Pod Your Reef

Tigahboy's 67g Reef Project

Tigahboy

Yes, this is not a nano at all...but I figured I'd start a new thread (since my main thread is kind of too long) and show you my set-up process for my 67g.

After all, setting up a tank, whether it is a 10g or 67g, is somewhat similar so I thought it would be useful to post the progress here.

My 67g reef project will probably take me at least a month or so to finish, so check back in regularly to see the up-to-date status of my upgrading endeavor.

I'll try to take pics often and try to give a step-by-step account of my "journey."

Here's a pic of my initial plans for this 67g tank:

67gfront.jpg

67gback.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted a long tank, but not super tall...so I decided to have my tank custom made.

The custom acrylic tank is being made by the nice folks at http://www.socalcreations.com

I decided to have the back wall and internal overflow box made from dark blue acrylic instead of having the back painted. Acrylic thickness is 3/8".

Here's some progress pics from socalcreation's website:

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

overflow.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

The tank is scheduled to be done by next Wednesday (1-18-04)

I have to finalize where I want the holes for my closed loop and returns, plus figure out size of holes by this weekend.

I think it looks great too! those guys at socalcreations make nice tanks at reasonable prices.

Naw, didn't opt for curved corners. Tried to keep the price on the tank alone as reasonable as possible. hehe. Total cost of tank out the door is $350.

Well my apt can't accomodate much bigger. And I really want to have the new tank in the same place my current tank is set-up. Just to accomodate the 67g's measurements (48x18x18 ), I already have to take the closet door off (probably hang a curtain to cover the closet), or else I won't be able to open or get access to the closet at all.

And no other wall in my apt is freed up enough to even fit the 67g at all.

I'll try to do an inventory of my equipment so far and post pics tomorrow.

I still have a lot to buy, so hopefully I can find the rest of my set-up's components at a reasonable price...this project is turning out to be freakin expensive!

Looks like your gonna have a sweet set-up pretty soon! I don't see how you find the time to maintain these tanks and NR being in the Law program and all. My GF goes to UT Law and she barely finds time to eat. Anyways, I can't wait to see this tank stocked...are you also gonna make the switch to RC?

Don't do it!!! We've lost so many Nano-Soldiers to the RC...

The first one is a Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC =1225gph @ 3' head.

I plan to use this for closed loop connected to OM Squirt.

The second is a Pan World 50px-x =1110gph.

This will serve as return pump from fuge/sump tank.

equip1.jpg

Wow, great looking tank. What made you decide to go acrylic? I personally would never do an acrylic reef tank.. scared of the potential/unavoidable scratches. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I can learn from you for my future 72" x 20" x 20" reef tank. :)

Originally posted by Pili4444

Are you going to make all us nano'ers jelous by gettin a tang?:P  

Looks really nice, what are your plans for aquascaping?

Hehe. A Yellow Tang is the first thing on my list in terms of livestock for the new tank. heheh. and nobody try to stop me and tell me that they need a minimum of 75g! My tank will have a footprint of a standard 90g! heheh.

Originally posted by NaNO ReeFiN

Wow, great looking tank. What made you decide to go acrylic? I personally would never do an acrylic reef tank.. scared of the potential/unavoidable scratches. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I can learn from you for my future 72" x 20" x 20" reef tank. :)

Hey Nano_reefin.

My current 30g is an acrylic tank and after trying acrylic (I had just glass tanks before that), I honestly can't go back to glass. The clarity of a well maintained acrylic tank is just way better for my eyes than when I had glass tanks.

I definitely will be doing acrylic from now on...unless I become rich and can afford starpphire glass. hehe.

My 30g tank right now has lots of scratches but they are hardly noticeable and when ppl come over to check it out, they don't see them until I actually point them out.

And acrylic is so much easier to make a bunch of holes wherever in the back for closed loops and tons of returns..

in the end, I will have 8-10 holes cut out in the back wall of my new tank. 6-7 holes will be devoted for returns so that's a lot of points of entry for circulation and flow.

Archived