Innovative Marine Aquariums

Expert plumbers, Help me save some money!

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello all,

The next step in my build is to drill the tank and install all the plumbing. I'm making a Herbie and return to and from the sump. I was pricing everything out for a BRS order. It's amazing how fast all these parts add up. Here's my layout so far. The first pic has images of each part so I can visualize how everything fits together. The second image is the same but with descriptions of everything. The third is a list of components with prices. Maybe I'm being obtuse with this design. Are they any ways to cut corners? Is there anything you think I'm missing? The only items I think may be optional are the loc-line 6 piece extension and the clamps. What do you think?

I decided to upload these images because they are large and the words and images are small.

post-47492-1322012317_thumb.jpgpost-47492-1322012345_thumb.jpg post-47492-1322012329_thumb.png

Thanks in advance! Your help and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Deleted User 6

If everything is going in a straight light, why are you using vinyl tubing? just go with regular sch 40 pvc.

just cut out the hose barbs and clamps. booyah.

Mr. Microscope
If everything is going in a straight light, why are you using vinyl tubing? just go with regular sch 40 pvc.

just cut out the hose barbs and clamps. booyah.

Well, I was thinking about trying to keep everything versatile because I'm not sure how everything is going to line up and I didn't want to have to worry about getting elbows/angles/etc., but going all PVC would definitely save some money. That would get rid of the tubing, clamp, and insert fitting costs. Thanks for the suggestion. It would also help me get more use out of the stupid Weld On. I have to get that and only need it for the pipe to pipe fitting in two spots right now.

....wow, Sch 40 is a lot cheaper..hmm

Ouch.

$30 for that gate valve.

Yeah, right!? Seems like something that should be like $5. There is a cheaper one on BRS, but it's slip. I was hoping to use threaded stuff.

Archived