inTank Media Baskets

llj's 2.5g - I swear, the last one!

lljdma06

Well, since I'm getting the upgraded lighting for the 8g from Monochrome5, I decided to see how that absolutely adorable LED light looked on a different tank. I just had this 2.5g lying around... So... well...

e6a316fc.jpg

I think it looks really pretty nice! Much more light than I expected. I don't expect to do much. No fuge, just a rio 50+ and waterchanges for now. Will keep really simple things. Will add some macro to this tank as well to keep things nice and stable. What do you think?

These are some details on the light.

30LED with the following breakdown...

27 at 8k Luminous intensity 1400mcd whatever that means.

3 at 12k Luminouse intensity 300mcd whatever that means.

I've been thinking about bringing sexy back with regard to stocking this little tank. I've seen sexy shrimp thrive in tanks without anemones, but I'm not sure. These shrimp may be a possiblity for the 8g as well, where I can keep coral species that are more anemone like. There is also Trimma cana to consider.

I swear this is the last tank. I just don't want to let a perfectly nice tank go to waste. It's so cute. I'll be good and not do anymore, I promise. ;)

FTS (11/7/2011)

f59ce073.jpg

llj

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WHY ISNT THERE WATER IN IT! HAHA

Cause I's making da water. Did my first saltmix yesterday. Got 1.025 in one bucket & 1.025/6 in the other. Not bad for a first mix.

This tank has a cover which is good.

I took the rim off of an AGA tank and it looked identical to an ADA rimless style tank. Also since the tank is so small there isn't much risk of it bowing or anything. Not saying you've gotta do this or anything, but it could be cool with such a sexy light.

^ this.

Also, more details on the light, please!!!! I had that same 2.5 that I hated to throw out (it had traces of copper so it was a no-go for my plans of keeping inverts). Where did you buy it and can you link, please?

I took the rim off of an AGA tank and it looked identical to an ADA rimless style tank. Also since the tank is so small there isn't much risk of it bowing or anything. Not saying you've gotta do this or anything, but it could be cool with such a sexy light.

I would, but, then I lose the ability to cover the tank, which will help with evaporation. I also have annoying cats, they will go on the night stand, the cover will help. But I do love the look. I'd also really want to keep a Trimma cana if I can. Gobies jump. I read more about gobies jumping here than almost anything else. :lol: Trimma cana isn't cheap, the tank will be securely covered.

^ this.

Also, more details on the light, please!!!! I had that same 2.5 that I hated to throw out (it had traces of copper so it was a no-go for my plans of keeping inverts). Where did you buy it and can you link, please?

I purchased the light at Marine depot... (if I'm breaking forum rules by linking, forgive me)

http://www.marinedepot.com/UP_Aqua_UA_F17_...TFILDFX-vi.html

A little update for you... to tease you...

Tank in situ...

d5b44563.jpg

All filled up... ph is between 8.2 and 8.4, I'll get better with water tests, a bit rusty.

3d02eaf6.jpg

Like the 8g, tomorrow I'll put in the sand and the LR. Then we wait. I've got a Rio 50+ in this tank and I have to say, I'm very satisfied with the Rio 50+ in this system. Efficient, good water-movement, and it doesn't take up space. I also got a very small 10W heater, for the winter months. But I won't need one now. House temp is 78. Will have a thermometer in the tank. Still no fuge planned for this one.

Stocking still not sure, but I am looking at some of the very tiny inverts and perhaps a very small fish. The lighting isn't particularly strong, so I expect to have to feed whatever corals I do put in there, and I expect their colors won't be as intense. I also expect growth to not be fast. With only 2.5g of real estate, I don't think raging coral growth is all that necessary. Macro algae will provide some small spots of color. I may try some of the smaller NPS corals or your typical hardy species.

Some video for you...

llj

Ooh, looking good!! :happy:

Thanks TianTian. :) I'm soooooo tired. Just added the LR for both these little tanks.

Adding the LR...

The more I read about Pompom crabs, the more I really want one for this tank. So when I added the LR to this system, I did it with a crab and a goby/shrimp pair in mind. Here is the rock I worked with.

1a0d935c.jpg

There were a few more pieces. Most of the rock was given to me for free when I purchased the stuff for the 8g and a couple other supplies. I also had one larger piece that I took a hammer to to get a couple smaller pieces that were easier to work with. I also ended up with some rubble that a pistol shrimp could lift and play with. I wanted to construct a triangle scape with several locations that would form natural caves in the hardscape. I came up with this initially with the larger pieces...

f81ed8d0.jpg

Then I added the sand. I was improving from my 8g fiasco. :lol: I opted to add the sand in one location and then use some planted tank utensils to slide and scoot the sand to where I wanted it. Got much better resuts. :D This one is much clearer. I added some other smaller pieces and scattered the rubble about and got this result.

6dc6ca0b.jpg

Again, I've got caves for crabs and possibly the goby/shrimp pair and I think I've got room for extra rocks to mount corals on. The scape is quite stable too and the flow is good. I can see NPS playing a large role in this setup. The opposite to the 8g in many ways.

Thanks for looking. :)

llj

Water's cleared up rather quickly. Still a bit murky, but not at all bad.

