Pod Your Reef

LED as an alternative lighting supplement?

MVS

I may have previously posted this in the wrong section; this should be a more appropriate place for this question:

I have a colony of Green Ricordea Yuma mushrooms that require a moderate lighting source. I’m running the stock 18w light but the situation is the only place for this coral is in an area where it could get a little more lighting; they’re starting to extend fully up towards the light source. The coral is placed towards the front left hand corner of the tank, directly under the lid of the tank where the lighting is not at its best. I was thinking of getting a white LED version of the following light and placing them under the feeding lap directly over the coral.

Any thoughts of how this lighting will work as an added light source?

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-LED-MOONLIGHT-Doube...4QQcmdZViewItem

Any thoughts of how this lighting will work as an added light source?

These LEDs put out roughly the spectrum as moonlight at a couple of meters depth (about 450-470nm) - It's not the right light for coral feeding, it's more to provide a slightly more natural diurnal cycle. If you want more light for daytime, it needs to be both more intense and closer to daylight spectrum. Moonlights are beneficial, but not as a feeding source.

I’ve seen your thread and I was hoping to catch your attention.

Thanks for the response.

So it should work fine for my intended purpose?

The link I posted was for a 3 – white LED light, 30k mcd. They have an 8 light version as well. I’m just not sure if that would be overkill in this situation? After all, the coral is only 5” from the surface where I would be placing the LED array.

neanderthalman

I'd go with the eight light version. I use four LEDs as moonlights. I don't imagine three of them would be very good for day lighting. Just to be clear, this is not your main lighting, but supplemental lighting? You're just trying to "spotlight" a coral, not light the whole tank.

I was contemplating which one to go with and I eventually came across the following website that has what appears to be the same light but it’s listed as 60k mcd. I figured being that it’s not my main lighting and the coral is not listed as a being high light coral, three would be fine. I guess I’ll see how they look, worse comes to worse, I’ll have to get another one.

http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

Any further ideas or suggestions of course are welcomed.

Archived