inTank Media Baskets

Does Purple Up really work?

DAP

its kalkwasser mix in a bottle.

watered down and everything.

it works, but there are other, cheaper, ways to dose calcium and alkalinity buffer.

do a search for Kalkwasser Drips on google. if you dont want to do a drip, get a bottle and some dry kalk mix (or pickling lime for that matter) and mix your own "purple up".

in this hobby, they can sell you water and call it a miracle cure.

Give your tank some time, and a good and thorough maintenance schedule. Everything will work out over time if you keep your water quality as high as possible. Don't worry about gimmic products. Just maintain proper calcium and alkalinity and you'll get enough coralline.

yeah, you said just a 50/50 but didnt specify wattage. and you might be the only person on here that hasnt suggested something over 80 watts

If you're talking about a standard 10 gallon tank, then the standard hood with a normal output fluorescent 50/50 bulb is enough to grow lots and lots of coralline. I wouldn't go with anything special if you're not keeping coral since you absolutely don't need it. Maybe andykee will post a picture of the insane amount of coralline his girlfriend gets with just that bulb and no special dosing or anything.

Maybe andykee will post a picture of the insane amount of coralline his girlfriend gets with just that bulb and no special dosing or anything.

I'll post a picture tonight. Check back at 8pm (EST) or so...

ok, here are the pics...

first, the coralline factory. we use NO suppliments and dose nothing. the coralline really takes off, and the glass is usually covered bi-weekly (not full coverage, but probably 50% surface area, like the back). we just did a wc and scraped it all off of the 3 viewing panes, but you can see it all on the rock and back glass.

nikki.jpg

and just for steve, whose avitar looks like he has a sadass... it's SADASS!!! it's my gf's brother. he lived with us for about 6 months. he was perpetually sad for the last 3 months he lived with us. in this picture, he is sad because his sister (my gf) bought too much shampoo, and now the poor kids in china can't wash their hair :)

sad.jpg

she is running a 15W 50/50 flourescent bulb. there was coralline algae present on the rock, but nowhere near the coverage there is now following the cycle. that is one thing that i don;t think was mentioned here yet... you have to have a living "seed" somewhere, this stuff doesn't just appear all of a sudden.

right, but i was just making sure that your coraline actually grew. how long did it take to look as purple as that?

and what does the 50/50 term exactly mean?

yeah, it def. grew... it took about 6 months MAX to get full coverage.

a 50/50 bulb is a 50/50 mix of 6500k (white) and 420nm actnic (blue) light. i think it is something like the equivalent of a 14000k mh bulb.

I got mine from (gasp) petsmart or petco... Can't remember which. I think it was like $15 max. There is nothing special about these bulbs, they are pretty common. They do have to go into a stock hood though.

I'm not suggesting anything, just showing you what I've got. Here's something to consider though... 15w is pretty much too dim to doanything but keep rock and fish (and coralline). There are some pink and green star polyps and some zoanthids in the tank as well, and all are straining for light. Even if you don't want coral right now, but there is the smallest chance you will in toe future, I would say go with the 40. You couls also stick with the stock 15w and upgrade later. I think her whole lighting setup was something like $30 including the bulb, so it isa pretty cheap solution.

I work at a LFS so I get everything for cost. I have a 20gal hex with 80 watts over it that I may put corals in one day that sits in my living room. this 10gal is next to my bed and I doubt it will house anything other than fish. I simply dont have the time to care for corals. So I think I will try to put some low level wattage in the stock hood and see how things go. Thanks a ton for your help.

the first rule of nano reefing is to *TALK* about nano reefing.

the second rule of nano reefing is not to pay attention to the fish store guys.

Archived