SaltCritters.com

Slosht's 2g Epic Pico

slosht

Shots of the tank, just put water in it around 10:30 tonight. Used some WC water and some from my culture station so it is a bit murky :P

Livestock/Liverock

Still at about 5 hermit crabs.

Added 2 new pieces of LR to go with the initial chunk.

Added 2 sponges, 1 red ball and 1 yellow frilly

Added a few polyps of some unknown blue w/yellow center zoanthids on a scallop shell.

Added 1 small pencil urchin

Added 2 (for now) saddled blennies. They are not getting along so I might remove 1 of them.

Added 1 orange limpet (this thing is awesome)

Added 1 leaf of sea lettuce

Equipment

All original equipment except the black rubber o-ring for the intake tube, not sure where that flung off too.

I did add a Par38 a few months ago.

No more addons now, unless you count an extra sponge in the filter.

2011-11-28_22-25-10_544.jpg

2011-11-28_22-25-32_994.jpg

2011-11-28_22-26-00_924.jpg

Here is a cruddy Droid X shot of Kwame Kat sleeping on the 12g nano cube.

2011-11-02_22-45-52_490-1-2.jpg

You've got one chubby kitty, time for a diet. Maybe I will put a stomatopod in my pico to teach your kitty a lesson...

Sure he is, that's why his belly is touching the floor? He's like Buddha Kitty.

He is a LONG cat, when he sits the extra length has no where to go.

:angry:

HaHa

• 1 month later...

I was going to wait a few days for the new additions to arrive but better be safe and get these pics up in the contest thread for December or forget and be sorry.

1st thing is that the water is no longer nanochloropsis green, YAY!

I added a Hydor heater which you can see under the rock if you look closely and also a JW magnet thermometer.

I've got a supplemental light on the way and a tank decoration as well. I'm still deciding on the in tank inhabitants but I've got my choices narrowed down to a few options.

post-70031-1325049164_thumb.jpg

post-70031-1325049175_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the items I needed to hang the par38 and took a few cell phone pics.

A few clickable thumbnails.

FTS shot with just the 16k's on

th_IMG_20120106_212537.jpg

FTS shot with the par38 just visible to show the distance.

th_IMG_20120106_212551.jpg

FTS with just the 450 nm's on.

th_IMG_20120106_212614.jpg

The foreman inspecting my work from the top of the door.

th_SGN1018.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My pico started making a vibration noise from the filter which ended up being the filter lid vibrating. What a terrible racket it made until I pulled the lid off and lightly set it back on instead of fitting it snugly down.

• 1 month later...

Oopsie, had a bit of a snafu. My pico started to have some algae bloom so I did a water change and accidentally used some water meant for my pod culturing. So now, i've got some greenwater. All 5 ish hermits are still alive and kicking it. I've not added any new additions since last month. I will throw some diatoms and pods in there tomorrow to take care of the algae.

Clickable thumbnails

FES

th_IMG_20120228_235113.jpg

FTS

th_IMG_20120228_235023.jpg

How did you manage that? Did you just not look when you siphoned it in?

By not looking. I had 2 taco bell cups of water, 1 had just plain SW for the pico and the 2nd with SW and live algae in it. Cup #2 got dumped in the pico.

Lol must say that made me chuckle, how quick will the pods clear that up?

I'm not sure how long it will take. I put some diatoms and pods in there last week and have been putting in rotifers every morning. I might just turn the light off if I don't see an improvement by Friday.

th_IMG_20120305_224226.jpg

Wow - algae slurpee!

All of the various lids on my pico make horrible noises - and just when I think I've got it all worked out, something changes slightly and it all starts vibrating all over again. I've taken to shoving small pieces of filter floss into the gaps that cause the most racket.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the anti-rattle suggestions. I dialed down the flow a bit and all the rattling is gone for now.

Also, no more greenwater!

th_IMG_20120330_012139.jpg

I've also updated the first post with all the new additions, some pictured some not.

Archived