Pod Your Reef

Hitchhikers ID please

ClowningAround

ClowningAround

Ok so i was pretty bummed i couldnt afford shipping of LR&LS, and i thought i really wouldnt get critters from the LFS, but with only about a 35min drive back to my room i found three. One huge one that im pretty sure is an asterea snail, another maybe some kind of anemone or soft coral, and lastly a small feather duster(it does open and close). Let me know if you guys know exactly or even just a push in the right direction..., Thanks so much for your help :D

nlu4cz.jpg

nlu4ht.jpg

nlu4jd.jpg

Sparkling_Surfer

Yep, astrea, anemone, and feather duster.

As for the anemone, you might want to get rid of him...he looks like a curly cue anemone which is a specie of aptasia, I think. Doesn't look like a majano. I had one of those in my tank at the beginning for a few months, then she just disapearred. She never reproduced and I thought she was a beautiful addition to the tank...but you just have to be careful.

See this thread if you think it might be a majano:

Are Majano anemones really that bad?

ClowningAround

So do you think i should wait a little while to see for sure? or should i carry out a seek and destroy mission, i hate to kill it it is so cute. I mean i litteraly drove my LV in a foam box..in no water... in about 40degree weather then put them in my tank and about 3 hours later this popped up....crazy!

Even if they're pests, you have to admire their hardiness! And they are interesting cnidarians in their own right...

If curly cues multiply as rapidly as the more common species, you might want to eradicate it as soon as possible. If they grow & reproduce more slowly, like majanos, you could take a wait-and-see approach. It probably won't be a problem until you want to add corals.

Keep watching your rock--bet you see more and more things appear over time. Looks like great rock to me!

--Diane

ClowningAround

Ok Hitchhiker update and add ons, i have the one green feather duster and a purple one is starting to pop up next to it. there is also this white stalky thing there too. Also i have a worm it looks pretty much like a bristle worm. And lastly the curly cue anemone like Sparkling_Surfer said...as its getting bigger and bigger it is looking more like the pictures... and alot less cute lol, any corrections are welcome :D

nvbpmb.jpg

nvbps4.jpg

nvbqqg.jpg

More great pics!

Looks like the most common type of hitchhiker bristleworm, a handy scavenger. I have a lot and I like them. Your white stuff could be forams--check this link and scroll down to see a picture that looks like yours (also see a picture of the same kind of bristleworm on this page...and if you hold on to this link, and look at its linked pages, you may find pics of other things that show up in your tank):

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_rock3.htm

Most sources identify curly cue anemones as Bartholomea annulata. I suggest you do a Google search on this species. You will find that quite a few places actually sell these. There are a few medical articles that mention their venom. You might also want to check out wetwebmedia, etc., to see what they have to say. Personally, I think I'd keep it until/unless it becomes a problem...

--Diane

ClowningAround

Thanks for the info on the curly cue Diane, i think i will keep him until he does something bad lol, also thanks for the link lots of good stuff on there

Here's what Shimek has to say in his book Marine Invertebrates:

Bartholomea annulata

Curleycue anemone

Maximum Size: To about 8 in. (20 cm) across the tentacles.

Range: Caribbean

Minimum Aquarium Size: Moderate tanks, 50 gal. (190L) or more.

Lighting: Immaterial.

Foods and Feeding: Nonzooxanthellate. Will feed on particulate material in the water column and can be fed any meaty foods fishes will eat. Live or frozen foods are better than flake.

Aquarium Suitability/Reef Compatibility: Once its particular conditions are met, it is reasonably hardy and a good aquarium inhabitant.

Captive Care: This anemone lives in rocks or gravel with the body protected in a hole, crevice, or cave, and only the tentacles extending into view. The body is often buried quite deeply into the substrate and when the tentacles are visible, the animal is significantly extended. If disturbed, it can withdraw very rapidly. This species will benefit from moderately strong currents, but overly vigorous currents will prevent any extension at all. The clear, transparent tentacles have characteristic white corkscrew markings running along them.

(p 100)

Sounds like it could outgrow your tank, and of course it could sting other things it touches, but you may be able to keep it for quite a while if it stays put and doesn't grow too fast. Perhaps you can control its growth by not feeding it very often?

--Diane

ClowningAround

wow thanks for all the information, this is great, that deffintaly sounds like it. I actually have not fed it at all it is just taking what is floating around in the water i guess. I think i am going to just watch it for a while becuase all i have in my tank are a couple feather dusters, a snail, and a hermit. So i dont think it can do much harm yet, thanks again :)

ClowningAround

ok i have another one! i tried researching and i have not found anything that fits, i thought it was dead, but still had hope and left it in the light...then i started to see life it chages shape (taller and skinnier...or squished down and flatter) and i also saw twice little brown stuff comming out the little hole on top(pooping alien?) i really wanted it to bust open to a beautiful zooanthid but i doubt it, maybe it is some sort of sponge?

ohpobd.jpg

ohpwm1.jpg

Well, I'd say be patient! Definitely looks like a zoa polyp that's getting healthier all the time. You may want to clear out some of the surrounding algae, though, especially that which is encrusting the base of the polyp--if you can get to it.

Zoas can be problematic--if you have no more progress after a few days, I would try moving the rock, if possible, to a different location. If that's not possible, you could always try cutting off the polyp and gluing it to something else.

Chances are, though, it's just taking its time adjusting to its current light situation...

Good luck!

--Diane

ClowningAround

cool i was really hopping it would be one, i did pull as much algae away as possible and i came back from being away a day and it grew all back. Im battling a bit of an algea problem(llazy clean up crew and i think to much light) so i hope the little guy pulls through. Thanks again Diane for coming through with the information, your the best!

Archived