d0lph1n

Please help me identify this white shrimp:

- 1/2 inch long

- white eyes

- whiter back than its body

- "regular" shrimp body

- it lives in my Xenia sp. which doesn't seem to be bothered too much by it

- very active, it moves a lot.

- i can see it only after dark when Xenia goes to sleep.

My photo attempts have been unsuccessfully so far.

Photo added:

DSC_7276.jpg

Sounds like some sort of commensal anemone shrimp or something.

Probably nothing to be concerned about if you're not noticing anything wrong. Maybe do an image search and see if you can identify something similar.

lawnmowerblenny

what do you mean looks like a regular shrimp?

like the kind you eat hahaha

and if it is the xenia shrimp I'd be suprised.... and how the hell do you expect anyone to ID this for you if the only info you provide is its nocturnal .5" and black & white....

we need something more to go and take a pic with flash if you cant get a good shot of him with lights out at least that way we know your not talking about a giant pod or something.........

lawnmowerblenny

looks like n albino sexy imo they look similar in shape and size so I still dont know what you mean when you say looks like a regular shrimp(shrimp can be very diverse, so that makes no sence....)

what do you mean looks like a regular shrimp?

like the kind you eat hahaha

and if it is the xenia shrimp I'd be suprised.... and how the hell do you expect anyone to ID this for you if the only info you provide is its nocturnal .5" and black & white....

we need something more to go and take a pic with flash if you cant get a good shot of him with lights out at least that way we know your not talking about a giant pod or something.........

Thank you for your advice. You've been very helpful. I was trying to take a photo in complete darkness with a pinhole camera..but I forgot to put film... And that thing looks like a butterfly...or a cow...don't know...I'm confused.

looks like n albino sexy imo they look similar in shape and size so I still dont know what you mean when you say looks like a regular shrimp(shrimp can be very diverse, so that makes no sence....)

by regular, I mean nothing special about its body shape or form. The sexy shrimp doesn't look "regular" to me.

I'll try to take more photos. it's almost impossible focus on the damn thing. I'll try to use a tripod and to manual focus. The shrimp & Xenia move so much and it makes it very dif. for me to even look at it.

lawnmowerblenny

no doubt im sure hes a soft coral shrimp like those guys say... you'd know if was a sexy cuz that booty never stops shaking!

I'LL BE FOLLOWING THIS, WANT TO SEE WHAT IT IS =D

It looks like something from the genus Perclimenes, especially the emperor shrimp (P. imperator).

Thanks for your reply. Does this shrimp emulate its host's colors?

+1commensal xenia shrimp IMO but cant say for sure... without a nice/clear macro shot....

:) If you have a macro lens for nikon mount I'll be very happy to use it.

:) If you have a macro lens for nikon mount I'll be very happy to use it.

Wouldn't be needed. You've got a great macro shot of the piece of rock next to it, so you just need to change the cam position by a little bit to get the shrimp into that detail level - provided it sits there again for you.

From the patterns, the location, and the color I'd agree with the xenia commensal shrimp, but you're right the body shape doesn't quite match the pics.

lawnmowerblenny

yeah i have a macro atachment for my nikond70

but like he said you dont need 1... just use a tripod shoot straight onto glass and use manual focus if you can... maybe back up a few inches and then just crop it when you get a nice clear macro shot...

yeah i have a macro atachment for my nikond70

but like he said you dont need 1... just use a tripod shoot straight onto glass and use manual focus if you can... maybe back up a few inches and then just crop it when you get a nice clear macro shot...

What kind of macro lens do you have?

I took that photo in complete darkness and on top of that, the shrimp was moving a lot so it was impossible to manual focus. Last night, the shrimp wasn't there.

yep, definitely periclimenes.

edit: jk, it might be this:

hippolyte commensalis

I hope you are right. Thanks for your reply.

The guys were I got the Xenia from said the same thing when I showed them the photo.

Archived