inTank Media Baskets

New to the hobby 50g Rimless

Lokko21

Hi everyone I just got my 50g rimless tank, but I need some help, I'll be posting some pictures about the help I need with.

1-The drain overflow, I don't know how tall should it go..?? Should the water cover the whole piping..??

2-There's a little hose coming from the bottom of the skimmer, this one should it go connected to something or just shooting up..??

3-How do I mix the water with the salt..?? I don't have a big container to mix the whole 50 gallons, should I just fill the tank and then dump the salt and let it cycle..??

4-Sand, when should I put the sand in, I have 40 pounds of live sand it goes before or after the water..??

5-Rocks, I didn't buy live rock, I bought 25 pounds of dry rock (forgot the name will check) how should I get it ready..?? Buckets with water and salt and a pump and a heater for few days..??

That's some of the questions I can remember now, I hope and somebody can help me and guide me, I'll post pictures in a few.. Thanks for looking.

3- Mix about 40 (or less) gallons of water+salt in the tank. Remember you need to consider the volume of your sand and rock.

4- Since you will be mixing saltwater, it's best to add the sand after mixing.

5- You should really consider getting a few pounds of live rock to seed the dry rock. Live sand, especially bagged, may not be nough in terms of diversity.

3- Mix about 40 (or less) gallons of water+salt in the tank. Remember you need to consider the volume of your sand and rock.

4- Since you will be mixing saltwater, it's best to add the sand after mixing.

5- You should really consider getting a few pounds of live rock to seed the dry rock. Live sand, especially bagged, may not be nough in terms of diversity.

Thank you for the reply.

Can I put some live rock in the sump/refugium or it has to be in the tank...???

Thanks.

2- Most of the time, the hose coming from the skimmer goes to a silencer which is a small acrylic cylinder to prevent noise from the air sucked by the pump to mix water with air. Don't know if that model comes with it. If it doesn't have it, it should not affect the performance anyway, just reduce sound.

Sorry I can't help with #1. I'm guessing by the looks it may be a CADlights tank? If the provided plumbing is like that it should be just installed and worry-free from figuring where the water level should be. My best bet is that the water should go over the holes and the holes will determine the water level. Does this drain tube goes inside an overflow box? If so, the water level in the tank will be the same always thanks to the overflow. no need to worry about the water level behind it at least for now.

Give us more info about the tank and probably more people can help.

2- Most of the time, the hose coming from the skimmer goes to a silencer which is a small acrylic cylinder to prevent noise from the air sucked by the pump to mix water with air. Don't know if that model comes with it. If it doesn't have it, it should not affect the performance anyway, just reduce sound.

Sorry I can't help with #1. I'm guessing by the looks it may be a CADlights tank? If the provided plumbing is like that it should be just installed and worry-free from figuring where the water level should be. My best bet is that the water should go over the holes and the holes will determine the water level. Does this drain tube goes inside an overflow box? If so, the water level in the tank will be the same always thanks to the overflow. no need to worry about the water level behind it at least for now.

Give us more info about the tank and probably more people can help.

Cool so I don't have to worry about #2, this is my thank, and the other photos are the drain that I want to do.

And I'm trying to do this supposed to help to reduce noise,

Should I leave those blue thingies for extra filtration or not needed..??

Should I put the live sand and dry and live rock before the water..??

Should I start skimming since day one, lets say when I put my mixed water or until fish or coral...??

Looking good. Nice plumbing! If you're willing to take good care of those Blue pads, you can leave them there. It may help to remove micro bubbles from the skimmer. You can put in the rocks before water. I'd put the sand after the water but you can put it before as well. Just try not to throw in the water right over it to prevent a lot of cloudiness. It will happen anyways tho. You can start skimming from first day. You need to wait for the rocks to make its cycle so you don't need to wait for fish to start skimming

Looking good. Nice plumbing! If you're willing to take good care of those Blue pads, you can leave them there. It may help to remove micro bubbles from the skimmer. You can put in the rocks before water. I'd put the sand after the water but you can put it before as well. Just try not to throw in the water right over it to prevent a lot of cloudiness. It will happen anyways tho. You can start skimming from first day. You need to wait for the rocks to make its cycle so you don't need to wait for fish to start skimming

Thank you so much for your help, I can't wait to fill my tank, only few more days, just waiting to mix it good, how many days should I mix the water before I fill the tank with the water..??

Totally up to you.. a deep sand bed, you don't want to disturb once it's developed.. live rock, if you have to move things around in there a bit, just move it.

Totally up to you.. a deep sand bed, you don't want to disturb once it's developed.. live rock, if you have to move things around in there a bit, just move it.

Cool thanks, live rock only then. Thank you.

when mixing water, I like to wait 24 hours before using it but that's just for a water change were you can make sudden changes to prevent stress in the inhabitants. Since you're starting you can pretty much mix it and use it.

Looks good. I like less rock, but that's me. You can always change things around.. I always change things when I get new coral for light and flow reasons.. or just feel like taking rock in/out to see how it looks with less/more

Looks good. I like less rock, but that's me. You can always change things around.. I always change things when I get new coral for light and flow reasons.. or just feel like taking rock in/out to see how it looks with less/more

That's exactly what I told my wife, but she likes it, I don't want to contradict her... Lol.

What do you suggest to put in there to cycle faster..??

I have like 30 pounds of live rock, like 50 of live sand that I bought from a guy's tank, I mixed my water for a week..

I test my water for pH, amonia and the nitrates and everything looks good compared to the color chart in the test kit,.

My question is.. Is it ready to put a fish or coral..?? Or I need to check something else.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like the rock layout, actually. Lots of caves and curves.

That is your diatom bloom and a really good sign. Are you testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Once the first two are zero, you should add your CUC.

I quite like the rock layout, actually. Lots of caves and curves.

That is your diatom bloom and a really good sign. Are you testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Once the first two are zero, you should add your CUC.

Thanks man that was the idea caves and curves for the fish to play, what should I get as CUC..??

As of today:

pH 8.4

amonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate around 10

Most would recommend whatever www.reefcleaners.org would recommend! But a few snails and hermits would be the normal starting point.

Today's questions "Reactors" should I run them like carbon or phosphate..?? Is it recommended for a new tank..?? If yes which one and where should I put the pump from the reactor and the outlet hose in the sump..?? Pump in refugium and outlet hose in the return pump chamber..??

Thanks.

Archived