Coral:

GSP

Purple Mushroom

Toadstool Leather

Ricordia

Green Zoanthids

Orange Zoanthids

Hello again!

So my first post here was in 2006 with a 20 long tank saltwater tank with crushed coral substrate and stupid plastic rainbow decor. Because of the patience and amazing advice from the people on this forum, I was able to turn it into a pretty decent tank with sand, fish, corals, and live rock. Regardless, I was 13 years old and eventually, the entire tank crashed. No surprise there.

Fast forward to spring of 2011 and I had a wonderful JBJ 12 gallon tank (also a thread on this forum) with clownfish and corals. It was turning out to be lovely, but funds got low (college) and I was given an opportunity to sell it for way more than it was worth (yay! $$$). Also, I don't want to talk about hauling 2 5gallon buckets up stairs because my stupid dorm had no elevator. Stupid dorm. Never again.

A year later, here we are! I live in an apartment now with a steady income. Decided to look at some tanks out of the blue a couple days ago and saw that Petsmart had the Aqueon Evolve4 with LED lights for only $65! After some research, I bought it yesterday and ran to my favorite LFS who gave me some sand out of an opened bag (so I dont buy 20lbs of it), cycled water (from one of his amazing tanks!), and some cycled live rocks to put into my tank for minimal cost. I got lucky!

Even though I have a part-time job with a decent income, I am still in college, so this entire tank will be based around being economic. I'm talkin cheap! So we will see how it turns out!

Everything I bought: Yep, that's it.

d1Ydol.jpg

Loving the size and look. Really modern and everything is hidden in the back chambers.

cmWK8l.jpg

Night-time! You can see the plastic cover in this pic. Nice to have for evaporation.

y2oVZl.jpg

LED's: 2 blue, 18 white. Very bright.

hmYiLl.jpg

Everything except from the sand was from another, larger tank, including the water. I tested for nitrates and they are at about 5ppm right now. I will check again tomorrow. Maybe going to the LFS tomorrow to see what kind of corals they have now-a-days and their prices. Thinking about adding mainly polyps/mushrooms at the moment.

Any thoughts on my sand bed? I only got about 3 pounds of it... but it looks sort of deep to me now that I think about it. It's probably around 1.5-2 inches deep.

Any suggestions on any other corals or fish? I have a few goby species in mind, but anyone have favorites for picos?

I like what you've done and I have buyers remorse after seeing that tank at my local shop today. It's slick! Good luck with everything. I just joined the forum today - I have a 6 gallon Fluval and, while I love the look of it, the small opening is already bugging me.

If ur looking into gobies then u might want to look into a clear cover of some sort. They jump a lot and replacing fish can get expensive. But I think the sandbed, and the aquascape too, look good to me

Thank you Andynco and newb2nano! I could not pass it up... and I know it might seem like an impulse buy, but I felt like I had enough knowledge from my last successful nano to go ahead and get it. Good luck with your Fluval! I really like the looks of those and they seem to becoming more and more popular.

CLR: The tank actually does come with a plastic cover which I have right on it right now to help control evaporation (I don't plan on getting an auto top-off). It has a small hole to feel the fish, but I can always rig it I guess.

I was actually looking into the yashi goby and pistol shrimp pair. 2 problems: Price and space. I have to do some more research, but I don't think my 4 gallon will not be big enough for them. :(

Just went to the LFS and got my first coral! Its a zoa frag of 3 different types. About 13 heads ($12). Also got 2 Astria snails and 1 Nassarius snail.

lTa1Pl.jpg

7sl9xl.jpg

Just went to a local hobbiest's apartment and he sold me a couple of frags, all only $5! Joining the local forum which is exciting. I got:

1 Ricordia

1 Purple Mushroom

1 GSP rock

1 Toadstool Leather

Will post pics tomorrow when they open up :)

Here's the new corals I got from a local reef-lover! The mushroom is mad at me since I tried supergluing it to a rock... and I failed, so I am leaving it be. The snail walked over my leather coral and now none of it will open... other than that, corals are good! A polyp of my zoas fell off, so i put it on the top right. Its so cute!!!

QKCRDl.jpg

Updated FTS (1-23-2012)

vHampl.jpg

Archived