Cultivated Reef

Chi-town reefers reunite!

firefishbrain

firefishbrain

I'm back, did anyone find any new stores and what not, there was a shop closing in crystal lake and they were selling tanks for next to nothing. I also figured this could be a classified section for us.

RayWhisperer

New shop in Arlington Heights, I think it's called Coral Paradise. It's somewhere on Rt. 14, though I don't know where. The owners name is Jim I think.Note: new store I have not yet visited. I'll post more info on it if need be, just let me know.

i'm a neewbie but i was just at a store in crystal lake that is well established and unfortunately filthy. maybe i'm missing something and i dont know how to take care of a sw fish store, but dirty tanks, with salt caked on the lids and a 12 gallon nanocube with two seahorses made me decide to spend money elsewhere, and that elsewhere is at petland in rockford, yep petland, super knowledgable staff and an awesome sw fish area, cured liverock in large tidepools, soft corals, clean up crews, you name it they got it. and what impressed me most is that the place is spotless, its like going to the shedd aquarium, there must've been 20 people in the fish area yesterday oooing and aaahhhing, i got 10 lbs of cured liverock and as my tank is cycling i'm already seeing life pop up everywhere. they may be pricey but i had a good experience.

firefishbrain

name please, so we can flame them, muhahaha.

oh and I wanna check that place out next time I'm in that area.

oh and pet land in crystal lake has no sw, if anyone was wondering.

were there any little kids banging on the glass yelling NEMO, NEMO!

sorry this is all distorted.

its behind cherry valley mall if you get the chance, i'm in crystal lake daily, can you suggest any good shops in the area?

Green Goblin

Check out these for sure:

Old Orchard Aquarium (beyond explaination)

9235 Skokie Blvd

Skokie, IL 60077

Ph: 847-675-3474

Capture The Sea (Un-paralelled LR) Gotta get there right when it's delivered.

8010 West 171st Street

Tinley Park, IL

Ph: 708-444-7614

Living Sea, Aquarium, INC.

Corner or Cumberland Ave & Devon

Park Ridge, IL

847-698-SALT

RayWhisperer

Well, since were posting shops over again....

Oceans Floor

1510 Industrial Dr. Unit A

Lake in the Hills, IL. 60156

(847)854-1200

Upscale Aquatics

15412 S. Rt.59 Unit S

Plainfield, IL 60544

(815)439-3342

This one's for you ffb

Aquatic Reef

737 S. 8th. St.(Rt. 31)

West Dundee, IL. 60118

(847)426-5003

Advanced Aquatics

879 S. Roselle Rd.

Schaumburg, IL. 60193

(847)584-0250

Coral Paradise

24 E. NW HWY.

Arlington Heights, IL.

(847)632-1779 NOTE: This is the store I mentioned above

RayWhisperer
i'm a neewbie but i was just at a store in crystal lake that is well established and unfortunately filthy. maybe i'm missing something and i dont know how to take care of a sw fish store, but dirty tanks, with salt caked on the lids and a 12 gallon nanocube with two seahorses made me decide to spend money elsewhere

name please, so we can flame them, muhahaha.
More than likely Birds and Beasts. Dirty, poor service, pay through the nose for near dead corals. Just my experience.
firefishbrain

birds'n'beasts is mostly freshwater, they ocasionally get good stuff, but not coral, no way, the other pets are healthy though, that's where I got my budgie, he is awesome!!!

dingdingding!! we have a winner!! i'm sure they have good aspects, as for sw and my lack of experience, i passed. is it ok to put 2 seahorses in a 12gal nanocube? they looked miserable. soft coral tank had green algae creeping up the glass. and free salt-cakes all over. i'll swing by oceans floor this week. man i tell ya 4 days into sw and i've burned up the bucks. my eyes hurt from gazing at rocks in my tank. so far i have copepods, amphipods, featherduster worm, a few bristleworms and 3 or 4 brittle stars. liverock rocks!

went to Oceans Floor today and all i can say is WOW!! i love the 980 gal acrylic tank. thanks for the info. 1 down 7 to go.

its right by Lake in the Hills airport. 1 mile off RT14. great people run the place. oh and its not 980 gallons, just a mere 950 gallons. they have a website that shows it. oceansfloor.net

RayWhisperer

I stopped by there(Oceans Floor) yesterday, Dave said they were getting a pretty big shipment in today or friday. Said there would be a ton of Zoa's coming in. Sooo...... If anyone wants some new Zoa's it sounds like the place to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
firefishbrain

this is the only thread of all the chi-town threads I started that came up on seach, anyways this weekend aquatic reef is having a 2 year aniversary sale... oh and If anyone wa wondering, it's mostl likely a no-go on the red frogspawn..:(

firefishbrain

sherwin told me about all you guys asking, sorry, but no one was asking me a noel couldn't give me a straight answer on price sorry, but at the same time, it's a good thing. Since its winter it would cost us an arm andc a leg, if we wait till spring, it'll be a bit cheeper. I picked up some cool zoas though, pink and green on the same rock, they had lots of sps.

Hey everybody, I just stopped by Strandell's Equine and pet center. The store is going out of buisness. Altough primarily FW(all fish long gone), they are having a sale. 50% off dry goods excluding food items. 30% off non food horse items. Store tanks are stacks of three 75 gal each, some plummed for overflow, others just have a built in filter chamber in the rear, some are divided but the dividers can be removed. They are glass custom tanks w/ two NO 48 watt flourecent bulbs and ballast. They will sell them at $400 for a stack of 3. They also have some custom glass tanks of 400+ gals, not made to hold water, but could easily be sealed. They are $500 ea.

For you reptile folks, they've got a wall unit w/ alot of units for$500.

Also, one wall bird unit and one wall bird/small animal unit $400 ea.

Everything must be picked up by this thursday.

Addy: 2025 E. Algonquin Rd.

Algonquin, Il. 60102

(847)658-8866

Archived