Innovative Marine Aquariums

10gal sump/fuge

Bluelegs

• 3 weeks later...
scarf_ace1981

hey bluelegs looks good. it's still not to late to remove some of the excess silicone from the outermost edges. can i ask why your tnk is in a plastic bin?

I can't believe people are still posting here! The tub was purchased @ HD to satisfy my parents; there really is no point to it. I think I said it in another forum, but I have changed that bulb to a 6700K for algae growth and I'll update pics if you guys want. Not much is different, except for some new algae I added. I kinda want it to be a display fuge, but still inside the sump. I always liked j.morris's 2.5gal display fuge.

I have a question that I've never been able to figure out. What if the return pump just fails or there is a power outage, will the tank keep draining and the sump/fuge start to flood? I might try this kind of setup later on but am curious as to what would happen.

it is a great light! the caulerpa loves it, and has taken off. the most interesting thing is, i haven't been running pump or drain, so it's all the same, cold water that 'pods and caulerpa is thriving in! It's at like 68-70F. I guess that's not too cold, but I run my display at 81.

TON of flow. The corals seem to like it this warm, and the real issue is stablity of temp. Anywhere from 76-84F is fine, as long as it is constant.

Fluidimagery: good luck with the light! I probably should have looked into it more, but I had the fixture sitting in my closet so...

Just 2 PVC elbow joints

DSCF0857.jpg

Mesh and rubber bands to stop the fish from getting sucked in (again)

DSCF0858.jpg

My awesome new little sebae clownfish. He has so much energy! It's crazy!

DSCF0859.jpg

The ball valve

DSCF0860.jpg

This pipe goes all the way to the bottom so I can put carbon, etc. in there

DSCF0861.jpg

sweet pics man!

Can we have a FTS of the tank, the tank and sump, and the sump..? (Or refugium, w/e you wanna call it! ps-whats the difference between em?)

Flick

Alrighty!

DSCF0867.jpg

DSCF0864.jpg

DSCF0865.jpg

I hadn't cleaned off the glass when i took it, so deal :) !

BTW, a sump is more of a general term, referring to any extra water volume that is not in the main tank, generally used for filtration, hiding protein skimmers, or extra biological filtration.

A refugium is extra water where algae/LR rubble/sand is kept to promote the growth of copepods/other microfauna and to try and get rid nitrates/phosphates through the algae.

Also, does any one know why mu brain looks so fat!? A few days ago it had deeper folds, and it didn't expand as much. is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Chris

Why not put the heater in your fuge? anddo you have two ???

and a background would hide your equipment in the back...or paint the back outside glass black??

just a few suggestions.

looks good.

and i would keep you temp at 81...you are fine at that temp as long as you maintain it.

thx man!...nice!...enough surface scum though...lol

Aww..you have guinea pics?..or rabbits?..or rats in that cage!..lol. I had that igloo for my gerbils, which got chewed to nothing in less then 48hours! (smaller, pink version).

lol

Flick

Yeah, it was my sister's guinea pig, but she gave it up. Newbie: I tried keeping my main heater in the fuge, but it didn't maintain the temp., so I moved it back, and I now run a 50wt in the fuge. Also, I had a Family Guy poster as a background, but it got ruined. may i'll get a blue background one of these days.

Archived