SaltCritters.com

POLL: Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?

lgreen

Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a freshwater aquarium in addition to a saltwater nano?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I have kept freshwater aquariums in the past
  2. 2. Should Nano-Reef.com have a small section for freshwater aquariums?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What would you use the freshwater aquarium forum for? (check all that apply)

• Learning how to start a freshwater aquarium
    • Seeking general advice about your freshwater aquarium
    • Showing off your aquarium
    • Discussion of advanced topics such as planted tanks, breeding, etc.
    • Giving others advice on any of the above
    • None because I selected "no" above

This thread is meant to be an extension of the following discussion:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=260622

Hopefully this poll can provide a better idea as to whether or not a freshwater forum would have a place on Nano-Reef.com.

Keep in mind, I don't believe the idea would be to change the focus of Nano-Reef.com away from saltwater at all, but rather just to include a small space for freshwater enthusiasts who are already a member of this community to gather.

Feel free to add your comments to either thread.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep them seperate...........salt is one thing and fresh is another. They bring different personalities and different views on aquarium ideas. If you want to learn or talk about freshwater aquariums find a different forum. It's 2011 and the web is crawling with information. It probably will not be that hard to find a freshwater forum.

Please keep it seperate. If another freshwater tank site is needed please make it on a seperate domain like nano-plant.com or something!

fresh does not suck if you put as much effort into it as salt. they can be awesome looking and have fish more colorful. you just have to know what to get and how to take care of it.

true some of them are different but i do both and im not.

its not different ideas water chemistry is water chemistry no matter how you cut it.

all other forums suck compared to nano-reef, and i want to talk to the same ppl and not have to go to different forums. allot of the other ppl are not advance as we are,

this site is NANO reef yet we have a large reef forum on here.

it wont hurt anyone to have it.

it wont be for fresh water ppl it will be for nano reefers that also have FW so it wont attract FW only ppl here.

If it makes some people happy and doesn't inconvenience anyone, why not?

I'll never to to that section, personally, but I'm sure some people would.

I have a 20L saltwater tank and a 55 gallon freshwater cichlid tank, and I'm sure there are plenty of other people on this forum that keep both.

I can't see having a small freshwater section hurting anyone.

HecticDialectics

Hey lgreen, learn to make a poll next time.

I chose NO and NO, but still had to make a selection on the third part of the poll tho none of them said "I would use it for NOTHING"

Keep them seperate...........salt is one thing and fresh is another. They bring different personalities and different views on aquarium ideas. If you want to learn or talk about freshwater aquariums find a different forum. It's 2011 and the web is crawling with information. It probably will not be that hard to find a freshwater forum.

I agree 100%

It's also not letting me add my no vote. Do I have to check one of the bottom options even if I don't want to pick one?

HecticDialectics
It's also not letting me add my no vote. Do I have to check one of the bottom options even if I don't want to pick one?

Yes, because lgreen screwed up his poll.

It's called nano REEF...

+1 and done.

go to aquariumadvice.com or something.

I love seeing planted tanks. I just love seeing them on forums related to planted tanks.

Except schg's. He's an exception because his tank looks awesome so far.

everyone else...no.

I can see every one's point about this being a SW site but.

1) How would this negatively effect you, anymore than having add the Macro forum.

2) Having a small group of hobbyiests with cross disciplinary knowledge. Willing to give insight about things like Iwagumi & how to perhaps, Best use these principles. To aid in our nanos could be a great advantage, over other sites.

Remember this site is known for its continuing ability to push into new aspects that further the hobby. I would point out that this site has done it in several area's such as lighting & picos. Is trying to do it in other areas like macros & marine planted tanks. I would further put forward that giving a knee jerk reaction of this is only a place for SW. Denning the possible knowledge that could be gained form this, is counter to the Ideals of this site. It is not a Question of weather or not there is a place for it here. But instead is there something that could be learned from it & would there be enough interest to provide a large enough knowledge base to advance the hobby.

All those looking to simply keep the status quo should be ashamed of them selves.

fresh does not suck if you put as much effort into it as salt. they can be awesome looking and have fish more colorful. you just have to know what to get and how to take care of it.

true some of them are different but i do both and im not.

its not different ideas water chemistry is water chemistry no matter how you cut it.

all other forums suck compared to nano-reef, and i want to talk to the same ppl and not have to go to different forums. allot of the other ppl are not advance as we are,

this site is NANO reef yet we have a large reef forum on here.

it wont hurt anyone to have it.

it wont be for fresh water ppl it will be for nano reefers that also have FW so it wont attract FW only ppl here.

I can see every one's point about this being a SW site but.

1) How would this negatively effect you, anymore than having add the Macro forum.

2) Having a small group of hobbyiests with cross disciplinary knowledge. Willing to give insight about things like Iwagumi & how to perhaps, Best use these principles. To aid in our nanos could be a great advantage, over other sites.

Remember this site is known for its continuing ability to push into new aspects that further the hobby. I would point out that this site has done it in several area's such as lighting & picos. Is trying to do it in other areas like macros & marine planted tanks. I would further put forward that giving a knee jerk reaction of this is only a place for SW. Denning the possible knowledge that could be gained form this, is counter to the Ideals of this site. It is not a Question of weather or not there is a place for it here. But instead is there something that could be learned from it & would there be enough interest to provide a large enough knowledge base to advance the hobby.

All those looking to simply keep the status quo should be ashamed of them selves.

These

It doesn't hurt to not look. Macro tanks aren't reefs. Large tanks aren't nano tanks. Coldwater tanks aren't reef tanks. All the concepts from these can be used in reefing though. Water is water. It just depends on what you are keeping alive in it. Not to mention I like the vast majority of the people on here and seeing what they think about FW tanks would be nice, not to mention helpful.

I would definitely be opposed to scrolling through a bunch of FW crap when looking to something relevant to SW. Keep it separate.

Ferrari_Jones

If I want FW info, I don't come to nano-reef, I go to google. Would I care if a FW section was added? Not really, but I don't think it would be used enough to justify being there. Granted, some members keep both, but notice how many made the jump to SW and didn't look back? If I were running things that would be enough for me to pass on the idea. If a handful of members want to discuss FW tanks, just make a thread under misc.

Archived