Pod Your Reef

fluval spec with custom LEDs

Polscot

so i recently got a fluval spec, and decided to set it up as a marine, its currently cycling with 2lbs sand and a fair sized 3lbs rock, i took the media crap out of the back and replaced it with a bag of carbon, a bag of purigen, and a nano skimmer designed for a biocube (next level skimming apperatus)

now ive been reading that the original leds are crap (go figure) so i placed an order for http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-38/06-...Yourself/Detail

now im not gettign a dimmer hopefully sps will be an option...really i want a mini chalise tank with sexies...i ordered 2 white and 4 royal blue Im a huge fan of the blue look makes corals pop im hoping the leds will arrive by the time the cycle is done, im also going to have to fabricate a wooden hood

heres some pics as of right now nothing special

post-53335-1300831572_thumb.jpgbefore post-53335-1301863792_thumb.jpgafter

post-53335-1300831592_thumb.jpg

post-53335-1300831614_thumb.jpg

will need advise on led layout down below (evil)

now heres the "planned" LED set up, i may also throw some LED strips i have laying around into the hood for a moonlight but we'll see. any sudgestions or comments are appreciated :lol: you'll knowtise there is no fan over the leds im going to try without for a bit as i live in canada my basement is always a cool 17 degrees

ill also be getting a mini stealth heater once the cycle is over, b4 i start adding stuff

post-53335-1300831161_thumb.jpg

post-53335-1301567885_thumb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks good, but dont run the skimmer or any of the chemical filtration during cycling period. it possibly will interfere with your bacterias' consumption of ammonia and nitrite.

brandolando4

Hey I have the same tank, u are really going to like it!! Let me know how that skimmer works, I hear its crap, but let me know!!

Yah the stock LEDs blow!!

Drift Monkey

Lookin' good. Take out anything but filter floss at this point and don't run the skimmer...unless you're trying to soft cycle to save any existing inhabitants...

bought a couple hermits to better start the cycle along with some live nitrifiers to speed the cycle,

the hermits are white legged i think it will look BA with the blue LED, should make theres legs glow

post-53335-1300926923_thumb.jpg

red tip dwarf hermit? or green leg or w/e theyre called. IMO you should have bought them after the cycle is done and bacteria in the bottle stuff isnt really necessary if you started with LR...

oh in that case youre doing ok. the correct bateria should have at least arrived on the hermit's shells if not in the bottle (sometimes they dont work)

Have you had to do any hefty-duty cleaning of the left and right walls of your tank yet? How is it working out?

I just had to move some things around to prevent the inevitable annoyance of toothbrushing the walls, but was just curious.

I love the fluval spec and can't wait to see more.

nah its not old enough yet to start growing anytrhing, but thats why i went for the uni-rock so it can easily be moved aside while i clean the walls :) i decided im going to mkae it a crab only tank i love crabs, emerald porcelin anemone and maybe a pompom, hoping the LEDs come soon so i can start the canopy/lgt build

Nice setup. I don't think that a skimmer is really required in a tank this size. I'm just replacing a couple cups of water every day or two in mine. I can't wait to see yours with sps. Here's what mine looks like with softies and a yellow clown goby.

post-45694-1301010118_thumb.jpg

thats quite nice, i love shrooms have a edge devoted to them :), are you running the stock lighting? i had an extra skimmer lying around and when it comes to things that help clean and maintain it never hurts to have more lol, overkill yah but ohh well, ill prolly also run purigen and carbon in the back and maybe throw in a mangrove really power clean the little tank lol

wont turn it on untill after the cycle and i get some life in there, but it does work i used it on my fluval edge for a long time, saved my tank 3 times from a sea hare death........they work pro just gotta make sure the air is adjusted perfect takes a bit of time....but were not really in the hobby for its speed lol

so i bought a emerald crab...cept hes pink...so i got a pink emerald crab lol

post-53335-1301447711_thumb.jpg

LED kit arrived in the mail

post-53335-1301447748_thumb.jpg

used the glue instead of drilling as im lazy and just dont have the time (maybe next one)

post-53335-1301447799_thumb.jpg

i only had a solder gun not one the the small pens, so was a totally amature solder job....but it works

post-53335-1301447849_thumb.jpg

its bright........real bright plugged it in as i stared at it like a retard....

post-53335-1301447874_thumb.jpg

FTS

post-53335-1301447916_thumb.jpg

post-53335-1301447921_thumb.jpg

all i have left to do it build a custom canopy so ill see if i can do that this weekend and get some photos up,

Where did you buy your heatsink???

got heat sink and all LED stuff from Rapidled.com bud, good deal, it gets hot though so im going to go get a fan tomoro

Nice!

I'm doing something very similar. My 4 LEDs (3 white, 1 blue) is pretty warm, I imagine your 6 really cranks out the heat.

Are you using the stock lid? Is the heat (not from the LED, but from the hot heatsink) warping the cover?

got a piece of acrylic i cut 7x7" left the back open for skimmer or mangrove plant, also bought a fan attached it to a power adapter i had laying around, it runs .01ma less then the fan is rated so i should have no issues,

temp mounted 1" above acrylic untill i get the canopy made

post-53335-1301528641_thumb.jpg

got the base wood for the canopy once its built ill add trim and stain it black to match the tank

post-53335-1301528676_thumb.jpg

ill try to do the wood work on the weekend at my buddies hes got all the carp gear

i screwed together the base for the canopy sanded it and filled the cracks with white glue, tommorow ill build the inner shelf that holds the LEDs then im going to cut some trim (crown molding) for the top and bottom to make it look like a real custom canopy and finish it with a dark stain prolly black

post-53335-1301536849_thumb.jpg

im holding it 3 feet from the tank and u can see the blue from the leds on it lol, thats bright

Archived