Cultivated Reef

My Manta Ray 18

Josh125

Hi guys and gals,

I figured I would take some time to post up some pics and info on my tank. As is no surprise to this group, the work Chris did on the tank is stunning. The tank has been up for a week and a half.

The equipment is:

Pico Aquarium Manta Ray 18 - Starphire glass

Solana Stand - glass door modified to be opaque

Stock return pump - Not sure what size it is.

Tunze Osmolator

Finnex 50 watt heater

Kessil A150 10K

Aqua Life Mini 150 skimmer - Not yet installed

1 watt LED fuge light

5.5 gallon R/O top off tank

6 lb or so LR

15 lb. pink Fiji sand

Pics :happy:

IMG0603-XL.jpg

IMG0611-XL.jpg

IMG0614-XL.jpg

IMG0626-XL.jpg

IMG0624-XL.jpg

IMG0623-XL.jpg

IMG0632-XL.jpg

like it... minus the fact it looks like a spill hazard trying to fill that ATO. Guessing you have to pick it up full and push it back in?

Very nice setup!

Thanks

like it... minus the fact it looks like a spill hazard trying to fill that ATO. Guessing you have to pick it up full and push it back in?

Nope, just use a funnel and plastic tubing.

Thanks, it has a few weeks left to cycle which works out well because my work travel schedule the next few weeks...well it sucks :P

Thanks guys, the tank itself it so clean I didn't want to mess with the lines and kept it as simple as possible. At some point I'll get a controller, just figured I could wait on that for a bit.

bdaniel5278

man that thing looks very similar to mine, lol. I like the rock work. Looks good man, I know i am loving my MR 18 so far. Cant wait to see what ya do with it

I love the Pico Brand tanks. The overflows seem very innovative. I like the water level adjust-ability. I don't know much about the kessil lights, but at 150w that seems way overkill to me. I was under the assumption they were made to be used for very deep tanks. I have a hard time with my 3 watt crees having too much power sometimes. Awesome build though, I like the layout of the rock.

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much to update yet, the tank is coming out of the cycle. The pod population is booming, buggers are everywhere. The light bleached a bit of the coraline out on the rocks, but honestly not as much as I thought.

So I do have a bit of a problem. I noticed the other day what appeares to be flatworms, SOB. They must have been in the LR. There aren't all that many of them yet so my thought was to nuke them while the tank is still empty. Thoughts?

Deleted User 4

I'm going to get the same exact tank and lights lol, crazy how I see my future build right here, subscribed. like I was thinking whether I should get the manta ray 15 or 18 and whether I should get the kessils 10k or 15k ahah this tank thread made my final decision.

shaneandjohn

Wow, I really like what you have done there!! This set up looks sooo clean and very well thought out.

I will keep watching for your updates and pics..:)

I love this tank! Rimless tank, simple scape. Love it. Now get some corals in there so I can drool over your tank even more.

Deleted User 4
Not too much to update yet, the tank is coming out of the cycle. The pod population is booming, buggers are everywhere. The light bleached a bit of the coraline out on the rocks, but honestly not as much as I thought.

So I do have a bit of a problem. I noticed the other day what appeares to be flatworms, SOB. They must have been in the LR. There aren't all that many of them yet so my thought was to nuke them while the tank is still empty. Thoughts?

get a six-line wrasse?

get a six-line wrasse?

Yeah that is an option, I ended up dosing FE yesterday and a few of them managed to survive. When I get back in town Thursday I'll do another dose. I've read that Melanurus wrasses have a special affinity for the worms so I might go that route.

The tank though looks great, through the cycle and ready for livestock. I've decided to wait given the flatworm issue and I'm out of town more than I am in town the next few weeks. I've never had a starfire tank before, wow it is amazing how clear the glass is. Amazes me every time I look at it.

Aside from the tank, the osmolator is my favorite item. It keeps the tank absolutely steady and is a set it and forget item. Using the Kessil for 10 hours a day I'm only going through ~5 gallons every 2 weeks....loving that.

Deleted User 4

lol that wrasse is too big for your tank, and you wont be able to put ornamental shrimps/inverts unless you're going mystery wrasse?

Archived