Top Shelf Aquatics

I'm so happy!

halfpint

About 3 months ago, my Hairy Mushroom started turning white on one edge and getting smaller. I noticed it wasn't getting any better, even after putting it in shade. I decided to transfer it to my 11G via aqua tank that I had just set up not too long ago. The 'shroom shriveled up and dissappeared completely about a month ago.

Today I was performing my regular weekly tank wipe and noticed a ghost-white blob on the beckside of a rock. I turned the rock around and BAM!!! It was my hairy mushroom! He's about the size of a nickel and is white as paper. He was leaning towards light, so I figured he wanted some light. I turned the rock so he's in full sun.

I'm so happy that he's back! I thought he was a gonner. I can't wait to see how his recovery goes. Any tips on these guys? I obviously did something wrong the first try. Was the 48W in my 12G NC too much for him?

Healthy. About 6 months ago:

hairyshroom.jpg

Now:

HM.jpg

at first glance, I thought it might be an anemone, but after turning the rock so I could see him better, I almost started jumping up and down! (not really.)

Just thought I'd share my glee with you guys.

I have a bunch of hairy shrooms in mine in my 10g with 96W of PC and they grow fast. When I bought them, one was bleached but I nursed it back to good health and it is doing great. They were under about 40W of PC in about a 350g tank at the LFS. None of mine have bleached, never had a problem with them. Try feeding it cyclopeeze as well, it might help with its recovery. Mine love it.

Thanks, guys. I feed mine crushed mysis (however you spell it) twice a week. My GSP and Striped Green Mushrooms love it and are taking off in both tanks.

Intereasting how the color seems to vary in location

yours seem to be green pigmented in the little tentacles, my largest Hairy shroom looks the same, except his disc is a nice brigh green 50% from the center and out, the tentacles however are just tank colored B)

• 2 weeks later...

I moved him back to my 12G NC and he's doing great. He's already got the color back in it's "bumps." I'll have to post some pictures of it soon.

I have a colony of about 5 or 6 and they all did the same thing. They had no color when I got them so the guy at petco sold them for the price of live rock. They were also shriveled up and at the time I was not sure what they were. They started getting there color about a month later and looked great for about 5 months. Than I came home one day to find them turning white. Eventually they were completely white so I moved them all over the tank trying to find a good spot. They eventually moved back to where they were when I first got them. Now for no reason they are full color again and look healthy. Maybe it is a phase they go through regularly.

That's really weird. I wonder if other people have had the same experiences.

Sonce when does Petco sell LR? I wish mine did.

They get some FIJI LR in on ocassion. I was there looking for a fish and noticed a small piece of rock with what looked like mushrooms so I asked and the guy and he sold it for $10. The rock was a little over 2 pounds so it turned out to be a good investment not to mention some the nice coraline that was on the rock. the prices are 10 for small 15 for medium and 20 for large.

By the way how is your cassette skimmer working. I have a fission skimmer that is horrible and I need both a surface skimmer and a skimmer like your design.My water surface looks real bad(green on top).

The casette skimmer works great. You just have to keep an eye out for dumb snails that will wonder into it and get stuck or if too many get on it at once and it will fall.

The worst part is, you can't watch the water level without opening the hood because the tank level doesn't change, only the sump.

What you can do yo solve that is to cut a slit about 1/4" wide out of the black covering over the sump on the side of the tank. I did and now I can take a quick glance at my water level without having to open the top.

415aee3f.jpg

You can see the slit on the black vynal.

I have a rock with a ton of shrooms on it. Most are doing really well, have grown huge, I've had a couple new ones pop up, etc. The weird thing is, despite how extremely well the rest seem to be doing, 2 have done exactly what you described. They turned white, are slightly smaller, but have not died. One is in the middle of a patch that is otherwise doing really well. Those two have been like that for months now and show no signs of either dying or getting their color back, they are just white. I've just decided they are albino and I'll let them do their thing ;)

I think I have some pics and when I get out of work I will post them. I have before and after pics.Sounds like a lot of people have seen similar situations.

Thanks for the pictures, James. It's weird how they all seem to be doing this. I guess I don't have to worry the next time it happens.

Archived