Top Shelf Aquatics

New Coralife 150 watt MH clamp on light.

aquaman67

I've had this light since mid summer or so, and recently it seems to be making more and more noise. And it's not just the wire rubbing up against the fan; I've already tried to move that out of the way. The whole thing seems to make a really loud humming noise, especially at start up and at night when the light is off. Starting to think I should've went t5.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

i wouldnt think its too bright because my dog likes to sleep leaning against the tank on the bottom and i dont know why but mine has a whole seperate switch for the fan. sux for me i guess

• 3 weeks later...

Mine started to make more noise than I'd like too.

I took the fan out and broke it. (not on purpose) I broke one of the fins.

I left the fan off. It's been off since June.

I figured that since that little fan really didn't move much air and the 150 Watt pendant doesn't even have a fan, why do I need one?

After all these lights are more open to the air than the pendants so it shouldn't be problem.

• 3 weeks later...

So I am now looking into getting this light for a 14g starphire tank I am building. I really enjoy the look of this, but after reading some of this I just have a couple of questions.

1) Are there still noise issues? This is going to be in my bedroom (making a clown/anenome tank) and noise would be a bad thing

2) Any luck on putting different bulbs on this fixture? I work at a glass company, so if it is as simple as ordering a piece of tempered glass, that is no problem at all for me, just need to make sure I can do this.

Please let me know, I'm trying to get everything ordered by Thurs. Thanks!

well ive been doing the same as aquaman by not running my fan. im just lazy and dont have my fan switch hooked up to a timer so i have to turn it on/off manually but i never do (lazy). no fan = 0 noise. i'll ust the fan in the summer

Yeah that seems like a good thing to do, especially as I like to keep my apt pretty chilly anyway.

However, what about the UV protection? Can I just slide a piece of 1/8" tempered glass and cover myself? I called Coralife and they told me that their HQI bulbs don't emit UV rays (I assume they meant they just had a UV protective coating on them already). However I would like to switch bulbs anyway as I don't really want a 20,000k and want to do a different brand.

Yeah that seems like a good thing to do, especially as I like to keep my apt pretty chilly anyway.

However, what about the UV protection? Can I just slide a piece of 1/8" tempered glass and cover myself? I called Coralife and they told me that their HQI bulbs don't emit UV rays (I assume they meant they just had a UV protective coating on them already). However I would like to switch bulbs anyway as I don't really want a 20,000k and want to do a different brand.

mine came with a glass cover that covers the bulb. almost like a glass tube split in half the long way.

I just ordered mine for a 10 gallon hex tank i got. Should i somehow mod the UV glass and how do you do the hinge mod or whatever its called thanks.

Search for mods to this light.

I have one over a 20L with the mod.

It was super easy to do. I own a Dremel but used a hacksaw

and made the cut across the square without removing

any material as suggested.

Works great!!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

please post some pictures of how you guys mounted it to the back of the eclipse.

Mounting pictures and overall tank pictures would be great.

I am mounting the MH now, so input whiile doing it would be sweet.

I need some more ideas.

Thanks

Tim :)

Does anyone know the Length of the Clamp (Aqualight Pro - Clamp on)?

Thanks

about 5 1/2 inches long and 3 inches thick for the mounting clip

please post some pictures of how you guys mounted it to the back of the eclipse.

Mounting pictures and overall tank pictures would be great.

I am mounting the MH now, so input whiile doing it would be sweet.

I need some more ideas.

Thanks

Tim :)

anyone? B)

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the update.

Is this light still available? Can you identify it? (Links from the first page no longer work.)

thanks,

hank

as far as I know the light is still available. I got mine from Marine Depot. They do price matching and have excellent customer service and fast shipping.

Professional company, and no bull *hit if you know what I mean.

the 150w mh clamp on is nice and I like it.

For everyone that is modding their fixture by cutting please read!

There is no need to cut the slide in order to reverse the screw. Simply unscrew the panel at the base of the actual fixture and you will see 2 wire nuts. Undo these nuts and then you will be able to pull the cord thru the slide, turn the slide 180, and thread the cord back thru. Reconnect the wires (doesn't matter which wire goes where, if you are worried label them before undoing.

My first fixture broke when I cut the slide, too much weight I guess.

as far as I know the light is still available. I got mine from Marine Depot. They do price matching and have excellent customer service and fast shipping.

Professional company, and no bull *hit if you know what I mean.

the 150w mh clamp on is nice and I like it.

Thanks for the update. I just realized you had the name in the post title (keen sense of the obvious - given sufficient time, :rolleyes: )

So I guess it's this one then:

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/aqu...-tank-mount.php

I run hot and cold over getting something like that (or a Viper) vs. the Sunpod. I like the easy adjustability of something like this, but wonder if I would miss the LEDs. I don't recall hearing anyone say they were disappointed with either except for one person who thought that 150w HQI was too much for a 10g tank.

thanks,

hank

Archived