Coral Vue Hydros

Mini Monster 38

BusterDB

Got bit by the reef bug late last year and realized there was no known cure for this infection. It had a death grip on me and all I could do was.... buy a new tank!

I quickly out grew my BioCube 14 and bought this new tank to add a little flavor to the family room. I figured it would give the kids something look at, my wife something to complain about and give myself something to fuel my obsession. I am not an expert by any means and usually have to make a few mistakes before I get it right. So I welcome all feedback / advice.

Current FTS: Jan 1 2014

1d1d3bbd-8b18-4cea-99b0-a3bf8511f992_zps

Oct 28

3f115e66-c776-466c-bb63-b7ccb5af9018_zps

Aug 26

DSC00517_zps5b37e28c.jpg

July 10

4eda48a7-b57e-4f14-9601-f71deadba263_zps

June 9

36a51a55-cd9d-450e-ab3b-62ae98295b04_zps

May 15 (w/ new Radion Pro) B)

405a7ed8-9b37-4d88-bc0e-842893a764d9_zps

afc1ccff-04dc-46e5-a006-1a89441505a3_zps

April 18

b54070d7-55c1-4522-accb-1b806c92f474_zps

March 15

26225679-14A9-4B65-9F8F-D6362F2A446D-721

Feb 10

5a9da2ba-c741-4eaf-abb1-ceac85ddbb6f_zps

January 7

FTSJAN7_zps25a091a6.jpg

November 16

DSC00047.jpg

Equipment:

Tank - Innovative Marine Mini Nuvo 38

Stand - Innovative Marine

Lights - Aqua Illuminations Vega, Radion Pro

Flow - MP10wes x2

Skimmer - Innovative Marine Skimmate

Heater - Ebo Jager 150w

Stevie T Filter - Baskets x2 - Chaeto, CPE, GFO and Floss

Rock and Sand: Tonga live rock 28lbs Caribsea Arag-Alive 40lbs

Fish:

Black and White Ocellaris​ (moved to basement tank)

Standard Ocellaris (moved to basement tank)

Purple Firefish (m.i.a.)

Bangai Cardinal

Six-Line Wrasse

Blue Spotted Jawfish (jumped through lid)

Mystery Wrasse

Yellow Tang - returned to LFS - (red turff algae experiment)

Phantom Clownfish

Davinci Clownfish

Lubbock's Wrasse

Sunburst Anthias

Inverts:

Clean up crew - Various snails and crabs

Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

Pom Pom Crab ( seen 3 times since introduced)

Emerald Crab

Corals:

SPS:

Purple Highlighter Acro

ORA Bird of Paradise

Ice Fire Echinata

ORA Borealis Acro

Hawkins Echinata Acro

Purple Plasma Acro

Pink Pocillapora

Forest Fire Digitata

Superman Montipora

Rainbow Montipora

Tubbs Blue Montipora Stellata

Green Monti Cap

Pink Setosa

Lemon Lime Shortcake Acro

Red Planet Acro

Mellow Yellow Acro

Blue Tort

Raspberry Delight Purple Tip Millipora

Green and Purple tip Pocillapora

LPS :

Ultra Pink Rainbow Acan Colony

Blue Rainbow Acans

Red/Green Acans

Incredible Hulk Acans

Red/Blue Acan

Mystery Chalice

Blue Moon Chalice

The Hills Have Eyes Chalice

Miami Hurricane Chalice

Blastomussa Merletti

Green Frogspawn

Purple and Green Euphylia

Golden Chalice

Crayola Chalice

Orange Fungia

Orange and Red Scolymia

Zoas/Paly's:

God of War Paly

Metalic Pink Paly

Super Neon Paly

Gauntlet Zoa

Radioactive Dragons

Sunny D Paly

Ice Fire

Alien Explosions

Captain America Palys

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome tank. Looks great

Thank you. Just checked out your build...looking good. Still can't get over that hitchhiker Eel! That's crazy.

This is an awesome tank! I love the scape. I have the nuvo 30 and I am contemplating getting a vega. How do you like the light?

Thanks! I think the scape looks good but I'm not sold on it just yet. The bottom left side of the tank is kind of dim and tank maintenance can get tricky.

