Pod Your Reef

A Shallow Cube

Zer0

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW! that's such a nice tank! Any info on equipment and livestock you plan on adding?

Thanks peewee

To be completely honest, I'm not too sure on what it is I want to do with this tank yet. It's definitely going to be a mixed reef, but with the main focus on Zoanthids/Palythoas. Definitely SPS though. I'm also looking to put in some schooling fish in there, maybe a few orange-lined cardinals or a similar species. I'll definitely update the thread when I'm set on what I want. As for the equipment, pretty much nothing lol. Probably a Koralia 1 for flow, definitely a sump which will be solely a refugium with a 5" DSB. I might run a skimmer.. not sure. Definitely an ATO system in the near future.

Dimensions?

20x20x10

Nice, I want to make my tank full of zoas/palys on the bottom with a whole bunch of SPS on the rock.

t5s or MH for this tank? =] hahah

Nice, I want to make my tank full of zoas/palys on the bottom with a whole bunch of SPS on the rock.

t5s or MH for this tank? =] hahah

That's actually a pretty cool idea.. maybe i'll do something similar! Zoas and lps on the bottom and sps on top. Good idea dude. Haven't decided on the lighting yet... but i'm now leaning more towards LED's!! Wooh! The 24led kit from RapidLED has caught my eye.. so we'll see. :)

LED's all day man! You might be interested in making a kit from Ledgroupbuy.com and nanotuners.com. Use nanotuners to buy the Thomas Research drivers. They don't require a dimming signal or internal adjustment like the meanwells. Just attach a pot and dim away

who did you order the tank from?

AdvanceAcrylics. John hooked me up big time on the price. The tank is flawless. It's the best tank I've ever owned. Practically no visible silicone anywhere. Plus, I fell in love with the rounded corners.

LED's all day man! You might be interested in making a kit from Ledgroupbuy.com and nanotuners.com. Use nanotuners to buy the Thomas Research drivers. They don't require a dimming signal or internal adjustment like the meanwells. Just attach a pot and dim away

Thanks for the information Meximazing! I will definitely check out those sites and look into the TR drivers. Can't wait for the LED's.

Two more pics.

Tank in all it's glory. On a non-glorious temporary stand.

339k753.jpg

I never even knew my POS had a macro setting, and i'm just finding out now that I like it a lot. The overflow is amazing on this tank.

2wfvnus.jpg

Picture Update:

I finally broke down and decided to do the VicSkimmer light tree. It is amazing, it's perfectly centered and i love it. Can't wait to attach my light to it. It already looks so clean even without the light.

2lbkqc3.jpg

Painted. Door being finished as well as light tree:

2n8at79.jpg

ddjs75.jpg

wut?

2q851es.jpg

That's all for now. More pictures later tonight when the stand is 100% complete and the light tree is back on.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks Hype! I thought the stand came out pretty well for having such a limited amount of tools. All i had was a circular saw and a nice sander.. Man.. I spent weeks on this stand. But all in all, i think it came out great. I'm actually really proud of it. I think this is going to be my best build.

I was going to take more pictures but in the middle of drying the light tree fell off of my dads workbench and scuffed up some of the paint so i had to re spray it. Pictures tomorrow of the finished build for sure.

Stay tuned!

Very sweet

Amazing. Following along here. As you must know I am a fan of shallow tanks :)

Keep the updates coming.

Thanks guys! I will definitely keep this thread updated. No slacking for me. :)

I never even knew my POS had a macro setting, and i'm just finding out now that I like it a lot. The overflow is amazing on this tank.

2wfvnus.jpg

What does POS even mean? I always think it's piece of sh!t when I see it. "I never even knew my POS had a macro setting" haha

nice build man, really coming along!! whats the plans for the scape? going to use live rock or some marco to whip something up?

Thanks dude. And yeah actually lol i will be using marco rocks. As for the scape, i'm not really sure yet, but i'll probably just make something up as i go.

What does POS even mean? I always think it's piece of sh!t when I see it. "I never even knew my POS had a macro setting" haha

I like to think it's both "Point and Shoot" and "Piece of Sh!t". Considering my camera is both.

Archived