Cultivated Reef

42w LED Fluval Edge 12G v2 light over 6G Edge

xenon

I purchased a Fluval edge 12G and 6G.

The 12G will be freshwater and the 6G will be saltwater. I swapped the lighting fixtures so now I have the new 42w LED fixture on my 6G Edge.

If you ask anyone, 42W of LED lighting above a 6G is a little nuts but not all LED lights are equal. I am sure the Aqua Illumination Nano fixture @ 35w would blow this light away. The intensity is just not comparable.

I would like to know what I would be able to keep under this light. Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks!

42watt led is not on the 12g edge stock. It's 42 bulbs. And they're not even half watt led's. It's comparable to the older halogen setup, but not much brighter if at all.

42w of LED's would be insane over such a small amount of area.

42watt led is not on the 12g edge stock. It's 42 bulbs. And they're not even half watt led's. It's comparable to the older halogen setup, but not much brighter if at all.

42w of LED's would be insane over such a small amount of area.

Where did you get that info from?

Yes, there are 42 LED bulbs but Fluval rates them @ 1w each.

wrong.

21 led's on the 6 gallon and the 6gal is 3 watt. That is fact, i have it sitting in front of me times 2. The 12 just has double the same LED's. So I would have to say the 12 is 6watt.

Further

The power supply on a 45watt light would look similar to a laptop power supply, and this is not the case on these units.

And additionally, seriously, look at the light. Do you know how insanely bright 40 watts of LED's would crammed into that space? Plus, where is the heatsink and fan setup in the 12g hood? There isn't any, because it's only 6 watts.

(edit, my =me. )

Dont be confused with the rating of the LED's maximum power output and the power output they are being run at in a given light.

I have a light with 5 3watt led's. My light isn't currently running at 15watts. 15 watts is too bright for my liking and would require a fan. I run it at roughly half that. The same is true of most light manufacturers and hobbyists. Assuming there is no dimmer, most people wont overkill the power supply more than they have to (efficiency goes down plus costs go up needlessly). So I would just look at your power supply and see what it's rated for, the light can't be more wattage than that. Though, on your edge, it should tell you straight on the swing arm how many watts it is, since the power block is located there.

I dont know where you saw 42watt light advertised. I never saw any such ad. Even the drop in replacement lights for the old style Edge are advertised as 3.6 watt total.

I don't know where I saw it. It might have been on the box but I don't have it anymore.

Oh well, all the more reason to upgrade! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
dannahlea2001

I have an original Fluval 6 gallon with upgraded MR16 lights. It's time to start the tank over and I'm contemplating a purchase of the 42 LED lamp (12 gallon replacement part) and using it as my light source. Will that be enough light to grow nice freshwater plants since it was originally designed for a tank twice the size? My current setup only grows low-light plants and I'm tired of the bulbs falling into the water!

Also the LED bulbs I've found are 1000K not the 7600 that is more idea for plants.

Archived