Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rod's 40G Soft Coral Reef Aquarium

razarmi

My 40g breeder reef aquarium. The tank is a little over 2 years old. SPS seems to be all the craze today, but I really enjoy the beautiful shapes and movements of soft corals. I've found that the feeding requirements, flow rates, and water conditions for soft corals, clams and LPS corals complement each other nicely. You can find a hires photo here.

reef-1.jpg

Close up of the Goniopora, Green Nepthea and Sarcophyton.

reef-2.jpg

My Pygmy Waspfish (Hypodytes rubripinnis). One of my favorite fish for the nano-reef. Hardy and small, the Pygmy Waspfish is a beautiful and interesting reef resident. I've had mine for close to two years.

waspfish.jpg

Here's a photo of the tank when I first set it up, two years ago.

reef-new.jpg

My main source of filtration is a GAC reactor and Chaeto. I do not run a filter sock and the protein skimmer stays off most of the time.

sump.jpg

Here is more info on the tank. Feel free to contact me if you have questions/comments rodney@azarmi.com

- 40g breeder (36x18x16)

- 4x36" Current T5 fixture with ATI Blue Plus, GE 6500 and ATI Aquablue bulbs

- Brightwell two-part, 200ml per week and small amounts of Iron and Iodine supplements

- 5 gallon water change per week with Tropic Marin salt

- 15 gallon sump. No sock (got tired of cleaning it), Bubble-Magus NAC6 skimmer (removed skimmer), small GAC reactor and ball of chaeto with LED light. I do not run the skimmer often.

- Tunze Silence return pump . I run the return pump at the lowest setting, about 250 gph. I find a slow flow through my sump improves skimmer production and saves energy.

- (2) Koralia nano 400 in tank for flow.

- I feed my fish and corals twice a day. I feed PE mysis, cyclop-eeze and brine shrimp. I usually turn my return pump off for an hour and let the food circulate through my tank to feed my corals. I target feed PE mysis to my larger LPS corals. The Xenia are the only corals in the tank that show no feeding behavior. I suspect their dependance on dissolved nutrients makes them sensitive to heavy filtration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This reef has some fantastic looking softies in it. The aquascape leaves something to be desired, but this reef is a breath of fresh air in the SPS dominated world of reefing.

Good on you mate!

• 3 weeks later...
Shallow~Reef

Absolutely stunning! See you don't need sps to make a nice reef lol.

How did you get the gsp to grow on the floor like that? Is it growing on a mat?

Congratulations on Tank of the Month. I enjoyed reading your write up and I agree with others, this is a beautiful tank!

Archived