Some pictures...

fts

7c85df9f.jpg

This is what I see from my bed... :D I designed the scape to be viewed from two angles.

0636ccfd.jpg

I've got a bit of sand drift on the right side of the tank. I think I can sort this first with better placement of the powerhead or another little rock. If use the rock to buffer the flow somewhat, the sand won't get blown around in the corner. It isn't bad, but I've got an interesting dune forming. :lol:

Time for the nitty gritty...

Day 1 stats

I'm opting to test at roughly the same time every morning. I start work next week and I'm up early, so testing can certainly be incorporated into my morning routine, like a yummy cup of Cafe con leche. ;)

pH - 7.4 (very low, I don't love this reading :o: )

Amm - 0ppm

sg - 1.0027 (a bit high, but not bad)

I guess me mucking around kind of messed with the pH, hopefully the sand and the rock will do it's work and the pH will go up. Nothing's perfect... Bleh...

Seems I'm a bit rusty with pH test kits. :lol: I was reading the pH wrong. Numbers were beneath the colors not above. I think my pH was 7.8 yesterday. I promise, I'll get better at this.

Day 2 stats...

pH - 7.8 (better)

amm - Still 0ppm

sg - still holding at 1.027

fts...

DSC05862.jpg

I took it with my HD camera. Was about time.

Thanks for looking

llj

Is that light clipped on all the way? Don't want to see it fall into the tank.

PS: MORE ROCK!

Fine. Will add more rock.

PS: light is secure.

Awesome!!! I'm really a fan of how this is looking so far! :) More rock would look sweet; I definitely like the idea that you've had multiple angle aesthetics in mind; a lot of scapes I've seen only look pretty from the fts. :D

I just love that little light to bits!!! Keep up the awesomeness!

Awesome!!! I'm really a fan of how this is looking so far! :) More rock would look sweet; I definitely like the idea that you've had multiple angle aesthetics in mind; a lot of scapes I've seen only look pretty from the fts. :D

I just love that little light to bits!!! Keep up the awesomeness!

Added the new rock. Hahaha! Looks like the Himalayas now.

Added more LR...

Before...

DSC05862.jpg

After... I give you the Himalayas....

2896dc47.jpg

1c03a586.jpg

adc78310.jpg

cdf947ba.jpg

Hehehe, looks like a mountain range now. Stil pretty cool from multiple sides, which I like and lots of caves. This has about 3-4x the amount of rock it did before. Thanks for looking.

llj

I like it! It looks better than a 2.5 now, interesting-shaped rocks :)

Going to be great

It does look bigger, I think. The interesting shapes came from me beating the rock to death. I got one larger piece & then hammered away.

+ 1 for Himalayas look! :D I certainly love the extra caves! Nice work!

Whats that tiny black thing on the left side of your fts?

I think you're seeing my submersible digital thermometer? I like the extra caves. Gotta bring Newman here to tell me all the things he'd put in those caves. :lol:

OOOoooooooohh.... ahhhhhhhhhhhh.... :o

Seriously, that thing is tiny!! :) I like!

I like it too. Still bummed I broke my fuge and am now trying to figure out how I can avoid this with this tank's refugium. :(

But, while I'm pondering, here's my potential livestock list...

I'm not a fan of massive CUC, when they say 1 snail per gallon, or one crab per gallon, I don't like this. I heard that from another lfs, and I got crabby (pun totally intended). I want them to actually enjoy living in my tank and survive longterm. If my algae problems goes away more slowly, that's totally ok.

CUC

Cerithium litteratum (ceriths) - 1 or 2 max, but I think I'm fine with 1

Nassarius (sand snail) - 1

Calcinus seurati (Dwarf zebra hermit crab) - 1, is small enough to not bother the pompoms

Livestock

Lybia spp (Boxer or Pompom crabs) - a trio would be great

Hymenocera picta (Harlequin shrimp) - a pair (they only eat starfish, the plan is to either buy the starfish or raise them in the fuges. IMO, the price and labor is worth the complete coolness of the species.

I think an invert tank with the above species would stand very well on its own. So...

No fish, at least at this time, I tried to figure out a fish that I liked and barring a Flaming prawn goby, a Trimma cana, a neon goby, or a yellow or green clown goby, I wasn't loving my choices for fish. Also, if the tank goes open-top, which it will if I add a fuge, I risk losing a goby. Granted it won't be a huge trauma-drama for a $10 neon goby, but on a $65 flaming prawn goby, I'd feel it hard.

The corals...

I'm going to take it very slow with corals, starting probably in this tank with shrooms that I can move to the 36g tank, but eventually, I'd like this tank to have...

Tubastrea (sun corals)

Diodogorgia nodulifera (Red gorgonian) - yellow and or red forms...

My dream coral - Acalycigorgia (blueberry gorgonian)- super hard to keep & for mature systems, which is why it is a dream. :)

Not a lot of species but I like the idea of just having a few, if a NPS catches my eye and it's not too difficult to care for, it goes in. The great thing is that I can basically get away with frags. I was inspired by the Pompom crabs and would like corals that sort of mimic the look of the pompoms, which means larger, flower-like polyps. Silly, I know, this is my planted aesthetic coming in. I see a scape with gorgonian trees and little fields of Tubastrea.

llj

Archived