The Vega is an outstanding light. I've only had it since mid Sep and already starting to see a difference in the color of my SPS. The color is more saturated and growth has taken off with on a few corals. The only downside that I can see is an increase in red turf algae. Which may or may not be from the addition of red spectrum in the light. So far, its a kick a$$ light but I will say the wireless controller is a joke. But the controller issue should be solved once AI releases the new Director control platform.

Nice job on the second tank! I also like the scape. Too bad about the BSJ :(

Oh and I also loved the gansta light shot, lol. You should post it Kat's Ghetto thread in the DIY section.

Nice job on the second tank! I also like the scape. Too bad about the BSJ :(

Oh and I also loved the gansta light shot, lol. You should post it Kat's Ghetto thread in the DIY section.

lol. Thanks for stopping by Spiro. If my wife didn't want her lamp back, I would have thrown a Par38 up in there and called it a day! I'll have to check Kat's ghetto thread, but I'm not sure they can handle all that gangsta...

^ Thank you.

Hoping my Mystery Wrasse finds his appetite sometime soon. Going on day 5 and I've seen him in two spots, in a rock and swimming right next to the same rock. I've fed a little bit of everything and the whole time he has eaten maybe 3 mysis shrimp. He better figure it out soon. I'll be bummed if I lose this guy within a week of my BSJ taking a dive on the floor.

we have a keg at work set aside just for us. lol cant wait to tap that ##### :D

That sounds like trouble! My neighbor has it on tap in his basement and Xmas ale hangovers are not pleasant. Gotta love Great Lakes though, not sure I've had a beer from there I didn't like.

The Mystery man finally came out of hiding today and ate some mysis. Apparently he found the cleaner shrimp too and hasn't taken his crazy eyes off him. Prob going to have to make a move or this could get ugly.

B6A34AA2-5EBD-4B97-B004-1891A755EF64-993-00000064FA0BE49D.jpg

Don't even think about it.

2B5904A7-D65C-4274-B3DE-692E83EC40B4-993-00000064DC3CE8E5.jpg

how do you like the tank? Im thinking of getting one. Do you got the dimensions?

The tank is really nice and well made. The only thing I don't like is the stand. Obviously its top heavy, but it's def not sturdy enough in my opinion. I think IM went with form over function in this case. I'm actually looking into a custom stand at the moment. Tank dimensions are 23.5L x19W x19H

The tank is really nice and well made. The only thing I don't like is the stand. Obviously its top heavy, but it's def not sturdy enough in my opinion. I think IM went with form over function in this case. I'm actually looking into a custom stand at the moment. Tank dimensions are 23.5L x19W x19H

ahh cool ill try to get this for christmas or something lol

how do you like the vega btw?

So far the Vega has been great and the corals seem to be liking it. Only negative has been the controller but I'll be swapping it for the Director control platform as soon as AI releases. Overall it's a sweet little light.

Lovely.

Thank you!

Gotta love Black Friday. Scored a pretty sweet deal on a Sony Nex-5 camera. It's no DSLR but still not to shabby. Still trying to figure out how to work this thing. Here's a few practice shots.

pinkacanedit.jpg

Bangai.jpg

BlackClown.jpg

PinkAcan.jpg

Here's a few more shots with the new camera.

Mystery2-2.jpg

Mystery Man

babyicefire.jpg

Smallest IceFire frag on the planet. Can u spot it?

PurpleHA.jpg

zoomed in Purple Highlighter Acro

Pinkacan.jpg

Pink Rainbow Acan

you like that camera yet? :D

I do. It packs a lot of puch for a point and shoot and so far its been great. Haven't even scratched the surface with this thing. Most of the pics I've taken have been indoors and of the kids and tank. Gotta try the 3D movie thing soon.

Should have some new frags later this afternoon. Heading down to Tidal Gardens to see what I can find. I'm on the prowl for a nice piece of Monti Cap. I'm sure find more than I need down there, his selection is the best I've seen around NEO. Should have some pics up later.

I do. It packs a lot of puch for a point and shoot and so far its been great. Haven't even scratched the surface with this thing. Most of the pics I've taken have been indoors and of the kids and tank. Gotta try the 3D movie thing soon.

Should have some new frags later this afternoon. Heading down to Tidal Gardens to see what I can find. I'm on the prowl for a nice piece of Monti Cap. I'm sure find more than I need down there, his selection is the best I've seen around NEO. Should have some pics up later.

Tank looks really good! I am thinking about getting a vega do you see good growth and color from your zoas with this light?

Archived