Coral Vue Hydros

Nano Box 12 LED Lighting Unit: DaveFason Special

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

Wanted to share my experiences with a new entrant into the LED world: DaveFason and his Nano Box Reef units. I've been in the hobby close to 4 years now and have used PC, MH, T5, and now LED lighting over my tanks, and I have never been happier with a unit or a lighting type than I am with Dave's 12" LED fixture.

From Dave's site:

"12" Custom CNC Housing

12 Rebel ES LED's

Active Cooling

Nano Box Driver

I also included the Ryujin controller which allows for sunrise/set, clouds, and storms, plus color mixing.

The craftsmanship on this thing is superb. I feel like i could hit it with a hammer and it wouldn't skip a beat (but I'm not trying!). The fan is quiet, and the Rebel LEDs render color better than any I've seen (I've used a couple different Cree LED units over my tanks before - this is way better). Couple pics:

i-mMG4Djx-L.jpg

i-DHstXdS-L.jpg

Reefbuilders did a feature on the units recently: NanoBox 12 LED reef light is a cute little package from NanoBox Reef, and Dave has his own youtube channel with some nice action vids: YouTube - ‪DaveFason's Channel‬‏

I took one vid of my tank with cloud sims. My crappy iphone 3 camera doesn't do the color changes justice:

th_ce155849.jpg

I highly recommend Dave and his LED units. They are high quality, and his customer service is some of the best in the hobby. A couple more shots under different color mixes:

Cyph under all blue:

i-v99SJ3p-L.jpg

Blasos during the day:

i-42C3Gx7-L.jpg

Deleted User 6

Not terribly worried about detail that specific. I won't be spending much time looking at how straight the LEDs are.

Deleted User 6

Update: Just talked with Dave and I will be adding his Ryujin controller to this unit. Sunrise/Sunset, here I come.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Deleted User 6

That's a question for Dave. I asked the same thing and he said the color spread was much better that way. Since it doesn't have optics and it's going over a small tank, I don't expect the clustered setup to be an issue.

HecticDialectics

Clustering the lights makes sense imo

Looks good! Hit that chrome grill with some flat black enamel. :P

I prefer to keep tighter clusters with my units. This makes for better color blending and better PAR numbers as well. Imagine it as a really efficient halide bulb. One central source then it being spread out. This will be PLENTY for D's tank :)

-Dave

Deleted User 6

Thanks Dave.

Just got this thing on Sat. and it is f'n sweet. Plug and play - I figured out the controller within 30 seconds. The build quality is amazing, and the color on the LEDs is as good as I've seen.

I'm in the middle of moving apartments, so it's going to be a few days before I can get some quality pics/videos and get a chance to run the light through the ringer. I'll fill out the initial review soon.

Also, Dave has been completely hands on with me during the build - asking for feedback and checking to make sure he was meeting my expectations with pics and videos. The highest level of service I've gotten in this hobby (and that's saying a lot, given the place in my heart for John Maloney at reefcleaners).

Mini - Its extremely hard to capture the exact color with LED's. Plus the unit has COMPLETE control over the color so its not hard to make it like a 6500K bulb or super blue.

-Dave

Deleted User 6

Still haven't had the chance to get some good pictures of the unit, or give the controller a rundown (also still no internet at the new apt.). Here's a quick shot of the light and tank where it's going to be staying. Note the spread of that clustered array over a 2.5g tank.

i-5F3q49v-L.jpg

Also, the shelf isn't crooked. Camera lens, angled shot, etc. etc.

• 4 weeks later...
Deleted User 6

Totes yeah MD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 new shots over the Barracuda. I freakin' love this light. First time my wife has ever gone "Whoa that's cool" about anything reef-related while it was sunsetting.

i-mMG4Djx-L.jpg

i-DHstXdS-L.jpg

Archived