Coral Vue Hydros

Supernip's official nr.com nanoreef

supernip

I've been a member here for a long time but I haven't truly had a nano-reef in a long time. Not the way I remembered nanos being anyway, so I had this made. I've seen almost everything I could in t his hobby so I feel comfortble just keeping what I like now. It took me a long time to realized that this hobby was just that, a hobby. And a tank is just a tank so I wanted something easy, and filled with only stuff someone as fickle as myself truly loves (xenia) So.. this is my official nano-reef.com (I love this place.) nanoreef tank.

This tank was originally going to be a goby tank but the goby died so scratch that idea. (that's right jmt, timer <0sec) I'll get into livestock details later. As for now, let's just get on with the hardware stuff.

the tank itself has physical outside dimensions of 16in x 12in x 12in. My hood and base are still being made so I haven't done much to the tank yet. The tank maker is a real artist rivaling, if not surpassing socal imo, and people like that lag like the dickens. Anyway, the viewable area after the stand and canopy is 16x10. Think golden ration (1.618:1), but over by about o.11in due to not wanting to be a dick about specific sizes.

Front to back on the display area (a dimension I feel is extremely important but almost always overlooked by most hobbyist.) is 8.25 inches. It was supposed to be 8in for a nice 2:1 ratio but the 0.25 inch was there to maximize water volume (you'll see what I mean in an update later on.)

so here's my stocklist so far:

tank: 16x12x12 0.25in acrylic

black back, black sides, only front panel viewable

display vol~ 6.25gal realistically

sump vol~ 2.26gal

Flow: 2xmaxijet 1200

split 4 ways via 0.5in loc-line

Heating: 50watt tronic

but might swap out for a hydor or jager heater

Chilling (when applicable): iceprobe chiller w/ controller

lighting: 2x32watt current pc retrofit

PC= nostalgia

Here are some pics because no one cares about plain text

front view:

front1.jpg

back view:

backview.jpg

some things have been changed around; so this picture is now sorta void but you get the idea.

top view:

front1.jpg

Please note the overflow lid. Helps keep water from splashing and keeps the tank a little more quiet.

Additional notes:

I plan on running carbon and perhaps a phosphate media. I'm still debating the latter. I also plan on having a 1inch sand bed. Please don't ask me to do a BB or suggest halides. I have my reasons for setting this tank up the way it will be.

There's a bit of humming from the two mj that I'm trying to work out. It's just vibrations from being confined in a small space. I'm still tinkering with the design and have them on foam as of right now. However, I'm very anal retentive and any noise is gonna bother the heck out of me. Suggestions will be appreciated.

That's all for now. I apologize for the ugly pictures. It's late and I got bored. Plus I'm really tired. I'll redo stuff later on. I hate lengthy posts and also apologize for your having to read my rambling. that's all for now. kthanksbye

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
distantfire

Nice tank supernip. I even like the little sump you got with it. I don't know how much flow you want in the tank. But because your MJ's are vibrating. Have you tried using only one MJ and spliting the output between both bulkheads.

Nice Nip...

Almost same veiwable dimensions on my Finnex...finnex just a little longer.

Cant wait to see the progress.

Izzue

I've been a member here for a long time but I haven't truly had a nano-reef in a long time.
*gasp* ban him.

crustacean tank. and let the mightiest crustacean win.

i've been thinking about a mantis tank lately.

Reefer Addict
*gasp* ban him.

It would be a waste of time and energy. He would just mask his IP and come back as 'superasian'.... B)

Yo nip-that is a mighty sharp looking tank. I can't wait to see it up and running...

