Top Shelf Aquatics

host for clown in a 12 gal nano dx?

ExoticReefer

i was thinking about getting a clown (ocellaris or percula) for my 12 gal nano dx but wasnt sure if i could get any kind of host for the clown. i know ppl say aneomes are not a good idea for nanos but does anyone have one with a clown that works in a smaller tank without mh for lights?

no real upgrades to my tank yet....maybe eventually im sure.

but for now its:

one sponge in first chamber (other two removed)

chemi-pure in second chamber (bioballs, ceramic rings, and carbon removed)

a heater on the way for chamber two or three

a digital thermometer with its probe in second chamber

stock pump in third chamber (will upgrade if needed)

about 15 lbs live sand in tank (bought 20 lbs bag..didnt use it all)

about to order about 15 lbs of fully cured show rock from www.ecoreefaquatics.com/

how much light is really required for a bubble tip aneome to do well?

Carpet Anemones would be the preferred host but I think more light is needed for it to thrive. I dont want a dying aneome.

Would a clown host with Ricordia?? If so that would be nice and should work i think.

Heteractus magnifica gets too large for such a small setup from what ive seen.

Stichtodactyla crispa would be nice but how big does that get?

a tank that small shouldn't have any anemones in it because it's harder to keep water parameters stable enough for an anemone and there isn't really enough room. clowns don't need to host anything especially if they are captive bred because they have probably never seen an anemone also there is no guarentee that if you put an anemone in your tank that they'll host it. i reckon you should stay away from anemones and get a plate coral or something for them to host

I am so glad you asked this question because it is exactly what iw ant to know lol. I also wanted to know if it would be possible to have two clowns in a tank this size?

I think its fine to have 2 clowns in a 12 gallon nano cube (maybe not 2 large maroon clowns, but perc's or false perc's are good). I currently am hoping that my clown will try to host either my hammer coral or my frogspawn, however, she has shown no interest in either and instead is basically hosting the corner of my nano cube. Just goes to show you never know what a clownfish might decide on.

I just got a clown this weekend, the only fish in my nano cube. He decided to host in my colored (pink) feather duster! Fish is 1 1/2 inches long, the duster not quite that in diameter. Quite fun, tho I am worried he is expending more energy trying to anchor himself in there than he is saving in the short rest periods.

ok...thats what i wanted to know...i wasnt sure how picky clowns were for hosts. and if they could host with anything but an aneome.

i will be trying to host my clown with frogspawn or leather...

Clowns will host so many things. My clown in my cube hosts a huge patch of giant star poyplys i have (some of these things are an inch tall easily).

Archived