ReefCleaners.org

makersLED Fuge Light Build

siwelk

~*Welcome*~

IMG_2287.jpg?t=1340038787

So, I won a $25 gift certificate from MakersLED at the Reefstock raffle back in March.

It will be used to build a fuge light in order to maximize growth of various macroalgae.

KIT

TOOLS

splatter_rev.jpg?t=1326860615

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice. I'm thinking about getting one of those heatsinks in 36" to do a build to replace the lights on my 40 breeder.

Apparently I have a reading comprehension problem.

The gift certificate was FROM makersLED FOR DF&S/Liveaquaria.

Surprisingly, I was contacted by someone at makersLED and they offered to trade the $25 credit.

Very nice. Good customer service prior to being a customer.

B)

Well that's nice of them. It's 2x the cost of a regular heatsink, but I'm really liking the looks of this one and particularly the quick assembly... Not to mention I would probably spend double the difference in fabricating a holder/enclosure for a standard heatsink.

I'm excited to see this build as I haven't seen much yet on this heatsink. It's just such a good idea IMO, I wish I would have thought of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent some time on various ATS sites looking for a consensus on an array.

It seems to be pretty well documented that people are having success with 660.

I think I'd like to try using 630 for their 'higher intensity' and see what happens.

I'm also considering doing 6x 630 2x 660 & 2x 420 and ditching the 455s altogether.

Given the modularity of the heatskink, I'm going to play this off as an experiment.

I appreciate you help however, at first I wasn't aware that the CREEs were ~ 630 nm.

The more people there are using a particular method, the more likely I am to try something different.

HecticDialectics
Haven't ordered yet due to production delays.

Also, switching to CREE XP-E red as available.

The 660s are only a week out. Is your tank going to crash and burn because it doesn't get a new fuge light in a week? Wait and do it right, imo. Intensity doesn't mean anything if the wavelength isn't optimal.

Your money to experiment with tho, just my opinion

jedimasterben
Intensity doesn't mean anything if the wavelength isn't optimal.

This, this, and a ####load more this. 630nm hits a small peak in chlorophyll b, but is next to nothing compared to the peak at 660nm for chlorophyll a. I still can't figure out why Ecotech put the Cree in the Radion.

Wait and do it right, imo.

That's what I'm attempting to figure out.

What exactly 'right' is and how to achieve it.

I've mapped points from a couple graphs here:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread...ull=1#post17563

And I'm currently thinking along the lines of:

• 6x 660nm
  • 2x 630nm
  • 2x 615nm
  • 1x 470nm
  • 1x 420nm

If my current DT build is any indication, these plans and ETA are extremely tentative.

jedimasterben
What about the OCW LEDs

What would those do? If he's already adding deep red and cool blue (proposed), the green from turquiose would do nothing at all.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
That's what I'm attempting to figure out.

What exactly 'right' is and how to achieve it.

I've mapped points from a couple graphs here:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread...ull=1#post17563

And I'm currently thinking along the lines of:

• 6x 660nm
  • 2x 630nm
  • 2x 615nm
  • 1x 470nm
  • 1x 420nm

If my current DT build is any indication, these plans and ETA are extremely tentative.

The growth will be fine with that to experiment with. From what I know the 4:1 of the 660nm to 455nm will work. The 660nm is the main source you need.

Ill be trying a 4:2:1 ratio of 660:420:455 to see what I can get.

Deckoz2302

actually....algae uses 630nm... not 660nm for photosynthesis. Your build should consist of natural white and 630nm's for your best fuge growth. 660nm are what corals use.

Jacob042426
actually....algae uses 630nm... not 660nm for photosynthesis. Your build should consist of natural white and 630nm's for your best fuge growth. 660nm are what corals use.

did you get my pm?

ModAquatics

Hey Deckoz,

Can you please point me to any links or scientific info that proves this? I am having trouble finding anything that proves corals need 660nm. I only see that in higher plants. From what I understand red light filters out in the ocean after a few meters.

Thanks,

Robert

I would check out the warm whites also they cover a lot of the wavelengths

I'm trying to realize growth using a few particular spectrums. No whites.

Honestly, for simplicity's sake, I would just do cool white and deep red LEDs.

I don't recall stating simplicity was a requirement. ;)

jedimasterben
Hey Deckoz,

Can you please point me to any links or scientific info that proves this? I am having trouble finding anything that proves corals need 660nm. I only see that in higher plants. From what I understand red light filters out in the ocean after a few meters.

Thanks,

Robert

Photosynthesis is not coral-specific, zooxanthellae will use any wavelengths provided. Throw a deeper water coral that is only use to 400-450nm and give it a range from 400-700nm and it will use what it "knows" and will also take advantage of the new wavelengths provided.

spectrumcorals.jpg

I don't recall stating simplicity was a requirement. ;)

:lol:

Archived