inTank Media Baskets

Jumping on the Pico Train!

rbokros

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got my tank in (finally)!!!!

Here are a couple pics....

6350853529_4dfcf4b640.jpg

I decided to paint the back and bottom black. I also painted the filter housing and the intake tube. It turned out great!!!

Ready to paint!

6351600128_0e58ba690a.jpg

Dummy me forgot to take a picture of the tank after paint without water or rock....dang!!

Water in and cycling!!

6350856875_bd48688ec1.jpg

6350857215_d712f4a20b.jpg

My cycle is going good (lots of ammonia, get that bioload baby!!)...after 2 days my params look like this:

Ph - 8.1

Calc - 420

Alk - 9.2

Mag - 1280

Nitrite - 10

Nitrate - 10

Ammo - 8.0

I am doing tests every other day...

I have already ordered some nice zoas and a few softies that are waiting in my other tank for levels to stabilize.

:welcome: Looking good, I really like that black sand, kinda wish I would have gone with it. Did you paint your filter too????
:welcome: Looking good, I really like that black sand, kinda wish I would have gone with it. Did you paint your filter too????

I decided to paint the back and bottom black. I also painted the filter housing and the intake tube. It turned out great!!!

Ammonia levels decreasing fast!!! Ready for this cycle to end....I have good plans for this little guy!!

My girls want to put a little clown goby in it...any other suggestions on tiny fish with personality that would survive in a pico?

• 2 months later...

Just posted to the Jan thread, so I thought I should take a few extra pics to post here as well. Things have been pretty steady going. My Zoas are doing good, nice polyp extension through the day. I am looking at adding a supplemental light of some sort to give me a bit more blue...the zoas just don't POP like they do in my bigger tank. Here are a few pics:

6799244459_90c961715a.jpg

6799246537_588d760fc1.jpg

6799248583_f5aebce259.jpg

6799255957_f723ab522a.jpg

6799252321_de974aa056.jpg

I still want to put in a coral goby or something to add a little movement to the tank....but I haven't gotten around to that. I replaced the carbon cartridge and split a half unit of ChemiPure (I know, I know, the packaging says not to, but I did...the whole thing was way to big for that little HOB filter). Since adding the ChemiPure, my params are practically perfect...although I have virtually NO bioload, but it seems promising (and maybe just maybe less water changes needed). I have a few more small colonies of zoas in my bigger tank that I will transfer soon...I can't wait for them to really start to fill in!!

Your tank is progressing along really well! The rock-work makes it look much larger than 2 gal. I think you should add the goby, I love having a goby in mine. I am pretty conservative with feeding, as to not create an over-abundance of nutrients. I'll be following!

• 2 months later...

I haven't updated in a while, so.....here ya go.

FTS (March 31st):

6887746798_6e55701634.jpg

(The lights were already ff for the day, and I had to turn them back on to get the pic, that's why not many of the zoas are open...sorry!)

I'll add a few more as soon as I get my macro lens in the mail :-)

I am constantly on the hunt for a variety of zoas (my 'theme' if you will) to add to the pico....so as I add, I will try to update the page. Thanks for checking it out!!

Very nice, I love the black..... Where did you pick up the carbon cartridge replacements??

I am not using the 'stock' carbon cartridges....I am using chemipure (yes, I split a small one into 2, which I know you are not supposed to do...but hey, it's worked so far). I also have thought maybe I would switch to using regular carbon and purigen in small amounts....but we'll see once the chemipure runs out. Without a fish, there isn't much as far as a bioload on the system, so minimal chemical-filtration is needed...plus water changes every week take good care of water quality. I may add the goby still after all, which will cause me to watch it more carefully.

Thats looking real good there. Thanks for the update its great to see people actually trying to go long term with these tanks and not wasting any time.

Archived