend, he elected to paint the inside of his hood white after we appied the bondo resin. i did not paint mine - i have noticed that mine is peeling off. we have the same lights.

the resin is safe after several days of curing - it out gasses many VOC's, namely mekp.

the resin - again bondo brand, often will have a oily feel after curing - an accumulation of OC's on the surface. this is not usually the case with slow curing epoxies(8hr+) , such as those made by west systems. the higer end products normally have an encapsulated cure that rely less on outgassing for a proper molecualr alignment.

i'll stop rambling. i would advise against using thre resin. and since you work at autozone, buy the motorcycle wheel clearcoat, it will work well has good UV holdout and cures non-toxic. You will also find that the product withstands harsh chemicals well such as a & b solutions.

bobbi

funkyfish77

think about it all fiber glass RESIN boats have 2 part epoxy paint on them the paint

water proofs it. like bobbi said fiber glass off gasses voc's basicly the solvent

witch leaves micro pores in the fiber glass RESIN. epoxy paint dry's by chemical

reation witch does not leave the pores.

hope that helps

bobbi_dooley
think about it all fiber glass boats have 2 part epoxy paint on them the paint

water proofs it. like bobbi said fiber glass off gasses voc's basicly the solvent

witch leaves micro pores in the fiber glass. epoxy paint dry's by chemical

reation witch does not leave the pores.

hope that helps

In reply to funkyfish 77- Many boats do NOT in fact have 2 part epoxy paint applied to them, they use colored fiberglass ( or decals) colored PE molds or PET, or resin with a resin clearcoat applied. Fiberglass plus resin is inherently waterproof.

Fiberglass by itself cannot off VOC's, it is just glass. The resin however can off gas VOC's as is often the case with quick cure resin. Not so often the case with slow cure.

Off gassiing will produce no decernable "micro pores" if applied at the proper thickness.

REMEMBER: Epoxy is just a thermosetting resin that bonds molecular structures.

Your epoxy paint statement is also false. Some epoxies off gas and cure. 99% of epoxies will off gas to some degree, the others which do not cost about $100+ per gallon. These are pure cross link substances. More expensive "epoxy" type materials that do not off gas and cure through pure polymerization are substances such as polyurea and PET + MER and polyaromatic hydrocarbons.

The pores statement is a misnomer. No pores should be left in either epoxy paint or resin - in such that they are appied at the proper thickness. Off gasing does not create prores perse. Any resin that leaks has not be applied at the proper rate - in such as the manufatures gal per sq. ' has not been met.

Bobbi

funkyfish77
In reply to funkyfish 77- Many boats do NOT in fact have 2 part epoxy paint applied to them, they use colored fiberglass ( or decals) colored PE molds or PET, or resin with a resin clearcoat applied. Fiberglass plus resin is inherently waterproof.

Fiberglass by itself cannot off VOC's, it is just glass. The resin however can off gas VOC's as is often the case with quick cure resin. Not so often the case with slow cure.

Off gassiing will produce no decernable "micro pores" if applied at the proper thickness.

REMEMBER: Epoxy is just a thermosetting resin that bonds molecular structures.

Your epoxy paint statement is also false. Some epoxies off gas and cure. 99% of epoxies will off gas to some degree, the others which do not cost about $100+ per gallon. These are pure cross link substances. More expensive "epoxy" type materials that do not off gas and cure through pure polymerization are substances such as polyurea and PET + MER and polyaromatic hydrocarbons.

The pores statement is a misnomer. No pores should be left in either epoxy paint or resin - in such that they are appied at the proper thickness. Off gasing does not create prores perse. Any resin that leaks has not be applied at the proper rate - in such as the manufatures gal per sq. ' has not been met.

Bobbi

how much fiber glass work have u done lately i use it almost every day in speaker boxes and car repair and i have fixed a few holes in boats.

it sounds like u mite want to talk to a tech at bondo brand corp. or other

company of ur choose

have a nice day

Archived