Cultivated Reef

Proraptor’s 60 Gallon Cube (24”x24”x24”)

proraptor

I started off with a 5 gallon minibow, then a 12 gallon via Aqua, and now I have a custom 60 cube! This is my first stab at larger reef tanks and Ill use this thread to diary my progress. Here is a little about my tank:

Tank: custom Visio 60 gallon cube, center overflow with 1.5 inch drain, 1 ¾ inch return that splits to 2 ¾ inch returns (on side of overflow). Black silicone.

Lights: 1 250 watt HQI Aqua Medic Ocean light Metal Halide with a XM 15K bulb. 2 65 watt PC’s 8800K retrofit.

Sump: 24”x 12” x 16” acrylic with filter sock and baffles/sponge

Protein skimmer: Life reef VS 24” with a Mag drive 9.5

Return Pump: Panworld 50PX-X 1110 GPH (very quiet and runs super cold! Awesome pump!)

Refugium: Ecosystem 24” x 8.5” x 8.5” acrylic. Live rock rubble, live sand, Chaeto Macro Algae, Current USA 12” 2 Sunpaq 18 watt PC’s.

Stand/Hood: DIY Oak

Live rock: 100-120 lbs of fully cured live rock

Live Sand: 10 pounds live sand, 35 lbs oolite

Corals:

-Blue Xenia

- Red Sea Xenia

-Pom Pom Xenia

- Acan Lord Frag

-Red/Purple Fuzzy Mushrooms

-Neon Green long tentacled Frogspawn with purple tips

- Green with Brown spot mushrooms

- purple center neon green skirt zoas

- neon green skirt baby blue zoas

-brown skirt purple center zoas

- brown skirt tan center zoas

- purple mushrooms with red dots

- brick red digi

- brick red fungia plate

- Rainbow Yumas

- Anthelia

- Singularia

- Green with red ring Favia Colony

Fish:

- baby Percula clownfish

- 4 Line Wrasse

- Lawnmower Blenny

Shrimp:

- Cleaner Shrimp

- 3 Peppermint Shrimp

Crab:

- Porcelin Crab

- Eriphia Sebana (in refugium)

- 12 Scarlet Hermit Crabs

- Zebra Hermit Crab (in refugium)

Snails:

- 7 Turbo Snails

- 4 Large Nassarius snails (white/tan shell)

- 3 small Nassarius snails (black shell)

PICTURES WILL BE UP TONIGHT WHEN I GET HOME FROM WORK

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plumbing:

Inside the o-flow I have a 1.5 inch DIY durso standpipe.

1.5 inch drain splits off into two 1 inch lines. One line goes to the refugium and one line goes to the sump, both have ball valves to control flow.

The refugium sits on a shelf in the stand above and behind the sump. The refugium returns into the sump return water section with a ball valve and union.

Then you get an immediate 90 to a ball valve, then union then to the return pump. The return pump then pushes the water through a union, check valve, and barb to ¾” vinyl tubing to the return bulkhead.

Then back in the overflow I have a barb to an immediate “Y” to 2 barbed 90’s through bulkheads on the side of the overflow to locline back into the tank.. Im soon going to add a “Y” in the loc line so I can direct the water to where I want it to go more.

Ill have pics up tonight Mike....The sump and pump are working perfect, Thanks for the awesome deal! Feel free to come over and take a look at the tank anytime..

Here are some pics:

FTS

IMG_0700.JPG

Right side

IMG_0740.JPG

Left side

IMG_0741.JPG

Lights/hood

IMG_0710.JPG

Sump/Refugium

IMG_0712.JPG

Some of my favorite zoas

IMG_0683.JPG

is that visio made by clear for life? i assume it's glass and if so where did you purchase it? thanks...

I just know its made by visio, Yes it is glass and I purchased it from www.reefcollection.com

Yeah I am really enjoying all the room I have now...Cant wait to get some nice colonies in there. Im still waiting for my buddy to make me my reflectors for the 2 65 watt PC's...I should have them soon

My Cleaner shrimp cleaning my Lawnmower blenny...so freaking cool!

IMG_0760.JPG

Some cool zoanthids

IMG_0742.JPG

Cool mushroom

IMG_0744.JPG

Green with red ring favia

IMG_0525.JPG

1 of 7 rainbow yumas

IMG_0582.JPG

Fungia Plate

IMG_0531.JPG

Long Tentacle Frogspawn

IMG_0678.JPG

your tank is huge! i've been thinking of getting a cube myself, except 20x20x20 :P great rockwork!IMO, you can probably stack some more rocks in there :D that way your sps will be closer to the light, i say stack em up high till it's like 4" from the top! you got a lotta room :D more fish! man if i had a 60 i'd be swimming in tang heaven, lol

Archived