Top Shelf Aquatics

6 gallon Tru Vu evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

I brought you the 72 gallon Oceanic bowfront evolution and it was a success and continues to evolve.

Now I bring you the 6 gallon Tru Vu and hope to make it just as successful as it's big brother.

Among mystery nanos this tank has been eluding many reefers on several boards; and I hope to bring the missing link back on the charts of nano evolution.

Enjoy what is yet to become a fantastic nano tank..

Mike G

w6qy9v.jpg

w6qyhf.jpg

w6qyl4.jpg

w6qys9.jpg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Thanks Shao-lin,

I couldn't resist and you all remember that my passion for nanos was seen in my two 12 gallon JBJ cubes...

I just had to come back...

MG

MG,

I'll be watching this thread with interest as the jury is still out on what tank I'm going with.Thats some nice lookin LR you have there.Where did you get it?

Randal

RayWhisperer

Looking forward to the updates.

How are the rear chambers set up? Are they as big as the JBJ? How many chambers are there?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

On goes the show...

Here are angle shots of the nano and the assembly of the light and skimmer... I also took a pic of the removable media...

MG

w8klfq.jpg

w8kls0.jpg

w8km4l.jpg

w8kmq8.jpg

w8kopv.jpg

w8kpig.jpg

w8kpye.jpg

w8ks5i.jpg

w8ksn8.jpg

w8ksyc.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I added my 50 watt heater, all black to match tank... I also placed in the coralife digital temp display... To power up this little toy, I went with the simple yet efficient Coralife digital power strip.

Then I added 10 lbs of live sand followed by 10 lbs of Bali Live Rock...

I toyed around with the pieces and finally got this, hope you guys and gals like it...

MG

w8qf80.jpg

w8qhds.jpg

w8qhox.jpg

w8qhvk.jpg

w8qi2s.jpg

w8qiat.jpg

Mike,

Looks like you are starting off once again with a great setup & aquarium. I read your thread on your bow-front and it turned out sweet, except of course your ich war. This is a bad @$$ aquarium, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mike,

Looks great. Any chance you can let us in on where you got the Bali LR?

Doug

Oh course Doug,

I got my Bali live rock at, Aquarium Concepts in Hayward Ca... I happened to arrive on Friday when Ken the owner ordered three boxes of the stuff...

He personally went over with me and opened the boxes and we both hand picked what you see....

Apparently this distributor cures the Live rock better than the others, it smelled almost cured I kid you not, and there were no sponges all over my rock which is a good sign of cured rock....

I'm actually going to take back one piece that didn't fit into my tank, the display area is rather small, 8inch by 12 inch of play room.

At $6.99 per pound this rock is expensive but way worth it especially for nano tanks...

Mike G

Mike,

Thanks for the info. Since you had it shown in a Styrofoam shipper I thought you had it shipped to you. Must be nice to have a reliable LFS. I'm in Dallas, most of the LR doesn't look that great at the local stores.

I was leaning toward Premium Aquatics, until I did a search for Bali rock and found Phishy Business. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Doug

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Attention all Reefers...

A small setback, I came home from dinner with my wife and went into my room and saw a small water puddle next to the tank.

I quickly scanned the entire top of the tank hoping that maybe it was the aircheck valve on the skimmer and it wasn't.

I moved the tank to the side and noticed more water seeping out , oh no.

So I grabbed a dry towel and cleaned up the tank on the bottom and waited a couple seconds and then found the drip on the very bottom right side, on the seam of the darn tank.

I was so ###ed off, but it could've been worse, it couldv'e drained all out and it was a super small leak.

This makes my luck with acrylic super bad, about 1 year ago I purchased the 6 gallon CPR nano and had the same disaster only this tank flushed out my water immediately as I filled it to the rim.

So I took out the live rock and live sand and cleaned the tank and repacked it to get a replacement from my LFS.

I never do a water test prior to beginning a reef and this happens to me again, I will make sure to do one as I get the new tank.

Hang in there reefers, I haven't begun to fight, at least not yet...

MG

Sorry about the crack... I've never done water checks either. Every time I fill a tank, I feel like I'm playing "press your luck".

Big money big money, no whammies!

If its any consolation, I used that same "live" sand that you've got there. Same brand and everything. My cycle was almost non-existant. Less than a week and ammonia, NO2 & NO3 were all at zero. It's pretty good stuff.

You should be happy with it when you get your new tank set up.

Best of luck to you.

Insalubrious
I got my Bali live rock at, Aquarium Concepts in Hayward Ca... I happened to arrive on Friday when Ken the owner ordered three boxes of the stuff...

I just stumbled into this thread and am blown away the quality of your live rock! I live in San Francisco, and the rock selection here (some of which I purchased :() looks really, really subpar compared to what you got. I called Aquarium Concepts and the owner was extremely helpful and checked through his rock so I wouldn't show up and waste a trip on Bart to come home empty handed. Thanks for the heads up!

:):):)

Nice tank by the way, good luck with it!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Let's try this again,

I got a replacement tank; what are the odds this one can leak? Well, I wasn't going to take a chance, I ran a water test first...

After the tank cleared the water test, I carefully added the live sand and live rock back into the tank...

I adjusted the skimmer and fitted the heater right to the side...

To clear out a lot of floating debris I added my HOT magnum filter. The water is getting polished pretty well as it's only 6 gallons being turned over...

I even got a picture of the skimmer in action...

Here are the pics...

MG

wcbq05.jpg

wcbr00.jpg

wcbspw.jpg

wcbu6f.jpg

wcbw1u.jpg

wcbwo2.jpg

wcbx95.jpg

wcbyvq.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

I got the coralife 1 watt moonlight today and custom installed it on the side of my metal halide...

I also took a picture of the tank with the lights on for you reefers in a hurry to see it on...

The water is still very cloudy as it won't become crystal clear until the cycle is complete...

MG

wgosux.jpg

wgot1s.jpg

wgouf9.jpg

wgouo0.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here are two pics with the moon light at night... Tank still needs to cycle, so water is not crystal clear...

MG

wgqlo8.jpg

wgqlpy.jpg

Hey Mike, that is a great lookin' nano tank!!! I remember posting about this TruVu tank many months ago, but got very little response . . . so I ended up getting a 12 G NC instead.

I cannot wait to see how it turns out!!!

Archived