Coral Vue Hydros

DIY Refigium

Kassun

Just started back in the hobby with a 45g tank that I got for free. All I had to do is re silicone it :). I went to Home Depot and bought 2 x 1/4" 18" x 24" pieces of plexi glass for 12.99 a piece. I found a local acrylic dealer that cut and machined the edges for me for 7.50 and bought some glue from him for 6.50. The deminsions of the finished refigium are 24" x 5" x 12". I went to Menards and bought the 3/4" pluming supplies and an acrylic drill bit for around 15.00. The building went pretty fast as the liquid gule bonds in seconds. I ended up using silicone for the plumbing around where it attaches to the holes in the refigium. The reducer to the powerhead will fit my maxijet 1200 perfectly. Did a water test after 24hrs and all is good to go. I had a cpr aquafuge on my last 29g reef but didn't want to spend the money for a new one. The Refigium came out pretty good and I saved quite a few dollars. All that is left now is the baffels. I forgot to add them in when I built it :). I will be adding a basic 2" x 4" stand behind the tank to support the fuge.

-Kassun

post-572-1137543641_thumb.jpg

post-572-1137543657_thumb.jpg

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

nice clean sweet job, I need to do the same. One thing I would add would be a small wall where the water comes in so it doesn't disturb the substrate. Like the cpr model.

Looks real nice. I am also a Do-it-yourselfer. I'm all about saving some money in trade for some elbow grease.

I am new to reefing so I have to ask the question, what do you use to pump the water into it and then again pump it back into your aquarium.

Do you use 2 seperate pumps, and if so, what do you plan on using?

There is only one powerhead on the setup. The fuge will sit about 3" above the waterline in the tank. The powerhead will pump water into the fuge and it will drain back out through the out take pipe via gravity. The pump i wil be using is a maxi jet 1200. It's a real simple setup :).

-kassun

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions about the construction of the fuge.

1. did you use a jig or did you just glue it freehand?

2. how fast does the glue set?

3. would the design work if the water was siphoned in and them pumped out? (i think this would help prevent the risk of overflowing either the fuge or the tank.)

1. did you use a jig or did you just glue it freehand?

I did it free hand

2. how fast does the glue set?

gule set in less than 60 seconds

3. would the design work if the water was siphoned in and them pumped out? (i think this would help prevent the risk of overflowing either the fuge or the tank.)

The design will not overflow unless you pump more water in than can be drained. Thats why you have a powerhead on the intake and adjust the flow with the valve on the powerhead. :)

-kassun

Archived