Cultivated Reef

how to fight Red Slime Algae(Cyanobacteria)?

shingo43

I started to dose zeovit nano power and yes the corals color and growth rate is getting better but the trade off is I have a mini Cyano problem, there is like some Cyano on the front of my tank in the low light low flow area, I tried to change 30% of water but it did not help. what is the best way to fight Cyano?

water parameters:

no3 5

po4 0.3

ph 8.2

AquaticDiscounts
I started to dose zeovit nano power and yes the corals color and growth rate is getting better but the trade off is I have a mini Cyano problem, there is like some Cyano on the front of my tank in the low light low flow area, I tried to change 30% of water but it did not help. what is the best way to fight Cyano?

water parameters:

no3 5

po4 0.3

ph 8.2

red slime remover. get it at your lfs. I had it before and pretty bad too, then I used the remover and within days it was melting off. just make sure you follow the direction to the T because it is strong stuff. I never lost anything either.

I heard that before, but I am afraid to add any chemicals to my tank because I had bad experience with dose ich medication and made things worse. If I do 10% water change per day for the next 5 days, will that help?

wtf. DO NOT ADD CHEMICAL FIXES.

Phos is building somehow. Either too much food, too many fish...ect. If your tank is super new, just keep up with your water changes. It will go away it a bit. If you have silly-high amounts of it, run a little phosban/phosguard in a filter bag for a week, and do a W/C.

One of the issues might be flow as many have said on this site before me. However it didn't help me with cyano. What helped me is keeping nutients low and carbon. The carbon sucked out what ever the cyano was feeding off of. Hope this helps. I think each case is different. Good luck!

wtf. DO NOT ADD CHEMICAL FIXES.

Phos is building somehow. Either too much food, too many fish...ect. If your tank is super new, just keep up with your water changes. It will go away it a bit. If you have silly-high amounts of it, run a little phosban/phosguard in a filter bag for a week, and do a W/C.

+1

Patience! I had a cyano outbreak that is just now almost gone. Took me 2 months of regular water changes. Mine was due to overfeeding (went on vacation for 2 weeks and the fish sitter was putting in too much food).

Keep up with the water changes, keep testing your water and address any flow issues that you may have. It will work, just be patient.

Dose Coral Snow once a week for a month and it will be gone. DO NOT use RED SLIME REMOVER its an antibiotic and will KILL ALL the bacteria in your tank and reset the cycle.

KZ-NRS-CS250.jpg

AquaticDiscounts

That's not true it didn't mess with my cycle. I think the reason every one is scared of using it is because they hear the horror stories of things going wrong, but its most likely because the person dosing it didn't put the right amount in the first place. just because a tank can hold 10 gallons doesn't mean there is ten gallons of water in the tank.its very concentrated powder so just be careful and don't use very much, and after it melts away within a few days do big water changes. in my own personnel experience using it.

Chemicals are just going to make it go away. Unless you find out why you are getting cyano and fix that, it's just going to keep coming back.

I had a cyano outbreak in my 2.5 I tried doing water changes but it didn't help so I decided to use the slime remover and it worked great. I haven't had any problems with it restarting my cycle and everything is still alive.

That's not true it didn't mess with my cycle. I think the reason every one is scared of using it is because they hear the horror stories of things going wrong, but its most likely because the person dosing it didn't put the right amount in the first place. just because a tank can hold 10 gallons doesn't mean there is ten gallons of water in the tank.its very concentrated powder so just be careful and don't use very much, and after it melts away within a few days do big water changes. in my own personnel experience using it.

Stop. You are a true detriment to the thread and all those that are genuinely trying to research and don't know any better because they are new to this.

No one is scared of anything. Supplanting proper husbandry for chemical solutions makes for sloppy practice and, ultimately, failure. Reduce the phos in your system and cyano will go away. That's it.

Stop. You are a true detriment to the thread and all those that are genuinely trying to research and don't know any better because they are new to this.

Reduce the phos in your system and cyano will go away. That's it.

holdorf333, you are the detriment to this thread. Balanced opinions are always better than threads where "someone" claims they are the correct one and pretty much bashes anyone else. Sound familiar?

To the OP, I will throw in another vote for Red Slime Remover. I did all the other suggested methods of removal (literal removal as well as "raise flow", and also the "lower nutrients" theories) to no avail. It went on for weeks and weeks. I finally decided to try the "horrible, no good, rotten chemicals" and they worked like a charm.....and guess what.....it never came back.

While I am generally in the camp of "treat the underlying cause" and "do not add chemical to the tank"....sometimes fixing the issue right in front of you (even if it is with chemicals) really does work long term. For me it did.

To address the other claims some have made.

1. Supporting what some others have said, my bacteria population survived just fine. I test regularly and saw no difference in any levels before, during, or after the treatment.