1.aw not fuge o well I like it

2.WOW the flow thats alot mabye like they said cut it down I rather u 3.keep the 2 power head thing the

4.I only run phosgaurd if I have a problem not a reg. base

5.Whats the LS

6. The black sides will make you be able to make it look cleaner BTW

7. RUN CARBON works great in mine

8. Above the pumps fill that space with a few bio-balls to get a little more bio filtration

9. Cut the spong to 1 solid bar (that litle square out the top buggs me) then set a carbon bag on eggcrate and rest sponge on top

10. love it

thanks for the comments, I guess I'll address some questions before I have to hit the books

1. the tank was made by gen of krittertanks.com

2. why the black sides? well thats a complicated answer. firstly since it's a nano, I needed to reserve as much usable room as possible, for growth and swimming. If i had clear sides, I'd be compelled to stack my rock in the middle so I can clean the sides. But I never look through them anyway. I think the black sides will give me a nice microcasm look. The xenia will grow on the sides and I'll have a much more pituresque look as oppose to having clear sides. Think about all the dioramas you made with shoeboxes as kids. The black sides will give me a much more self contained universe look. Plus it's going to help block sunlight (real good for micro algae growth).

Though I suppose seeing xenia growing on the sides is kinda funky.

3. the vibration is just from the maxijets being confined in an area of 3x4. that's cutting it very close and it's going to vibrate regardless. I've gotten it down to a minimum but I think there are a few more things I can do.

4. As far as stocking goes, I really want this tank to be soft corals only. All, if not mostly xeniids. Perhaps a few Corallimorpharians for color. However, if I ever get any sps, it's going to be only Montipora species though i doubt that.

I've thought about the crustacean tank as well and mantis shrimps. I've kept them in the past but the ocellaris grows too big. The smaller species are a little shy. Perhaps I will do shrimps only. I love some of the lesser known cleaners and pistol shrimps... Or I might go with a small angler, leaffish or simply a pair of clowns and a rose bta. I haven't made up my mind but I know there will definitely be all xenia species except X. elonga.

5. Flow: nah, it's two maxijets, with each split into two outlets via a y adaptor and 2 locline modules each. The flow is very soft and almost seems inadequate. I have to look at the overflow to realize how much water I'm pushing through it. I think I have about 400-500gph max, and that's probably an exaggeration.

6. Probably no phosphate remover. Those are predominately ion exchangers which will re-release the phosphates all at once if not watched correctly. Just carbon for now, and maybe some seachem stuff. There's no sps and since it's very economical to do a 2gal water change at a time, there's no real worry of build up. That's the one of the best things about nanos imo. It's easier to goof, but its easier to fix.

7. The top sponge was left over. I'm probably going to scrap it or do something else with it.

8. No bio balls, it's a good idea but space is limited. If it helps dampen noise, I might entertain the option.

9. substrate is going to be 0 grade sand, more specifically Estes' beige. I think it''s just southdown but there's enough color to it to keep it from being too reflective. It's still bright enough to keep the tank looking white and lit. I will have a 0.75-1.0 in sandbed, which is what the base covers. I don't enjoy looking at the side section of a sand bed, but I enjoy the top view.

10. I think I'll go skimmerless for now. I might add a cut-down lee's countercurrent later on, so I can cut maxijet's at night and still have flow.

Lastly, I've always thought an empty tank was so much more beautiful than a set up one. The technical equipment and all the potential it embodies is very more thrilling imo. I might just run it blank for a while. Thanks for all your comments, I'll post new pics later. and ESPI, if you're reading this, drop by and say hi old friend.

distantfire

Just a thought...Maybe try puting the MJ on a piece of eggcrate to help absorb the vibration. A couple plastic zip ties could be used to raise and lower the eggcrate if the work space is to narrow.

clifford513

Yeah, I miss Dave too. I loved reading his posts, though I did feel sorry for some folks at times ;) . A wealth of knowledge! Nice tank :) Can't wait to see what it becomes.

Good job man, it's nice to reach the point where you've seen/tried damn near everything and can finally settle on what you like and know works. Tank looks great, the potential it has is rediculous. Good luck with it.

Nips about the bio-balls I meant just like 4 on eachside where the MJ are fit them in aouve in that little water colum. I like the other ideas to shut-up the MJs.I cant wait till you stock this is will look nice

Supernip,

I have a similar disign for the back of my tank, I cut the suction cup brakets down drilled a new hole and use two suction cups per MJ. It really cut down on the viration. Check my thread in my sig for pics.

Nice tank.

Bikelock

Archived