SaltCritters.com

Nicks 14g LED Build

NickCage

B) Hello Everyone. Thought Id start my own tank thread since it looked like everyone was having fun, and I spend all my time looking at yours, why not let you see mine. My history w/ reefing is as follows... Like most I started in freshwater, I progressed to Discus, and after a year or so got bored. Sold my 110 gal tank and my 2 mated pairs of discus for a grand total of 600 bucks and headed To my Lfs (House of Tropicals) had to give them props. Here we are 5 years later but with my newest tank and adventure, a 14g biocube.

Some of my Rock and my clowns are from a 10gal I dissasembled and now hope to build a sump or something else in the future. My stock is as follows...

Tank: Biocube 14g modded

Stock PC lights, and 2 stunner strips,

(1) magenta/royal blue (1) 8k/Deep Blue

All lights are under stock cover/Clean look

Zoomed wavemaker 160gph

Filter(modded)

Removed tab in middle

Removed 2/3 bioballs

Installed nano glo Led fuge light

Chamb 2 cheato/caulderpa

Purigen/chemi pure elite

Live Rock, mixed, 20-25lbs

Live Sand, went with black for a diff look

1 lava/tufa stone cave(in for 2 years so its live)

Corals, most are 6months old or less

Acans

3 assorted will soon identify

Mushrooms

1) red rhodactus

1)blue striped disc.

1) red disc.

1) green Ricordea

Green Star Polyps

Frogspawn

Zoas, mixed

Livestock

5 blue hermits

4 turbo and asst snails(soon to be more)

2 hitched in old brittle stars

Porcelain crab when he decides to show hes not dead

2 tru Percula Clowns

Bicolor psuedo or dotty

Green clown goby

https://picasaweb.google.com/10100403794325...feat=directlink

post-72169-1328243797_thumb.jpg

Edited by NickCage

I did too. Posted pics on my thread. I think I got it all! There's a different type of macro algae left. We'll see how that one does. Weird how your's is in patches and mine just covered one large area.

my shrooms, Acan

I did too. Posted pics on my thread. I think I got it all! There's a different type of macro algae left. We'll see how that one does. Weird how your's is in patches and mine just covered one large area.

actually, the two rocks that have it were next to each other, i just moved the small one a few weeks ago, but it covers the big rock. I saw your post. I think i commented. it inspired me. I did the small one, ill do hald the big one in a few days then the rest. I got a lot. but stuff moved so I rearranged a few corals a bit. Just a little.. I like what you did with yours. did you end up smashing the big rock?

post-72169-1328244481_thumb.jpg

Good luck with removing caulerpa's evil twin! I did smash the big rock. It felt good haha. A nice small, flat piece covered in corraline fell of so I used that and a bigger piece for base. Still not sure if I like it but I'm done with it for tonight.

Yeah i quit after the small rock, and now im worried about doing the big one. Tip! If possible, take it out to get it off. I did mine in the tank, and had a massive amonia and nitrite spike. I read it can be released when removing lots of macro, so im glad i checked. I could tell something was up bc my corals looked funny and my female clown was just not herself. All good now after a 20% change. Ill do another before bed i think.

Ps im gonna make this my build thread, other one was in wrong section, but now its moved. Haha. I dont kno how i put it in the led section. And thanks for your help with the pics man. I really appreciate that. I answered ur question on the other page about time its been running, but so ur not flipping back and forth, rock and clowns came from a 10 gal that ran for over a year, but i had no coral in that tank. I got the biocube in november. Added all my rock, new live sand and all 10gals of water, and 4 new gallons. I set up the ten as a qt tank while i cycled(which it really never did) the cube. So the cube has been stocked since xmas, but it all came out of an existing system. Make sense? I can confuse myself sometimes. Lol.

tumblr_lxdbb9snpZ1qjblns.gif

Great picture! I cant help it, its my real name, its not my fault that somebody with the same name makes a lot of bad movies. A few decent ones but mostly all bad.

Can anyone help me to add my tankbuild(this page) to my signature? Please!

Wonderful! My office closed at noon :)

That makes sense about the time. Now that you know how to add photos, I expect more!

I took the rock out to put it all out. Other times when removing it, I only did a little at a time.

haha funny gif. I hate him as an actor.