2. It has not come back. Sometimes there is no concrete underlying issue (or it is solved, but algae remains) and you just need to nudge the stuff into submission. I think sometimes the underlying issue is treated but the cyano just holds on to life and needs to be killed.

holdorf333, you are the detriment to this thread. Balanced opinions are always better than threads where "someone" claims they are the correct one and pretty much bashes anyone else. Sound familiar?

To the OP, I will throw in another vote for Red Slime Remover. I did all the other suggested methods of removal (literal removal as well as "raise flow", and also the "lower nutrients" theories) to no avail. It went on for weeks and weeks. I finally decided to try the "horrible, no good, rotten chemicals" and they worked like a charm.....and guess what.....it never came back.

While I am generally in the camp of "treat the underlying cause" and "do not add chemical to the tank"....sometimes fixing the issue right in front of you (even if it is with chemicals) really does work long term. For me it did.

This isn't about an exchange of ideas. You don't understand how you failed so hard because you never bothered to do any research yourself. Low flow??? lollolol I would love to hear how you explain the causes of cyano accumulation without being able to Google it first.

Chemicals are a last ditch effort once your entire failbox is covered in cyano and you are about to lose every single frag you bought before your system was anywhere near mature. You are either extremely new to this yourself or have just had ####ty habits the entire time.

From personal experience I can say that red slime remover does what it says. I had a huge slime problem and this just obliterated it. No changes noticed in my one fish, any of the corals and my red blood shrimp. I would recommend this product to anyone

This isn't about an exchange of ideas. You don't understand how you failed so hard because you never bothered to do any research yourself. Low flow??? lollolol I would love to hear how you explain the causes of cyano accumulation without being able to Google it first.

Chemicals are a last ditch effort once your entire failbox is covered in cyano and you are about to lose every single frag you bought before your system was anywhere near mature. You are either extremely new to this yourself or have just had ####ty habits the entire time.

Stop bashing on other people. If you don't like their opinions then state that you don't agree, why you don't agree, and what YOU would do and then move on. There is no reason to bash on people or call their tank a "failbox."

Thanks for furthering my point.

OP....do what you think is right. Do not just listen to whomever sounds the most angry or willing to bash other people who do not agree with them. Do what makes the most sense to you since everyone here has provided their opinion and we are all equally knowledgeable.

Some people have provided their personal experiences to back up their opinions about methods and products that worked or did not work for them. Some have just made broad statements about what is and what is not acceptable to do without relating it to their actual experiences. It is now up to you I guess..... Good luck no matter what you do.

Stop bashing on other people. If you don't like their opinions then state that you don't agree, why you don't agree, and what YOU would do and then move on. There is no reason to bash on people or call their tank a "failbox."

This is the Beginner's Forum. Stop giving out chemical-fixes to every last problem that has been solved years ago and these things won't happen.

Fish has ich? Just dose some "Quick Cure"

Water cloudy? Just add some "Clear-Ease"

Cyano in your failbox? Dose up some "Red Slime Remover"

Fish got bugs? Hit it with some "Parasite Clear"

Too much phosphate? Drip in some "Phosphate Control"

Nitrogen all out of whack? Add some "Bio-zyme"

All of these things have a right way and a wrong way of approaching. The answer almost never comes in a bottle.

Thanks for furthering my point.

OP....do what you think is right. Do not just listen to whomever sounds the most angry or willing to bash other people who do not agree with them. Do what makes the most sense to you since everyone here has provided their opinion and we are all equally knowledgeable.

Some people have provided their personal experiences to back up their opinions about methods and products that worked or did not work for them. Some have just made broad statements about what is and what is not acceptable to do without relating it to their actual experiences. It is now up to you I guess..... Good luck no matter what you do.

hahahahahha sure thing

gulfsurfer101

I would think and try and lower the phos down too by doing two or three large water changes in a week while leaving the lights out for time doing so. You will see your tank do much better after this, just remember to lower you light cycle by about two hours for a few days and gradually bring it up.

I had same problem with cyano in my 40 breeder.If its a fairly new tank just keep doing what your doing with the regular water changes and it will go away. Siphone out what you can when u do a water change. I was also getting ready to dose vodka/mb7 at the time of the ending of my cyano outbreak and started with the seeding process on the bottle and the cyano completely dissappeared in between WC. I am not telling you to run out and buy mb7 I am just stating my experience but I would just keep up with the WC removing what you can and you will beat it that way, keeping in mind you arent doing other things to feed the nutrients.

Wow did red slime remover kill your mom or something? People might actually listen to you if you broke down his argument intelligently, instead of like a nerd raging 12 year old.

Cyano is an animal and can be stopped by backing off on feeding and lowering the debris and nitrates in the tank. You want to also have good water flow over the rock to stop detritus buildup.

Archived