Top Shelf Aquatics

Jai's Build Thread

Jai1985

HI guys,

My Name is Jai (Jay) and im new to Nano-Reef.. i wanted to start a build thread so i can get some ideas and ask some questions. I have been in Saltwater for about 2-3 years now, and I just had to get rid of my 90 gallon mixed reef due to moving and financial stuff http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/style_imag...icons/icon5.gif . No need to worry about me asking newbie questions as i have some experience in the hobby, and i know reading,reading,reading is key but i still have some thoughts/ opinions on some stuff and would like to know what you guys think.

I am looking to possibly get a Solana 34 gallon to replace the 90 after I move (by the end of Sept.).

Does anyone have any thoughts on these tanks? Such as stocking Ideas, upgrade suggestions, and or equipment?

I know I prefer a predominately softies and LPS in my tanks (as my 90 was) but i am not opposed to some sps's. The Solana comes with a HQI pendant or CF'S (it looks like some kind of ufo to me(the HQI) and i would rather have the look of the CF pendant but.. if a HQI is the better way to go...) What are your thoughts on this as far as coral growth, color spectrum (I really like the Blue look) and stocking choices for coral?

Also if anyone reads this and has one for sale ... hit me up!

Thanks guys and im glad to be a part of Nano Reef and this will not be my last post!

Cheers,

Jai

rmelendez001

What I know about solana's is they're fancy, stylish and cool! :P .. Between the hqi and cf's i'd definitely go with the hqi... cf's imo are almost obsolete as main tank lighting! If you could choose between t5's and hqi i'd say it's a personal choice.. both are good regarding coral growth. They both have pros and cons for hqi's will cost more on the long run due to power consumption... but will give you the nice shimmer effect that cf won't... cf's have more flexibility in the sense that you can play around with the bulbs to achieve your spectrum preference.Led's are another option... I've heard good results as well as people who've ditched them and turned back to their previous lighting. I haven't used them as main lighting but they are excellent for supplementing any light source and achieving that color popping blue spectrum many of us like.

What I know about solana's is they're fancy, stylish and cool! :P .. Between the hqi and cf's i'd definitely go with the hqi... cf's imo are almost obsolete as main tank lighting! If you could choose between t5's and hqi i'd say it's a personal choice.. both are good regarding coral growth. They both have pros and cons for hqi's will cost more on the long run due to power consumption... but will give you the nice shimmer effect that cf won't... cf's have more flexibility in the sense that you can play around with the bulbs to achieve your spectrum preference.Led's are another option... I've heard good results as well as people who've ditched them and turned back to their previous lighting. I haven't used them as main lighting but they are excellent for supplementing any light source and achieving that color popping blue spectrum many of us like.

Yeah i had CF's on my 90 and had trouble with having to supplement with T5's. Definitely the HQI is the way i'm going to go. Being as the Solona only has one bulb, is there a way to get a more blue look and still have a good spectrum for growth?

Go 20000k. Get a good quality 20000k bulb and it will give you a decent blue look but will also give you good growth.

What 20k HQI bulb would you recommend? Or does the name brand really matter?

Go 20000k. Get a good quality 20000k bulb and it will give you a decent blue look but will also give you good growth.

What would you guys recommend as far as circulation in the tank? ive been looking at nano wave makers but i think its safe to say im more confused now than i was lol... thoughts?

disaster999

mp10 would be a nice for the tank..+an addition powerhead for extra flow depending on what you plan to keep.

seeing you are from florida heat might be an issue for you if you go MH. do you plan on running a chiller? if not i would consider switching to LED

Not planning on running a chiller and LED's are completely out of my budget (college student)... would the MH be a problem with my home being no more than 74 year round? I've never used a MH before so im not sure of how bad the heat issues are... i dont even think i will need a heater on this build as it would never drop below room temp. right? The MH that comes with the tank is a 150W 14k HQI just FYI in case anyone is interested

Hi Jai. I just ordered a Solana 34 and the only upgrade I have committed to so far is the replacement media basket from InTank (mediabaskets.com). I am still researching lights, etc.

Look forward to hearing more about your project as it develops. I'm sure I'll be posting questions as well!

-Bryan

Thanks for the comment!

Where did you order yours from? What do you think of the media basket? Also what are you thoughts on upgrades?

Hi Jai. I just ordered a Solana 34 and the only upgrade I have committed to so far is the replacement media basket from InTank (mediabaskets.com). I am still researching lights, etc.

Look forward to hearing more about your project as it develops. I'm sure I'll be posting questions as well!

-Bryan

THose Media Racks sure are smexy! I wonder if i could build one for a lot less? DIY forum here i come!

Bryan,

Could you upload some photos and dimensions of that media basket of yours?

-Bryan

Bryan,

Could you upload some photos and dimensions of that media basket of yours?

Haven't received it yet. Still waiting for the solana too...

But I'm sure there are plenty of solana owners that already have it.

Where did you order your tank from? I'm looking at Ebay or Aquaticpetsupply

Haven't received it yet. Still waiting for the solana too...

But I'm sure there are plenty of solana owners that already have it.

So I've been looking around for my tank now for a few days... and today i was told that the one place that had it at an affordable price cant get it any longer :( .....(sob)........ so i guess im not gonna get a Solana ... what do you guys think of this one? Rimless Beauty

I would need a refuge, but thats a good thing to have anyways and this tank is about 150 bucks cheaper than the Solana... besides i have a 10g i could turn into one...

What are you guys thoughts on the Shallow tanks? I was thinking of getting a Goby down the line and i dont want to find someone had gone carpet surfing during the night while i was asleep! However i really am liking the ease of access and the wider footprint ( 3 islands with a channel in the middle comes to mind for aquascaping), but the thought of a mesh top..... kinda takes away from a rimless tank dont you think?

In other things I've never hung a light before and i dont think i would want to ruin the beauty of a rimless tank with a light on top of it.. so has anyone got any experience in that they care to share?

Cheers,

Jai

Where did you order your tank from? I'm looking at Ebay or Aquaticpetsupply

I ordered from PetSolutions. They told me it should ship this next week.

Thats the one i was looking at! lol

I ordered from PetSolutions. They told me it should ship this next week.

Archived