Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

Originally started this tank as a Peacock Mantis tank. Sadly, he passed away recently.

So now begins the next Journey. This time, I'm going with an Angler Fish.

As for the tank:

• 24x24x14 AIO (Made by John @ Advance Acrylics).

Lighting:

• Deep Blue Solar Xtreme 24x4

Heater:

• Eheim Jager TruTemp 200 Watt

Return Pump:

Water Flow:

• Loc-Line split in two directions.
  • MP10es

Top Off:

• AVAST ATO with Aqua-Lifter Pump

Controller:

• ReefKeeper Lite

Livestock:

• Angler Fish - Wartskin
  • Rock Flower Anemone
  • Odontodactylus Scyllarus - Peacock Mantis Shrimp - RIP 4/4/13

Coral:

• Fire & Ice Zoanthids

Macros:

• Red Titan
  • Blue Ochtodes
  • Red Grape Botryocladia
  • Iridescent blue fuchea
  • Dragons Breath
  • Codium
  • Pencil Cap
  • Fauchea (Red Dictyota)
  • Dictyota Ciliolata
  • Caulerpa Prolifera
  • Scroll Algae
  • Feather Caulerpa
  • Red Gracilaria
  • Star Grass
  • Purple Ribbon Gorgonian

....More to come....Stay Tuned

FTS 6/6/13

03QvES5.jpg

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Peacock Mantis - RIP 4/4/13IMG_20120531_200206.jpg

FTS Archive:

FTS 5/28/13

JXWvO8m.jpg

FTS 5/14/13

Y2lGE96.jpg

FTS 6/12/2012

FTS6712.png

FTS 4/30/2012
QJryG.jpg

FTS 4/27/2012
IMG_20120427_124617.jpg
Sketch of the Tank:
mantis.png

mantis_back.png

Need some input on loc-line and return parts. So far this is what I have:

returnplumbing.png

I know I need an elbow connection to go into the back of the bulkhead but no idea what type as there are so many. Any suggestions?

Also thoughts on return pump? Was planning on using the Maxi-Jet 900 but need to make sure whatever pump I use is quiet.

Decided to hit up the LFS on the way home and take a look at their plumbing parts. Turns out, I was missing one piece. Needless to say, I ended up getting all the plumbing parts today from the LFS.

Still need to decide on return pumps. Several people have said that he maxi jet series has gone downhill. The guy at the LFS suggested Cobalt Aquatics 900 which he said was made in Italy same as the old max-jet pumps.

Any thoughts on return pump would be appreciated.

At this point it looks like the tank should ship out Wednesday! I'm guessing I'll get it next Monday or Tuesday.

Just confirmed that tank will ship either tonight or tomorrow!

Should have it Monday or Tuesday next week.

Question regarding ATO:

Currently I have a JBJ ATO and it works great. However, I've been toying with the idea of going with an Avast ATO. Any reason I should or shouldn't switch?

Current pump is just an aqualifter that seems to be working just fine thus far.

The only real advantage I've seen to the Avast is that it can't be messed up by snails. Also, it does integrate with the RKL. I do have the RKL, but not sure what I'll gain by integrating the Avast with it?

Thoughts/suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Islandoftiki

Following!

You're going to make me want to get a peacock mantis now. This hobby is getting expensive. Lol.

Islandoftiki

Once you've had a mantis for a little while and get to watch them do their thing, you won't find them freaky at all. Honestly, they're cute as heck and very smart. You can literally see them thinking about what they're doing.

My fiance was a little uneasy about having a mantis shrimp in the house since they're "vicious predators". Hah! Not hardly. She's in love with the little guy now.

She's even game to feed it by hand. I'll make sure to video that one. She has parrots, so she's used to getting bit on a fairly regular basis, this little guy can't even come close to the damage a parrot can inflict.

They are by far the most fascinating creatures I've seen in a long time.

You hear all these things like - They greet you, watch you, etc. You can see them thinking, building, etc etc.

However, hearing is one thing; Once you get one, you see all of these, and much more. I can't wait to see how my Peacock does (once I get it).

As far as feeding by hand - Not even going to attempt it with a peacock :).

Pick out the most colorful mantis you see. Don't settle for an uglier one. I hate mantis shrimp, but if I had to have one I'd want a peacock. If you get a super colorful one, I'll probably like it. Just make sure the one you pick is perfect.

Pick out the most colorful mantis you see. Don't settle for an uglier one. I hate mantis shrimp, but if I had to have one I'd want a peacock. If you get a super colorful one, I'll probably like it. Just make sure the one you pick is perfect.

lol...Thanks. I'll do my best to make sure it is as colorful as possible :P

Looks like it's going to be a nice build. Peacock's are such monsters. My wennerae is shipping on Monday for a 5.5g office tank.

Just got a call to let me know that my tank has shipped!!

It is coming FedEx and according to the tracking number it should arrive Wednesday!

Now I just need a stand :)

Maxi-Jet 900 Utility Pump arrived today.

I checked with Marine Depot before ordering to confirm output size:

Hello,

We apologize that we missed your chat, the output size of the hose barb is ½ inch.

I Hope this helps

Walter F.

Customer Service

www.marinedepot.com

714-385-0080

Well, turns out Walter was incorrect. I called after receiving the order and explained what had happened. They verified that the output is in fact 3/4. After a short discussion MarineDepot is shipping me the following:

• FT1314 3/4 inch Clear Flexible Vinyl Tubing / Ft
  • FT6243 Insert Reducer Coupling Fitting - 3/4in Insert x 1/2 inch Insert

Needless to say I'm quite happy with their customer service :) !

Question:

I was thinking of using some of the water from my 55g to help speed things up with this tank when I get it setup. My thought was to take about 3 five gallon buckets of water from my 55g (when I do a water change) and use that water in this tank. The remaining water would be freshly made RO/DI water mixed with salt at the same salinity.

Is this logical or worth doing? Any downsides?

Islandoftiki
Question:

I was thinking of using some of the water from my 55g to help speed things up with this tank when I get it setup. My thought was to take about 3 five gallon buckets of water from my 55g (when I do a water change) and use that water in this tank. The remaining water would be freshly made RO/DI water mixed with salt at the same salinity.

Is this logical or worth doing? Any downsides?

Not really. Give the new tank a start with fresh clean salt water. The majority of the bacteria are on the rock and other hard surfaces with very little bacteria in the water column itself. Seed the sand bed with some from your bigger tank( even if you use live sand), and you could also help seed the tank with some live rock from your 55.

Good point. I was thinking about seeding with rock from my 55, however I don't want to put it in there with the Mantis :). It will need to go back in the 55 after a bit and I don't want to disturb any of his home, lol.

I have the live sand from my Pico I took down. It is currently in a bucket with water and heater. With the tank coming on Wednesday I was hoping to get things rolling this week. However I need a stand and am not making any progress with getting one :(

Looks like it's going to be a nice build. Peacock's are such monsters. My wennerae is shipping on Monday for a 5.5g office tank.

Make sure you let me know your build thread. N. Wennerae are a very cool species of Mantis. You'll love it.

Archived