Top Shelf Aquatics

Need advice on building a nano skimmer

Adrian_

After searching without result for a skimmer with a footprint of 9x6cm and capable of working with the cup just 3cm outside the water, I figured out that the only solution to my problem is to build the skimmer myself.

However, I have no clue what parameters should I take into account in order to get this skimmer to work. The pumps debit is obviously one of them, but I presume that the difference in diameter between the skimmer's tubes also plays a major part.

Can someone with experience in DIY skimmers help me with some advice? Thanks in advance :)

thadscottmoore
After searching without result for a skimmer with a footprint of 9x6cm and capable of working with the cup just 3cm outside the water, I figured out that the only solution to my problem is to build the skimmer myself.

However, I have no clue what parameters should I take into account in order to get this skimmer to work. The pumps debit is obviously one of them, but I presume that the difference in diameter between the skimmer's tubes also plays a major part.

Can someone with experience in DIY skimmers help me with some advice? Thanks in advance :)

sounds like a question for Glazer to answer! check out his threads for his pico skimmers....

P1010303.jpg

Glazer link in classifieds

Thanks for the link. :) The problem is that I'm half a world away from Chicago, but hopefully Glazer can help me with some advice.

Btw, I forgot to mention in the op, I'm looking to build a pump skimmer, not an airstone one.

I think skimmers are great for situations where you are way overstocked and you have a decent (not nano) sized tank. I dont think smaller tanks will produce enough protein to have a skimmer function unless you are doing something horribly wrong. Have your water tests shown that a skimmer is even needed?

Not saying you can't overstock it. It serves a purpose on big tanks where you aren't doing 30+% water changes every week or so, but on a nano where 1 gallon can be as much as 30%.... seems pretty pointless.

It'd be interesting to see some measurable benefit to a sub 20 gallon tank without and then with a nano-skimmer.

that being said. I built one for my previous tank. My suggestion is that since these tanks are so small, it's not necessary to run a skimmer 24/7 like the bigger guys. Use a timer and run it when you're sleeping only. After the initial removal of protein, your tank most likely wont produce enough to sustain bubbles for at least a day so, this way your skimmer is working only when the tank has likely something for it to work on, and not just wasting time making bubbles that pop the majority of the day.

Thanks for the sufgestion, that's a good idea.

As for a gallon being 30%, I believe you're rather thinking about a pico tank. The nano for which I try to build a skimmer has 65 liters, so roughly 17 gallons.

a 3 gal tank is only 3 gal of water if nothing is in it. a 5-6 gal tank can easily get a couple gallons displaced by live rock and sand, and end up with 4 gallons or less in it. True though, a 1-3 gal empty tank would be pico and 4-20 would be nano. My only suggestion if you're really eager to drop the cash on a skimmer is to only run it when you're sleeping since it almost definitely wont be needed to be run constantly as it wont pick up enough protein and they're noisy and annoying on an otherwise silent/quiet setup.

Archived