SaltCritters.com

Dweeeezy's Fluval Spec

dweeeezy

FTS Finally 3/24/2012

9c1a9140.jpg

Here's a picture of the sideboob with the refugium light on.

173f5ffb.jpg

Hey everyone, I bought a Fluval Spec a couple of months ago that I never used but now I found the perfect time to use it! I am going to keep the stock light and pump but I am taking out the sponge, ceramic rings, and bioballs. I also plugged the chamber hold with a piece of acrylic.

Current Equipment/Livestock List:

Stock 40gph return pump

Stock 31 LED light lamp

Hydor Theo 50 Watt Heater

Chaetomorpha

Submersible Refugium Light

Filter Floss

1 inch sand bed of coral reef sand

3 pounds of cycling dry rock

RO Water from vending machine (0-2 TDS)

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Future Equipment/Livestock List

Chemipure Elite

Purigen

Clown Goby

Zoas/Mushrooms/LPS

Sweet! you know the wattage on that stock light? Glad to have another "3 and under" thread up and running!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry i've been laggin. Been busy with school since midterms are this week. I'll try and get em up tonight! Thanks

Islandoftiki

Suggestions as a fellow Fluval Spec reefer...

Plug off the lower hole between the filter chamber and the main display otherwise most of the water will bypass your filtration. I used epoxy putty.

Upgrade the pump to a MiniJet 404. It's not terribly expensive, like 17 bucks. Fits in with simple modification.

I have a submersible 10watt fuge light that I tried, but it puts too much heat into the little tank. Make sure you use LED's. The JBJ Nano-Glo works great on a Spec. You can also stick the stock light to the back of the tank. It's bright enough to grow chaeto.

Build a little media rack, it's super cheap and easy and will help with flow. Look at the one in my thread in my signature.

The stock LED isn't quite bright enough IMO. You could maybe do a mushroom/zoa tank with the stock lighting, but it's a little sketchy. Make this a priority. Use your stock light to grow chaeto.

I've been living with my Spec reef tank for a while now and recently tore it down to start the new contest. It's a great tank, but it does need some work to make it reef-ready.

I don't think I'd put a fish in there. How about a fire shrimp, a peppermint shrimp or a cleaner shrimp? Shrimp don't need to swim about. I kept a juvenile sixline in my tank for about two months. It's just not big enough for most fish. Maybe a goby/pistol shrimp combo? Gobys don't swim around nearly as much and mostly hang out in front of their den.

Looks like you're off to a good start. I hope my suggestions help!

Thanks for the info islandoftiki. I was already following your old 2 gallon pico thread. ^.^

As for an update, I put chaeto in the chamber with the submersible fuge light and filter floss on the top.

FTS Finally 3/24/2012

9c1a9140.jpg

Here's a picture of the sideboob with the refugium light on.

173f5ffb.jpg

Hey everyone, I bought a Fluval Spec a couple of months ago that I never used but now I found the perfect time to use it! I am going to keep the stock light and pump but I am taking out the sponge, ceramic rings, and bioballs. I also plugged the chamber hold with a piece of acrylic.

Current Equipment/Livestock List:

Stock 40gph return pump

Stock 31 LED light lamp

Hydor Theo 50 Watt Heater

Chaetomorpha

Submersible Refugium Light

Filter Floss

1 inch sand bed of coral reef sand

3 pounds of cycling dry rock

RO Water from vending machine (0-2 TDS)

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Future Equipment/Livestock List

Chemipure Elite

Purigen

Clown Goby

Zoas/Mushrooms/LPS

WOW! This looks great!! I'm depressed!

lmao!

Hey dweezster, whats crackin'? Nice FTS so far, that's some sexy sideboob...lol...Liking the scape, be awesome to see what takes up residence in that cave in the center. You heading to MAX this weekend in Costa Mesa?

BTW, you joined on my B-day, and I'm pretty much in SFV too...creepy...lol

Archived