Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Streetsong's pico-de-guy-o

streetsong

This is my official entry for the "Unofficial Walmart Pico Contest."

FTS- 1/30/12

post-45694-1329068764_thumb.jpg

as I share the details of my tank and the contest with Metrokat and Deckoz!

-Tom's 2 gallon deco-kit, bare-bottom, drilled with external standpipe.

-Lighting: BoostLED par30 bulb (2 royal blue, 1 blue, 1 cool white, 1 neutral white)

-2.5 glass AGA sump, stock clamp light used for refugium. Filter Floss and Chemipure for filtration.

-Stock filter in sump with carbon and purigen

-JBJ ATO auto-top-off

Soft Corals

Toadstool Leather

Assorted Zoanthids

Assorted Mushrooms

Green/Orange Ricordea Yuma

Green Star Polyps (Attached to back wall)

Blue/Green Sympodium

Orange/Blue Rhodactis Mushrooms

Pulsing Xenia

LPS Corals

Green Duncan Colony (8 heads)

Green Pineapple Brain (Favia)

Green Trumpets

Green/Purple Plate (1,1/2 inches)

Clean-Up Crew

5 Nassurius Snails (2 in Display, 3 in sump)

Fish

1 Yellow Clown Goby

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you all don't know me personally, you would not get the irony in my thread title. I'm the least "manly" guy I know. Why would I come to this conclusion?

1. I teach music. Enough said.

2. I love cooking and decorating.

3. My wife asks me, "Honey, would you like to watch Beaches or Fried Green Tomatoes tonight?"

4. I am a certified wine expert.

Get the irony?

Brandon,

So when are you going to unveil the "Manly" pico? The world awaits updates and pictures.............. :angry:

we're expecting some salsa with the pico Brandon - maybe a chilli coral

Taco would be a clam

nachos would be fungia frags

add a phish and its a phish taco with pico

we're expecting some salsa with the pico Brandon - maybe a chilli coral

Taco would be a clam

nachos would be fungia frags

add a phish and its a phish taco with pico

You made my day! Spectacular!

You plan on using the lamp at the top for your light? Whatever you end up using anyways? That's really cool I am totally following! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

surgicalsense
I bought my "stand" today. Here is a shot with the tank and sump, just to give you an idea of what it will look like:

post-45694-1320121717_thumb.jpg

Fancy!

My original plan with my Target lamp stand was to keep the regular bulb for lighting my living room, and mounting an LED fixture underneath it. But then I thought, what if I flipped the light socket so it hangs down instead of sticking up and switched the board below the canvas panel (the one with four holes in it) with the one above it, which is just a wooden frame. Then could I plug a par38 into the socket and light the tank and get some ambient light through the canvas at the same time? My biggest concern is heat. Could I do this without the rick of starting a fire? Ideas?

Here is a look into the lamp part of the stand:

post-45694-1320190990_thumb.jpg

hey streetsong where did you find the tank? I live in denver as well and I was just on walmart.com and couldnt find it. I wanna get in on this walmart tank competition.

hey streetsong where did you find the tank? I live in denver as well and I was just on walmart.com and couldnt find it. I wanna get in on this walmart tank competition.

Hi. I got my tank on Walmart before they sold out. I haven't seen them anywhere around town, including local Walmarts. Your best bet is Big Al's online (call them and tell them that it is for this contest and they will give you a 10% discount) or Marine Depot. I hope you can join. We are already having a ton of fun!

My original plan with my Target lamp stand was to keep the regular bulb for lighting my living room, and mounting an LED fixture underneath it. But then I thought, what if I flipped the light socket so it hangs down instead of sticking up and switched the board below the canvas panel (the one with four holes in it) with the one above it, which is just a wooden frame. Then could I plug a par38 into the socket and light the tank and get some ambient light through the canvas at the same time? My biggest concern is heat. Could I do this without the rick of starting a fire? Ideas?

Here is a look into the lamp part of the stand:

post-45694-1320190990_thumb.jpg

If this works, that would be awesome.

LEDs themselves don't produce much heat, if any at all. I doubt it could get hot enough to create a fire. But if you still want to sleep at night, I would rig a fan between the metal poles inside the shade pointing down at the bulb.

I believe the LED's run cooler then your typical 60 watt bulb. You should be fine, A friend of mine has this exact lamp/stand and he has never had any issues with the 60 watt bulbs at all.

It was $35. Plan on spending $10-$15 more online, but still not a bad price. The greatest part about this contest will be learning a lot from enthusiastic reefers- That is worth the price for me!

Also, does anyone have an opinion on this par30 lamp? Would it work for this tank- softies/lps.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Orphek_PR_ML7_D...TBULD-4-vi.html

If this works, that would be awesome.

LEDs themselves don't produce much heat, if any at all. I doubt it could get hot enough to create a fire. But if you still want to sleep at night, I would rig a fan between the metal poles inside the shade pointing down at the bulb.

The fan is a great idea! Thanks for your help!

Archived