A Floating 12L

68sting

Picture159.jpg

Picture162.jpg

Picture318.jpg

Picture163.jpg

Picture165.jpg

Equipment:

Tank- GLA 12 gallon rimless/ drilled with two 1/2"returns and a 1" drain. Overflow box is diy and is based on glass-holes design.

Eshopp RS 100 sump

Skimmer- Aqua-C Urchin

MP10

Maxi-Jet 1800 return pump

ATO- Tunze Osmolator

Milwakee PH monitor

BoostLED 4RB and 1CW

22gal totes for RO/DI and another for mixing salt.

Begining of Build Thread

I have/had a 215 in wall and seemed to lose interest over the last year. So I started selling everything off. I then decided I didn't want to be completely out. So I started searching for a nano and found a 12L for sale. Another local reefer mounted a nano on the wall awhile back and I always thought it was cool. So I picked up some iron plate and went to work. I just got the tank mounted tonight and fresh water running through it.

Picture055.jpg

Picture057.jpg

Heres the empty 215 with the new nano. The 215 is going away and getting turned into a bar.

Picture058.jpg

I have an Eshopp 100 sump, Aqua C skimmer,mp10 and I'm still deciding on lights. I want to do three pendants like this with some Boost leds but I'm not sure that will be enough. What do you think? I'm also going to miss running just the blue leds. I would probably be better served with a single hood design but I really want the pendants.

1_light_mini_pendant_1961-243.jpg

I'm not sure what I want to do for corals or fish yet. More details to come.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell Oprah and bill gates I said hi.

As for the lighting, te LEDs should be good. I dot see why that wouldn't be enoug, maybe even too much? Someone else would be better off answering that than me.

Tell Oprah and bill gates I said hi.

As for the lighting, te LEDs should be good. I dot see why that wouldn't be enoug, maybe even too much? Someone else would be better off answering that than me.

lol It took me three years to finish my basement. I doubt Oprah or Bill have to finish there own basements.

I was over to another members house today(Gabe) and playing with his boost leds. It seemed like you lose a lot of brightness when I got the lights high enough to get the spread I need. With my tank being shallower it still might be ok though.

Does that door swing towards the tank?

Yes it does but it opens more than enough the few times a year I need to open it.

Wow...really nice. I have a long tank l`d like to wall mount as well. Could you post some details on your shelf for it? What's the plumbing like?

I got in a hurry and didn't take any pictures before I got it up but here are a few pictures of it installed. I used a 3/8" plate and beveled the edge. Its over kill but the guy at the steel shop thought that's what I should go with. I then built the brackets with 2.5" x 3/8" strap. The plate bolts to the straps and the straps are bolted to the studs. There's a bar that runs across the back of the studs and bolts that run through it connecting to the straps. The bolts adjust the tilt of the shelf.

Picture064.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Picture065.jpg

I'm really struggling on lighting. I want to go with the three pendant lights like pictured above. I'm down to the Boostled or led wholesaler dimmable leds. I used to run just the blue leds over my 215 almost 1/2 the time and my lps popped. I know the boostleds are a good product but I like the idea I can turn the whites off if I want to on the dimmable lights. Any thoughts? Here's a shot of my old tank with just the blue leds on and I loved the colors.

p1030774_edited.jpg

Another idea I'm pondering is doing a similar water change idea to this. I was thinking of having a pump kick a few gallons of fresh salt water in one end of the sump each week. Then have a bulk head on the other end that would overflow and dump into to my drain. It would be an automated water change system. Whats your thoughts on this.

DSC_0038.jpg

Mounted my Mp10 to the back of the tank tonight. I won't have any wires visible for very clean look. Still trying to figure out what lights to run. I'm also deciding if I go bare bottom or not. Going over to Calvin415's tomorrow to check out his turf scrubber. I'm going to copy that for sure.

Picture072.jpg

Picture073.jpg

I'm hoping it won't be to much longer. I was over to Calvin415's yesterday to check out his set up. I'm having him weld up an algae turf scrubber for me. Ive been thinking about a pair of AI Nano's for lighting and make some pendants myself or just stick with the original pendants and Boostleds. What would cover better two Nanos or three Boostled par 30's?

I'm hoping it won't be to much longer. I was over to Calvin415's yesterday to check out his set up. I'm having him weld up an algae turf scrubber for me. Ive been thinking about a pair of AI Nano's for lighting and make some pendants myself or just stick with the original pendants and Boostleds. What would cover better two Nanos or three Boostled par 30's?

Hmmm at 10" above water line the nano would have a spread of 15" x 15" so 2 of those could do it.

The sol at 10" is 22" coverage. So could be nice as well. You could hide all the wires and the controller threw the wall!

I just ordered the ai sol and controller... cant wait till it gets here!

I would love a pair of nanos. I'm just not sure I can justify the price and then have to design a traditional style pendant surround to match the basement. Do you need the controller if you have RKL?

That's a really cool set up. Usually people have in wall tanks, but yours looks like it is floating. I would make sure that door stays locked.

Thanks for the nice comments. I finally put some salt water in and aquascaped yesterday. I also ordered my Boostled's while they're on sale. I'm planning my alga turf scrubber today. There's a lot more to that than I realized.

I really like this idea. Only problem with it is that it looks like I am seeing unpainted steel. I've made a tank stand from Grade 36 and grade 50 steel, which is what you appear to have. Just being under a 10g marine tank caused it to rust over really bad.

Archived