Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My PicO Aquarium MR18

bdaniel5278

bdaniel5278

Well just received my MR 18 from PicoAquariums.com, got it set up and took a few pics. This is will be my first nano reef tank, i have only had fowlrs in the past. Sorry for the bad pictures, been trying to work on the camera settings to get it looking right, ill try some more this weekend prob. BTW big thanks to Chris at PicO Aquariums, very good quality tank, and very very good customer service, a great buying experience overall. I will be updating this thread as i start to add some corals. Anyways heres a couple pics...

DSC_0029-1.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0030-2.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bdaniel5278
Well that looks similar! Nice looking tank ;)

Your tank was actually the inspiration for mine, loved the look of yours

Anyone have some advice on what type of coral should i start with? since this is my first reef i was thinking some hardy ones, maybe zoas?? ricordeas??

Your tank was actually the inspiration for mine, loved the look of yours

Anyone have some advice on what type of coral should i start with? since this is my first reef i was thinking some hardy ones, maybe zoas?? ricordeas??

Thanks! softies in general are a good start can be just as beautiful as any sps tank. Zoas, shrooms of all sorts, some photosythetic gorgonians, xenia, etc. Lots of movement and if you forget to do a waterchange, its ok!

bdaniel5278

thanks everyone for the compliments. Going to my lfs store today to check out some frags, they usually have some good stuff there. If i get some today i will of course be adding more pictures (which i love taking, obviously)

bdaniel5278

well picked up a couple frags today, some zoas, polyps, and a mushroom. They just now have opened up after adding them

DSC_0052-1.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

bdaniel5278

anyone have any recommendations on removing frag plugs, or trimming them down, or just leaving them, and should i glue down the corals to the rock or just place them??

anyone have any recommendations on removing frag plugs, or trimming them down, or just leaving them, and should i glue down the corals to the rock or just place them??

Give em a few days to adjust, then use a razor to remove them from frag plugs and glue em in place. If you want to grow them out on the sandbed just leave em there on the frag plug.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey
Give em a few days to adjust, then use a razor to remove them from frag plugs and glue em in place. If you want to grow them out on the sandbed just leave em there on the frag plug.

For stuff like the zoas, you can always trim the plug down with bone cutters http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/produc...ns-wonders.html, if you cannot get them off with a razor.

Also watch yourself with the zoas, they can mess you up if you are not careful...

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/04/palytoxin/

The tank looks great!

wildmanzeke

man, your rock is perfect. You could def do an SPS tank and it would look so bad $%^. But i know where you come from. as i've only been in this hobby for a year and some months. It's tuff. Just make sure you have all the right equipment set up for water quality(RO/DI). That's all it takes. well with a TLC as well.

bdaniel5278
For stuff like the zoas, you can always trim the plug down with bone cutters http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/produc...ns-wonders.html, if you cannot get them off with a razor.

Also watch yourself with the zoas, they can mess you up if you are not careful...

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/04/palytoxin/

The tank looks great!

oh ok thanks for the info, i think i will just make the plug smaller, seems easier. Im bout to order some fragging supplies now.

Yea i read that about the zoas, thats crazy, i will defn be careful when dealing with these guys

man, your rock is perfect. You could def do an SPS tank and it would look so bad $%^. But i know where you come from. as i've only been in this hobby for a year and some months. It's tuff. Just make sure you have all the right equipment set up for water quality(RO/DI). That's all it takes. well with a TLC as well.

yeah i would love some SPS, but this is my first ever reef tank, so im going to stick with some easier care and more forgiving corals for now, im running filter floss, chemi-pure elite, and my chaeto will be here tomorrow for the fuge. Will be doing bout 3 gallon water changes a week is my plan. Oh and i use nothing but RO/DI of course

bdaniel5278

well ordered a few 10$ frags from MrCoral.com should be here this week, ive never ordered coral online, hopefully everything goes well, anyone have any suggestions on acclimating coral after being shipped, the coral i got from my LFS i just temp acclimated and tossed them in, and they have been doing great, is that ok to do with online orders? And of course i will add some pics soon as i get my new frags!!!

What did you get?

I ordered livestock online only once, but it was for a maxi-mini anemone. All my corals and invertebrates have been drip acclimated for 30 min to an hour, just in case the water they came in was a slightly different salinity. I also dip my corals using CoralRX to get rid of potentially unwanted hitchhikers, then put them in quarantine for good measure. At minimum, you should also dip your corals.

bdaniel5278

got some japanese red people eaters, super nova cloves, and other random zoas with no names, and also got 2 free corals through mr. corals march madness deal he has going on, ill see about getting a coral dip, ive heard its a good idea to do it

Archived