Pod Your Reef

Woah, tampa bay saltwater critters!

jane of baden

jane of baden

good old tampa bay saltwater (no sarcasm!) sent me the BEST live rock ever... sorry I got to plug them, theyre SO good! They send the BEST stuff! But I dont know what some of the stuff is. Please help!

Clam, oh some sort? It'd definitely alive, it opens and closes ( I know because I was curious and I poked it... :P)

post-15575-1142141819_thumb.jpg

How should I care for it?

There is also some little anemone-type thing... what is it?

post-15575-1142142228_thumb.jpg

Anything I need to know about it?

There is plenty more, but I have work at 6 Am tomorrow! Good night and thank you!!

good old tampa bay saltwater (no sarcasm!) sent me the BEST live rock ever... sorry I got to plug them, theyre SO good! They send the BEST stuff! But I dont know what some of the stuff is. Please help!

Clam, oh some sort? It'd definitely alive, it opens and closes ( I know because I was curious and I poked it... :P)

post-15575-1142141819_thumb.jpg

How should I care for it?

It is a fileterfeeding clam that prefers the darker sides of the rock

There is also some little anemone-type thing... what is it?

post-15575-1142142228_thumb.jpg

Anything I need to know about it?

There is plenty more, but I have work at 6 Am tomorrow! Good night and thank you!!

I cant tell for sure with it closed like that but I think it is majano anemone.

try a search on N-R for majano theres lots of photos & info on them HTH

RayWhisperer

Pic one looks like a non photosynthetic clam of some sort.

Pic 2 looks like a rock anemone to me, though I've never seen that type of coloration. It could be some type of coral as well, if you touch it, does it have a hard skeletal base?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

shot # 1 looks similar to a jewel box clam i recently purchased.

IMG_5924.jpg

i also found this while looking for the correct name

Jewel box clam 10/16/03

Hello, I just recently got some live rock from Tampa bay saltwater, When I was observing the rock in a quarantine tank I noticed what looks like siphons coming out of a few rocks, they told me these were Jewel box clams?

<very common... actually fairly hardy for being non-photosynthetic>

I have not been able to find out much about these as far as care and requirements.

<they are obligate filter-feeders. You will want/need to have a fishless refugium plumbed inline to the display and/or have a deep sand bed for producing plankton and nutrients to sustain them. Most bottled supplements will not adequately feed them. You might try DTs phytoplankton though>

I have placed the rock in my refugium and all appears to be

fine. Do you know anything about these or where I can find more info. As always thanks.

<we do have a solid chapter on care for bivalves in our new book Reef Invertebrates (Calfo and Fenner). I would also suggest you explore the message boards for fellow enthusiasts of filter-feeders. Many such folks there. Best regards, Anthony>

you lucked out. i paid $15 for mine. :)

I'm the same guy as reefer9391

pic 2 is rock anome we have like 6 at work they need almost if any at on for light. And the clam I'm not quit sure puck it let it work itself out or try caring for it

jane of baden
Pic one looks like a non photosynthetic clam of some sort.

Pic 2 looks like a rock anemone to me, though I've never seen that type of coloration. It could be some type of coral as well, if you touch it, does it have a hard skeletal base?

Nope, it's 100% squish.

It's generally light pink, with yellow-green ..tentacles? around the center... "mouth??" that is now open. A few hours ago it hopped on top of a snail and went for a spin. I'm guessing it's an anemone. No idea what to do with it now :lol:

shot # 1 looks similar to a jewel box clam i recently purchased.

IMG_5924.jpg

i also found this while looking for the correct name

Jewel box clam 10/16/03

Hello, I just recently got some live rock from Tampa bay saltwater, When I was observing the rock in a quarantine tank I noticed what looks like siphons coming out of a few rocks, they told me these were Jewel box clams?

<very common... actually fairly hardy for being non-photosynthetic>

I have not been able to find out much about these as far as care and requirements.

<they are obligate filter-feeders. You will want/need to have a fishless refugium plumbed inline to the display and/or have a deep sand bed for producing plankton and nutrients to sustain them. Most bottled supplements will not adequately feed them. You might try DTs phytoplankton though>

I have placed the rock in my refugium and all appears to be

fine. Do you know anything about these or where I can find more info. As always thanks.

<we do have a solid chapter on care for bivalves in our new book Reef Invertebrates (Calfo and Fenner). I would also suggest you explore the message boards for fellow enthusiasts of filter-feeders. Many such folks there. Best regards, Anthony>

you lucked out. i paid $15 for mine. :)

Ok, I have no refugium, and I dont think I will be able to set one up- do you have any advice as to feeding them?

thanks in advance,

jane

Sparkling_Surfer

DT's phytoplankton should be enough. I've kept about 12 turkey wing oysters in my 12 gallon for nearly 10 months now, no problem :)

Archived