Yeah i hate his acting too. Can you help me figure out how to make a signature with a pic in it? Like yours and everyone else basically. I tryed. Got the link to my build but the pic? Also, ill be taking new pics tomorrow. The messing around last night has got the acans pissed, and my ric. Everyone else is out tho. I moved the ones that are pissed so its understandable. Im about to play with the stunners and get them a little more centered. Always a project. Haha

Can anyone help me to add my tankbuild(this page) to my signature? Please!

Copy the URL of your build thread (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=293407&pid=3719882&st=0entry3719882). Go into your signature and type in some fancy name for your tank. Highlight that name, then scroll above and hit "add link" which is the first little green button. Click Finish and you should be good to go.

So tonight I worked on getting the macro off the large rock and I got most of it. I intentionally left some in a controlled corner, for filtration, but It looks ok. The rock got a bit bleached under it so its lighter than I wanted, but it will purple up quick. I also did another water change and Cleaned out my filters, replaced a buncha dirty floss and a polish pad, and I also threw out some of the macro from the refugium (maybe too much, I may run to the lfs soon for more, but I want to see how fast a small amount grows. It was just friggin packed full and the inside looked like mush from lack of light and all the deitrus. It was good to get rid of that crap. Shows me the fuge works. Rinsed bio balls. Rinsed Purigen. Moved carbon bag to over the bioballs temp. to catch debris while it settles. I will prob throw that out soon anyway. More pics tomorrow!

Water change done. Everyone was perking up before it anyway, but still did one. I think it was the cold night, got down to 20 outside last night, so that made the house cold. Im still playing with the heater. Have a night temp of 76 but with the lights on it goes up to 79-80 daytimes, but a 4 degree increase is hard to do on this heater. May look for a jager. Or a digital. I dunno. What size does anyone use? I have a 50w aqueon i think. Its almost 2 years old tho. Should it be replaced?

I have an old heater and my tank stays around 80 but it drops down a few degrees on really cold nights and has gone up to 82 before. I need a better heater too. I know I probably shouldn't have such swings but it hasn't seemed to piss anyone off yet.

I have an old heater and my tank stays around 80 but it drops down a few degrees on really cold nights and has gone up to 82 before. I need a better heater too. I know I probably shouldn't have such swings but it hasn't seemed to piss anyone off yet.

Yeah i feel the same way. I hear swings arent good, havnt seen any effects unless thats what happened this am. Everything seems ok now.

All is well with my tank tonight. The mushrooms that looked bad this am from my caulerpa's evil cousin last night caused some problems. But after a water change and a day of light they look great and normal. Im impressed with how fast my frogspawn is growing. Ive noticed substantial growth in it, makes me happy. My clowns have dug the sand out of a corner and under a rock, and made a little home to get out of the flow. I need a better circulation pump. This zoomed wave maker(freebie) gets clogged like everyday and takes up realestate for the little flow it produces. Cant find anything like I see everyone else using around here tho. New pics tomorrow. Acan is happier on the bottom. It looks more red. The orange acan enchinta is happier now too, i hope it encrusts the plug soon, ive got it ready to fill over my cave. Should look cool.

My GSP came off its plug today, wiggled off the glue. So i moved it to a lower spot and ill see how it does.

Im not watching the Super Bowl because the Ravens arent in it because of Ray Finkle. Or Lt. Einhorn, call him what you want. So im working on the tank a bit. I finally removed the stock bulbs outta the hood, since im satisfied that I dont need them, and moved my stunners. Now it looks much better actually, i have better reflection w new placement, awesome shimmer too. Im like glued to the tank with the cool movement all thru the water. Gsp took to the new spot fast. Out full today. Acans like new spots too. Full polyps today, except for the enchinta, too much flow where he is so im thinking of switching his spot. Not sure where tho. Glad he is last to be glued down. Still not happy with it, but its a funny looking coral anyway.

I really like the slope in your rockwork. It looks awesome!!!! :happy:

Thanks! :D it took me a few tries to get it right, but I like it. Id like to find 2-3 1lb pieces but at my LFS your lucky to find anything under 5lbs. So itll probly stay like it is.

Got nice and torched tonight, and after staring at my tank, I decided to take my Acan enchita off the plug and attach it straight to the rock so it fills out. Success!! My blue one is Almost as big as the plug its on so I left it alone, and the reds in the sandbed. Visually much prettyier. I also moved my Ric to an indirect, low flow spot hoping it will finally open all the way. It already seems bigger. My Clowns are both getting their orange back too. I think the "stings" from the new corals had yellowed them some, along with the black spots, but spots are finally fading, bold color is coming back.