inTank Media Baskets

Bobalouy's new 20L

Bobalouy

After having pretty good success with my Nano Cube it is finally time to upgrade. I picked up aga 20 Long last week and started cutting on it tonight. I took a few quick pics while I was at it.

drilling.jpg

progress

drilling_2.jpg

Action shot

drilling_3.jpg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking good! i too picked up a 20L last week and will be drilling it once my diamond hole saws get here from LAU***. question though, any of you guys know if the bottom of the 20L is tempered? i kinda want to drill the bottom instead of the back but if the back is the only place to drill then i'll just deal with it.

can't wait to see more pix of your setup as it progresses. :happydance:

Thanks, Im not sure if the bottom is tempered or not, I want to say no. Aga's site doesnt say anthing about it.

What's your thinking with the configuration of drilled holes - 2 small returns and one large drain? What diameter pvc?

I just got a 20L and I haven't decided how to do mine yet. My current 15 tall has 2 half inch drains with small pvc overflows and a single half inch pvc pipe over the top as a return. It works fine, no gurgling but nobody else seems to go that small.

Well I had a really hard time deciding on the plumbing, I dont like big boxes, I didnt want anthing going over the top of the tank. So Im hoping this will work.

Its 2 x 1/2" returns and a 1" drain that will have an elbow that I can angle to get the right water level.

Obsessed Reefer

Looks good so far. Here comes another coral forest. Remember, I get first dibs at the extra corals from your 12 gallon NC DX that your gonna throw out/get rid of.

Cant wait for stocking.

Jesse

Nothing yet, still trying to find a nice used light. Aquamedic ocean light, sunpod, or tek t5. And I need to order my pump. Kind of busy this month. But I really need to get this thing finished, because my NC isnt gonna have any room for water soon.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this is a boring thead but hopfully it will pick up soon. This tank got put on hold for alittle while because of this:

wreck.jpg

But I got the car sorted out now and finally got a light. Aquamedic 150w 14k. Im still alittle unsure about the background color. But I think it might look pretty good.

light_2.jpg

light.jpg

That sux about the car :( Normally I don't like blue backgrounds however I think this looks good. When u set ur lighting up I think u will need to raise it up some more to provide a better spread of light.

Yeah I just set it up real quick in the basement to see how the color looked. I was never a big fan of blue untill I saw a few japanese tanks. They never let coraline grow on the walls like lazy americans lol. So thats my plan no algae on any walls.

The Propagator

SWEET LOUY !!!

BTW AGA dosent temper thier glass bottoms on anything under a 55g.

with the strength of the glass its self and the wieght distribution it would be a complete waist of money.

You are doing a KICK ARSE job on your tank man !!

;)

Thanks Propagator do you think the glass is strong enough to take the top trim off? Since this build is going so slow I was actually thinking about taking the whole tank apart, having the top edge finished, then re siliconing it with black, and leaving the tirm off. But Im alittle scared since its drilled.

• 2 months later...

Testing testing ... I got my pump, a Quiet One 3000. So I am finally able to test my plumbing. I was planning on putting an elbow on the drain that I could rotate to adjust the water level. And that worked great, but made a ridiculously gurgling. So I thought I could do it external durso style with a hole on the drain pipe, and the tank overflowed. I ended up removing the elbow in the tank, and I think I got it figured out.

plumb_test.jpg

plumb_test_2.jpg

plumb_test_3.jpg

plumb_test_4.jpg

The end is finally in sight for this damn project. My grandfather is finishing up the stand. And everything is about ready to go. I still need to decide on a skimmer, and how I am going to set up the sump/fuge. But that will have to wait till the stand is ready. Im hoping to have this thing running befor the end of january.

Oh yeah heres the stand design

stand_design.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived