inTank Media Baskets

Kali's Super Simple Pico

Kali_D

This thread is to chronicle my tank entry in the Unofficial Walmart Pico Contest

Setup:

Tom Deco 2 Kit

includes:

• 2 gallon acrylic tank with lid
  • Rapids Mini Power Filter
  • 13 watt 50/50 Compact Fluorescent Perch Lamp

2lbs aragonite + a tablespoon or so live sand from existing tank

a few pieces of rubble rock

1 white sterilite lid

Live Rock

Critters and Corals

zoanthids

"dark" favia

"light" favia

"purple" favia

green favia

coral skeleton with Corynactis

3 Astrea snail(s)

2 1 Cerith snail(s)

6 Dwarf Cerith snail(s)

Green mini-maxi (November addition)

Pink/Green mini-maxi (January)

Mud brown (not green) mini-maxi (March)

Lavender/Blue mini-maxi (March)

Orange mini-maxi (March)

Elysia clarki (lettuce nudibranch)

Halimeda incrassata

Penicillus dumetosus

Planned Maintenance Routine

• Photoperiod 8-12 hours
  • 1-2 gallon weekly water changes

Goal

• Keep it growing and going for a year +
  • Improve tank photography
  • Not drop the light in the tank
  • Keep the entire build under $100 or some other arbitrary number

i-XcxVVc5-M.jpg

October 12, 2012

i-L9PrkSz-S.jpg

June 20, 2012

i-q5nrCxX-S.jpg

May 2012

i-Hk2w8QG-S.jpg

April 2012

i-cfjgtwP-S.jpg

March 15, 2012

i-DHfMHKs-S.jpg

February 27, 2012

i-7MdKhj5-S.jpg

January

i-Ljz97jR-S.jpg

December

i-ggr3LCL-S.jpg

November 2011

i-p6S5qBr-S.jpg

October 22, 2011

Rock work has always been a source of nail biting, teeth grinding, much grumbling and even more pacing. Never seems quite right, it should be more "not like this", AHH! It looked better 2 hours ago!

I hate sticking my hands (or arm) in the tank again, and again, and again so I did the following to help save some sanity and keep the floor, table and stand dry:

i-Vk2ftVJ-S.jpg

i-Q3fS8Kc-S.jpg

And here's The One. I see a face, do you see it?

i-bGxL4q3-S.jpg

After carefully laying it on the paper, and then in full denial trying to wedge it in the tank I gave up and went with:

i-Nj8HrF3-S.jpg

Then finally:

i-XVCwnvP-S.jpg

It doesn't come across in the photo well, but that rock was pulled slightly to the left in the last picture.

I like your ninjas :ninja:

"And if you tear off their masks they'll be smiling" ;)

My rock is growing something red and something else that is green. I'm not too worried about the red stuff, but the three green tails have me worried. I may need to dump this rock and get something that isn't "live".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Nothing has been added this month. Just sitting back and watching the mini-maxi walk around its rock. The favias (?) are no worse for having the mini-maxi laying on them for a few days. Not sure what else to add. I've been keeping my eyes out for some zoanthids or small favia frags, or maybe another mini-maxi, but so far nothing local has jumped in the tank.

i-Ljz97jR-S.jpg

MiniMaxi

i-3MxzbMs-S.jpg

Over the weekend I stopped by my favorite LFS and a small green favia and pink center, green edged mini maxi followed me home. The two mini maxi's have similar colors but reversed. ie. pink center v. green center

I also added a BoostLED par30 bulb and will need to figure out how to slide that into the FES picture. The new bulb is only on for a few hours a day.

• 5 weeks later...

I enjoyed looking at your January FTS. Did you place your maxi-mini in that container because it was stinging other corals? What else do you have planned? A fish? Looks great so far.

• 4 weeks later...
I enjoyed looking at your January FTS. Did you place your maxi-mini in that container because it was stinging other corals? What else do you have planned? A fish? Looks great so far.

Thanks (and sorry for the lack of reply)

Both maxi-mini's came in the flower pots. It is how the LFS keeps them in their sales tank. It makes getting them out really easy.

The first maxi-mini walked out on its own, this second one REFUSES to leave its safe little nest! I've tipped the pot this way and that, and back around again. It still won't leave. I've posted eviction notices and the little critter refuses to comply! :P

I have no plans for fish, but I've gone back and forth between an anemone shrimp and a sexy shrimp. Haven't decided, the LFS has had sexy shrimp in stock for the past few weeks...

Here is the reason the rock now tilts precariously to the right, when looking at the tank from the front.

i-j8pXdGP-M.jpg

I've moved the rock "upright" several times. I've also tried to prop it up using rocks and the flower pot. The maxi-mini, pushing the rock over since it has anchored itself to the bottom of the rock.

I added a new coral within the past week from the "big" tank. I suspected it was bleaching due to chemical warfare and tossed it in. Within 12 hours the bleaching had started to reverse. A week later all but one spot is colored back up. I guess it gets to stay in this tank until something bad happens to it here.

Sweet, luv the maxi. How in the world are you keeping it so clean. I'm having a bad time with algae in both my contest tanks.

Sweet, luv the maxi. How in the world are you keeping it so clean. I'm having a bad time with algae in both my contest tanks.

heck if I know! I have a total of 3 snails in there doing a dandy job??? (2 turbos to replace the astrea and one cerith) The light that came with the tank is on for 10 hours(?) and the LED is on sporadically during the week for 3-8 hours at a time.

I have left the algae in the tube and filter alone, so that might explain *some* of the cleanliness. I do have some red macro algae and some bubble algae growing on the rock.

I'm not sure if it would be useful to outline everything I do for maintenance because I'm really not doing much.

• 3 weeks later...

This month I added a lettuce nudibranch

i-qwHN3WG-Th.jpg

and subtracted the snails :(

I burned half of the loose favia colony, by accident, and the zoanthids sprouted (??) a third on their tiny rock.

Added a couple new maxi-mini's yesterday (took the pictures last week) and they are settling in now. I am NOT a fan of UPS shipping, much prefer FedEx for next day and live animal. But corals and SW critters are a lot hardier then we give them credit for! One of the mini-maxi (or is that maxi-mini?) smelled like rotting death when I opened the bag. It turned its guts inside out at least 3 times while acclimating, and after 12 hours in the tank it looks the best....go figure.

My favorite side of the tank:

i-pK8kdkX-S.jpg

LED lights on:

i-C4qgtBS-S.jpg

The favia on the left hand side is the one that isn't whole any longer :(

i-jfRVXJW-S.jpg

Tailspot that I was going to drop in this tank, but after seeing it nip on various corals including lobophylia its hiding in, figured it wasn't worth the risk to the anemones.

i-nBKMQBj-S.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Aprils been interesting.

I was able to "nudge" the flower pot maxi-mini out of its pot and it is now settled under a favia on the right side of the tank. <_< The new maxi-minis seem to have settled in and found their happy spot. The orange one had a bit of a rough start. It has moved and expelled its guts a few more times within the first week it was added. It is currently attached to the bottom of the tank under the rock.

I added some Halimeda and Penicillus from reefcleaners for the little slug. Last but not least added a thor amboinensis (sexy shrimp) and a blue porcelain crab. I wanted a pair of periclimenes but they are a bit more difficult to find, locally right now.

One favia(the best grower so far) was moved out of harms way, since the orange maxi-mini was burning its edges. The other favia that I damaged seems to be healing nicely.

Porcelain Crab molt:

i-SShXXGh-M.jpg

My latest weapon against detritus:

i-nQCbpXs-Th.jpg

FTS/FES April:

i-CZTzwk3-M.jpg

Closer

i-BPdkrr8-M.jpg

FTS:

i-Hk2w8QG-S.jpg

Archived